Why does everybody hate on Broly so much?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Why does everybody hate on Broly so much?

Post by Yuli Ban » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:55 pm

A lot of Broly's haters don't actually hate Broly; they hate Broly's fans and how overhyped they make the man himself. This then translated into merchandise and games that made him out to be an unstoppable force who could hold his own against characters from arcs later. His creator also being a Broly fanboy didn't help.

A lot of the genuine dislike for Broly stems back to his bizarre backstory of "he hates Goku because he cried for hours when they were babies," a backstory that didn't exist in the original movie but was instead the result of badly done storytelling/subtlety and future movies/games/merchandise running with the barest implications of that subtlety. Broly didn't hate Goku because the latter cried as a baby, at least not in movie 8; it was his godly legendary ki reacting to Son Goku's indomitable battle spirit that triggered him and made him lose control with battle-lust. Heck, even movie 10 called back more to their infancy to parallel Goten's cries with Goku's spirit.

Broly himself is a powerful Super Saiyan who can possibly rival Super Perfect Cell in raw power.
Broly, the myth, is one of the most powerful fictional characters in all of history, able to eviscerate anyone from Boo, Super, and GT, go toe to toe with Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta, perhaps even surpass a Super Saiyan 5, crush any iteration of Hulk, clap Superman's cake ass, beat Super: Broly to a bloody pulp, just ridiculous power.
All because a baby cried in his ear. For like two hours. When he himself was also a baby.
And the fact Broly fanboys were so vocal about all this is the root of the majority of Broly hate. Not all of it, but a massive chunk of it.

TLDR: blame the DBZ games.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:52 pm

I believe the point about crying baby Kakarot is to illustrate how mentally stunted Broly is, not in a cruel ableist way, but to show that he's still a child at heart and so naturally associates Kakarot's crying with the rest of the insane trauma he went through as an infant, i.e. getting shanked then narrowly escaping the planet's destruction. To him, all those events plus his father's manipulation bundle into one massive ball of trauma that helped shape him into the remorseless psychopath he is. The crying baby just happens to be the bit he fixates on, perhaps because Death Ball planet explosions aren't so annoying in comparison when you're a Legendary Super Saiyan. :P On its face, it's no more ridiculous than Norman Bates fantasising about becoming his mother, or Annie Wilkes being crazily obsessed with her favourite author, or any of Batman's villains having the bizarre fixations they have. The rest of the context given goes a long way to making these villains as intimidating as they are. You add Broly's Saiyan bloodlust flaring up when Kakarot turns out to be pretty strong himself, and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Shintoki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shintoki » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:25 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:52 pm I believe the point about crying baby Kakarot is to illustrate how mentally stunted Broly is, not in a cruel ableist way, but to show that he's still a child at heart and so naturally associates Kakarot's crying with the rest of the insane trauma he went through as an infant, i.e
it's kinda baffling that toei chose to keep not only copypasting broly into their other works as is, but also made his vague background story from corked to worst. but yeah, i would reckon some hate broly partially due to how they feel that the amount of affection broly gets from his fans is undeserved due to his many caveats.
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:21 pm You could also, y'know, become a real buddhist
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 am Isn't this technically worshipping the Monkey King?

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:21 am

Movie8-Broly isn't traumatized.
Movie8-Broly is a pure, unadulterated DICK, who kills for fun and just has a little bit more of a bone to bite with Kakaroth because he was annoying as fuck as infant.

...then he gets literal brain damage starting from Movie-10.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:52 am

I revise my original assertion I commented in this thread. The people who hate Broly probably watched Movie 10 before Movie 8. He actually doesn’t say anything apart from KAKAROTTOOOO in “Second Coming”.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:09 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:15 pm
goku the krump dancer wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:57 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:32 pm I know I used to do it because I used to think that I was being a Real Artist by only liking Deep and Well Written Characters.
I think this was the mindset of most Broly haters back then and honestly that's common amongst the fandom as a whole, all it takes is for someone to decently articulate an unpopular opinion then before you know it, every try hard is regurgitating the same talking points.

Broly has always been WAY more popular than disliked, its just that the people who hate him so vehemently are the vocal minority.

That said, the Budokai 3 opening only served to push him harder than Movie's 8 or 10 by having him trade blows with Gogeta.
I know Broly is the subject, but ironically Goku has become the new stomping ground for Dragon Ball fans (heck, even down to casual anime fans who likely haven't even watched all of Dragon Ball) to do this with these days. I get not liking him in Super, but you see people left and right going out of their way to paint all iterations of Goku as a terrible character nowadays. At least it seems that way to me. The "bad" traits are brought up constantly while the traits that made him a beloved character aren't acknowledged.
Chalk it up to flavor of the month, personally I don't do much Dragon Balling outside of this website, so I never really noticed.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:08 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:09 pm Chalk it up to flavor of the month, personally I don't do much Dragon Balling outside of this website, so I never really noticed.
Tbh I don't either much these days. It's just something I've seen pop up even in non-Dragon Ball areas of the internet. But people complain about everything on the internet, so what do you expect, I guess? :lol:
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.