Did Gohan really call Buu a retard?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Did Gohan really call Buu a retard?

Post by DSB » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:33 am

Translated manga said slowpoke.

What was the correct japanese word used in the scene and what would it mean?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: Did Gohan really call Buu a retard?

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:21 am

herms slightly talked about it here. not sure what they went with for the kai subs, iirc it was something like Ignoramus lol.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:57 am

AFAIK, うすのろ means “half-wit”, which is a little less harsh than but similar to “retard”.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:33 pm

It's worth mentioning that at the time of translation, you couldn't go ten minutes without hearing 'retard' in high school. It wasn't 'The R Word' then like it is now. But due to the use as an insult, it eventually became insulting to refer to a 'retarded person' as such, so now it's avoided in lieu of...uh, I don't know actually. 'Mentally challenged'? I dunno. Sounds worse to me. But I digress...

It's also supposed to be shockingly rude and cocky for Gohan. The people around him were shocked from how unexpected and out-of-character that remark was. It was also meant to royally piss of Boo.

It was a fitting translation for the time. However, he doesn't refer to mental retardation in the Japanese version. There are words for that in Japanese, but I believe they're considered to be 'bad words'. Not in the way 'shit' is ridiculously considered 'bad', but as in an actually bad thing to say. The word in Japanese means 'half-wit', 'fool' or 'simpleton'.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:51 am

This moment in the series has puzzled my mind for many years and I don't think I'll ever understand.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:18 am

In Polish manga edition (from 2003) he called Buu trash/scumbag, like SSJ Goku called Freeza :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:40 am

In addition to the link to Jake's explanation above, I would also suggest up Julian's in-depth explanation from a podcast we did last year for some good context:

--> Direct Link to Segment <--
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:53 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:33 pm It was a fitting translation for the time. However, he doesn't refer to mental retardation in the Japanese version. There are words for that in Japanese, but I believe they're considered to be 'bad words'. Not in the way 'shit' is ridiculously considered 'bad', but as in an actually bad thing to say. The word in Japanese means 'half-wit', 'fool' or 'simpleton'.
The Japanese word for mentally retarded is 精薄, which uses the same kanji we find in 薄鈍. And 薄 on its own just has a completely neutral meaning of thin, dim, insufficient etc that we find in a ton of common words.

So... well no, not really. 薄鈍 is an insult because 薄 relates to the word 精薄, just like calling someone a retard in English is an insult because it relates to the phrase "mentally retarded". Not because 薄 and "retard" on their own have inherently negative meanings.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!