Would you classify the Buu as a symbiote?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Would you classify the Buu as a symbiote?

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:38 pm

He is a pile of shapeshifting pink goo that covers and possesses people and takes their abilities. And who also loves sugar.

I don't know the influences on the concept of Buu, but he could be the closest to a symbiote, if the symbiote was stronger than its host.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Would you classify the Buu as a symbiote?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:06 pm

Buu doesn't require a host or someone to absorb in order to live, move, and fight, though.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:40 am

From the wikipedia: "The symbiotes are an alien species of inorganic, amorphous and multicellular symbiotic parasites"

Ok let's see: alien yes, inorganic I don't think so as he has organic living tissue as we got to see the insides of Buu, amorphous... yes, multicelular parasites no.

that is two out of four so...

In a 2007 interview printed in Shonen Jump, Akira Toriyama stated that Buu's design was inspired by adaptations of One Thousand and One Nights (Arabian Nights) so he more like a genie.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:20 pm

I would think Baby would be a better example of that.

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:18 pm

By definition, a symbiote is two organisms that join together for mutual benefit.

Whoever Buu absorbs, gets no benefit from the situation. They sit around, inert, inside Buu. After some undisclosed time, they are completely digested, and cease to exist (Grand Supreme Kai).
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:35 pm

Zillamon51 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:18 pm By definition, a symbiote is two organisms that join together for mutual benefit.

Whoever Buu absorbs, gets no benefit from the situation. They sit around, inert, inside Buu. After some undisclosed time, they are completely digested, and cease to exist (Grand Supreme Kai).
Are you confusing DBS with DB Multiverse by any chance? Because people do not get "digested" by Boo and then fade away in the official series like they do in Salagir's fanfic. Dai Kaioshin still very much exists physically in Boo but merely lies dormant.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

blacksymbiote
Beyond Newbie

Post by blacksymbiote » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:53 pm

Buu's absorption is more parasitic than symbiotic.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:26 pm

Majin Boo, Venom and Carnage, Ivan Ooze... Were people in the 90s addicted to goo? I remember there being toys shaped like that to play with.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:58 pm

Desassina wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:26 pm Majin Boo, Venom and Carnage, Ivan Ooze... Were people in the 90s addicted to goo? I remember there being toys shaped like that to play with.
Technically Venom debuted in 1988.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Shintoki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shintoki » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:24 am

I think Boo is a more of a dimensional parasitic demon than a symbiote, tho i can see the similarities.
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:21 pm You could also, y'know, become a real buddhist
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 am Isn't this technically worshipping the Monkey King?

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:50 pm

theherodjl wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:35 pmAre you confusing DBS with DB Multiverse by any chance? Because people do not get "digested" by Boo and then fade away in the official series like they do in Salagir's fanfic. Dai Kaioshin still very much exists physically in Boo but merely lies dormant.
I'm only familiar with the anime canon, and the DBS manga. In DBZ, everyone Buu absorbed recently was cocooned inside his body. The Kai was nowhere to be seen. Since that happened millions of years ago, I assume he was digested. His consciousness resurfaced in DBS, but there was no indication his body still existed.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:57 pm

Now, some people are saying Buu is a parasite. That is also incorrect. By definition, a parasite is an organism that invades the body of another, which it typically does harm to, for its own benefit. Baby fits this description; Buu does not. His absorption is more like simple eating, except he takes on some traits or abilities of his victims. The closest thing I can think of in the natural world are poisonous frogs, that absorb and concentrate the venom of insects that they eat.

Shintoki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shintoki » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:57 pm

Shintoki wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:24 am I think Boo is a more of >a dimensional parasitic demon< than a symbiote, tho i can see the similarities.
i'd like to elucidate that what i posted specifically says ''a dimensional parasitic DEMON''. not a parasite, no idea if people may think boo is a latter rather than the former. :eh: just that boo is a walking living dimension-demon that leech on the energy and characteristics upon the ones he absorbs and warp up inside his body dimension as his power sources. a particular description used to refer to what he does rather than what he is. which is a demon after all.
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:21 pm You could also, y'know, become a real buddhist
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 am Isn't this technically worshipping the Monkey King?

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:42 pm

Zillamon51 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:50 pm
theherodjl wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:35 pmAre you confusing DBS with DB Multiverse by any chance? Because people do not get "digested" by Boo and then fade away in the official series like they do in Salagir's fanfic. Dai Kaioshin still very much exists physically in Boo but merely lies dormant.
I'm only familiar with the anime canon, and the DBS manga. In DBZ, everyone Buu absorbed recently was cocooned inside his body. The Kai was nowhere to be seen. Since that happened millions of years ago, I assume he was digested. His consciousness resurfaced in DBS, but there was no indication his body still existed.
The Fat Boo is Dai Kaioshin. He just got physically altered to resemble Pure Boo after being absorbed.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:17 am

Zillamon51 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:50 pm
Because you were looking in the wrong Buu. Mr. Buu, the one that was also cocooned, held the Dai Kaioushin and the South Kaioushin's bodies within him. So it was, in essence, an absorption within an absorption.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:36 am

When Kid Boo absorbed South Kaioshin, he was still himself in a new frame, but when Dai Kaioshin was taken in, the latter pretty much became Boo and went dormant, whether the previous absorption was in or not. In the end, Kid Boo died with or without South Kaioshin (we don't know), but Mr. Boo was not given a change besides power, because he pretty much is Dai Kaioshin in a Boo body. He can swap himself in and out when he awakens. There's nothing to indicate that the other Kaioshin can go through the same since he might not be there.

A similar situation happened with Super Boo. When Evil Boo ate the Good one, he put himself in the fat Boo's pod and swapped his fighting shape out by being in control from within. That's why he ceases to be himself when it's ripped out. What fighting shape is this? It's Kid Boo's with South Kaioshin toned down by Mr. Boo's absorption (i.e. Super Boo). Could Mr. Boo have taken over as an absorption in Super Boo? No. Therefore, South Kaioshin could not as well, since there were two dominant personalities, Evil Boo and Dai Kaioshin's, whether the latter was dormant or not.

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:24 am

Buu is not a parasite nor does it share a hive mind with other version of buu.

So no.