How would you fix anime Zamasu arc while keeping the same plotline?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

How would you fix anime Zamasu arc while keeping the same plotline?

Post by DSB » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:01 am

Like Trunks Rage form, the Spirit bomb, Infinite Zamasu, basically every major plot point has to be the same, but you can change the minor details or the flow of the story.

How would you do it?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: How would you fix anime Zamasu arc while keeping the same plotline?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:07 am

To me the arc is perfect, there's nothing I would fix :think:

If this doesn't count as a "major plot point", I'd completely rewrite this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykN9uOrnlJo

There's no way, not in a million years, that Goku could overpower a serious Fused Zamasu when earlier he was literally oneshot by a jobbing Fused Zamasu.

I am not someone who cares about power levels but this was just unacceptable to me; when 5 minutes earlier Fused Zamasu was able to oneshot Goku simply by crushing his fist, how exactly is Goku here standing against Fused Zamasu's strongest move? I don't really care if he was using his "full power" because he should still be an insect to a Potara Fusion.

At least the Trunks scene can be explained away with Fused Zamasu falling apart both physically and mentally, which significantly weakened him. But here Fused Zamasu was in his prime.

So I'd probably rewrite how Fused Zamasu gets disfigured. Maybe he could get disfigured as a result of the Father-Son Galick gun instead, so that the scene is not just fanservice (basically the ending of the Cell saga but with Vegeta and Trunks instead, so original).

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:12 am

The manga version is great. Only thing I'd fix is the ending: Trunks stays so he can find a way to revive his timeline (I'd get rid ot that stupid "two Trunks and two Mai's" thing). This and later he can fight in Tournament of Power to repay everyone for help in fighting Goku Black.
The anime version is good only in half, I'd get rid of it and animate manga's events (with my ending).
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:17 am

If it's taken out do we lose anything from any arc after it? Seriously think about it.

It's kinda pointless imo, but hey what do I know. People like it a lot it seems.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:02 pm

- There would be a mention to Makaios and Makaioshins. And an explanation as to why Zamasu didn't become a Makaio.

- There would be an allusion to Kaioshin of Time at some point.

- No Super Saiyan Rage (or that power-up thing in the manga).

- Goku Black would most likely be an actual evil Goku.

- Super Saiyan Rosé wouldn't be a recolor (obviously it wouldn't have this name either).

- That rift Goku Black opened would serve a purpose (much in the same vein as Xenoverse 2 did).

- Way more characters interactions.

- Either Gogeta or Vegenks would fight against Merged Zamasu (most likely the latter).

- The saga would end with Trunks becoming Time Patroller.

Fixed. So much better. But to think at least half of these could/should've happened... What a waste of opportunities.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:06 pm

I'd condense it down to about eight or so episodes. I'd also give Merged Zamasu a sort of defected mind that made it hard for him to handle multiple foes at once, which would give Gokuu and Vegeta and advantage without merging themselves. Zamasu would then split back apart after his time runs out and Gokuu Black would be killed by Trunks after using Zamasu--who he thought was still immortal--as a shield.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:16 pm

Trouser wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:12 am The manga version is great. Only thing I'd fix is the ending: Trunks stays so he can find a way to revive his timeline (I'd get rid ot that stupid "two Trunks and two Mai's" thing). This and later he can fight in Tournament of Power to repay everyone for help in fighting Goku Black.
The anime version is good only in half, I'd get rid of it and animate manga's events (with my ending).
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:12 pm

- I would reduce the amount of journeys to the future, it's like their new vacation destiny at this point.
- Give Trunks a SS3 form, or have them do the ritual and have SSG Trunks. Also, have Trunks learn genki dama or something like that from either Goku or Kaioshin. Or keep SS Rage but for the love of god, explain what the hell that is.
- Explain those tears in the space-time fabric, not even Black knew what they were, talk about being fucking lazy, Toei. At least, remove that stupid quote.
- Fix those fights that make no sense, actually the fights aren't a problem, but certain scenes, like SS2 Trunks surviving the same point black attack Blue Goku did. Also, how Zamasu got disfigured could be tweaked a bit, instead of just Goku doing it, have the three saiyans combine their strength.
- There's also too many chests getting pierced with no real consequences.
- I'd remove the genki sword because it's pointless, that whole thing amounts to nothing and it comes out of nowhere, I prefer the manga's more down to Earth useless intervention of Trunks.
- Have Trunks stay with the main cast, or have him do something else than go live in doppelganger land, the whole Time Patroller thing could've worked.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:30 pm

I can't keep all the same overall plot beats. Not for this arc, and not with that abysmal ending. But I do have plans which I'll eventually someday put into the form of a larger Super rewrite fanfic, and the major-ish changes for this arc include...
  • Fewer back-and-forth trips to the future. Only 2, really; The first one where they expect to take down Goku Black easily but then things go south right quick, and the latter where they actually DO defeat Black and Zamas and the day is saved.
  • No creepy romance between Future Trunks and Mai. It's just not a thing, even if Future Mai herself is still a plot factor or even exists at all.
  • Building on things I'd do in previous arcs, Vegeta undergoes some meaningful mid-arc character and strength growth during this one. He'd use Zamas' own methods against him, to put it intentionally vaguely.
  • No pointless, needless, stupid-ass Potara retcon. Black and Zamas still use the Potara to permanently merge when they're backed into a corner. But then Gogeta appears to fight him instead of Vegetto. A godly-method fusion of two gods then spends half an hour getting his face brutally slammed into the dirt by a merger of two mortals using a mortal fusion method, and the poetic justice is damned delicious.
  • I don't want to spoil too much about my planned finale... but the short version is that Gogeta can't quite get the job done, so the final blow ultimately falls to Trunks, who gets a new big and fancy (but sensible and pre-established) power-up to save the day without any genocidal oval-headed little rotters getting involved.
  • Since his entire universe and everything he's ever fought for wasn't erased from existence... Trunks doesn't just get unceremoniously shuffled off to an out-of-nowhere duplicate timeline. But Beerus makes it clear that, even though they'll overlook his time-travel transgression this time since it was another god causing trouble, he's strictly forbidden from ever doing it again. So this is the last we'd ever see of Future Trunks, but I'd leave some hints that things in his timeline are going to get even better from now on. Solely out of spite for the arc's bleak original ending.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:00 pm

- Explanations about some power levels and SS Rage with some convenient comments, like "this 'Merged Zamasu' is way stronger than us, but his energy keeps fluctuating, we just need to attack in the right time" or "Zamasu used the energy of the rift to stabilize himself, but Black's body is still giving he problems"
- Mirai Chichi making an apparence or being mentioned
- Instead of returning to the past, Goku teleports himself and Vegeta to Other World. In there, he finds himself (Mirai Goku) and Vegeta finds Mirai Bulma. Later Goku learns about the Mafuba with Piccolo and/or Roshi, but the technique wouldn't work because Black intervenes
- Goku making the Genkidama, but with Trunks asking to people for energy (with the help of Mirai Kaioh)

And that's it, I think. Also, no Time Patroller or Kaioshin of Time (I'm really glad these things aren't in the canon/main story/whatever).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:41 pm

I forgot that I wrote this version where Zamasu is introduced during the Champa arc and then that leads into the Gokuu Black arc. :lol:
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:24 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:02 pm - There would be a mention to Makaios and Makaioshins. And an explanation as to why Zamasu didn't become a Makaio.

- There would be an allusion to Kaioshin of Time at some point.

- No Super Saiyan Rage (or that power-up thing in the manga).

- Goku Black would most likely be an actual evil Goku.

- Super Saiyan Rosé wouldn't be a recolor (obviously it wouldn't have this name either).

- That rift Goku Black opened would serve a purpose (much in the same vein as Xenoverse 2 did).

- Way more characters interactions.

- Either Gogeta or Vegenks would fight against Merged Zamasu (most likely the latter).

- The saga would end with Trunks becoming Time Patroller.

Fixed. So much better. But to think at least half of these could/should've happened... What a waste of opportunities.
Do you like, read? Rage IS mandatory to keep as started in OP

Shintoki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shintoki » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:36 pm

Kaboom wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:30 pm I can't keep all the same overall plot beats. Not for this arc, and not with that abysmal ending. But I do have plans which I'll eventually someday put into the form of a larger Super rewrite fanfic, and the major-ish changes for this arc include...
  • Fewer back-and-forth trips to the future. Only 2, really; The first one where they expect to take down Goku Black easily but then things go south right quick, and the latter where they actually DO defeat Black and Zamas and the day is saved.
  • No creepy romance between Future Trunks and Mai. It's just not a thing, even if Future Mai herself is still a plot factor or even exists at all.
  • Building on things I'd do in previous arcs, Vegeta undergoes some meaningful mid-arc character and strength growth during this one. He'd use Zamas' own methods against him, to put it intentionally vaguely.
  • No pointless, needless, stupid-ass Potara retcon. Black and Zamas still use the Potara to permanently merge when they're backed into a corner. But then Gogeta appears to fight him instead of Vegetto. A merger of two gods via a godly fusion method then spends half an hour getting his face brutally slammed into the dirt by a merger of two mortals using a mortal fusion method, and the poetic justice is damned delicious.
  • I don't want to spoil too much about my planned finale... but the short version is that Gogeta can't quite get the job done, so the final blow ultimately falls to Trunks, who gets a new big and fancy (but sensible and pre-established) power-up to save the day without any genocidal oval-headed little rotters getting involved.
  • Since his entire universe and everything he's ever fought for wasn't erased from existence... Trunks doesn't just get unceremoniously shuffled off to an out-of-nowhere duplicate timeline. But Beerus makes it clear that, even though they'll overlook his time-travel transgression this time since it was another god causing trouble, he's strictly forbidden from ever doing it again. So this is the last we'd ever see of Future Trunks, but I'd leave some hints that things in his timeline are going to get even better from now on. Solely out of spite for the arc's bleak original ending.
that part is the best and most clever DB related thing i ever read since a while. good job, kaboom. this was an amazing thought, and now i can't help but think toyotaro wasted a huge opportunity by using vegito instead of gogeta.

The ending of that arc is so atrocious and makes no sense at why trunks is not mentally damaged over his whole world being dead. :wtf: Yours feel about as DB in spirit as it gets. heck, it feels nothing but as a stupid edgy fest in retrospect now that the super dragon balls are a thing and no one is trying to revive and wish the dead and that timeline back. :crazy:

easily the worst arc in all of DB from a narrative standpoint.
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:21 pm You could also, y'know, become a real buddhist
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 am Isn't this technically worshipping the Monkey King?

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:43 am

Let's see.

- Goku will use Super Saiyan 3 in his first fight with Goku Black. He will eventually need to use Super Saiyan God to turn the tables before Goku Black is sent back into the future.
- I would dedicate an entire episode to Future Babidi's attack on Earth. This is one of the few things the manga did better than the anime. The episode would end differently though, Future Shin survives and returns to the Kaioshin planet only for Goku Black to suddenly appear and kill him there. No Kaioshin apprentice Future Trunks nonsense. I would put this episode after episode 51 so it will be episode 52.
- It will be explained that Future Trunks used Quake of Fury in episode 57 (Now episode 58 thanks to the addition of the flashback episode) and later on that Super Saiyan Rage is an evolved state of that.
- Zamasu will attack Shin instead of Goku in episode 59 (Now episode 60).
- I would reduce Fused Zamasu's corrupted arm a bit. It really only looks good when he bulks up.
- I would end episode 66 (Now episode 67) at Vegetto defusing. Giving his fight with Fused Zamasu more time and making Fused Zamasu's body more damaged as a result.
- The next episode (Now episode 68) starts with Goku and Vegeta barely surviving fighting Fused Zamasu and Future Trunks having a longer fight with him. Future Kaio gets involved and along with Goku, help get energy for the Genki Sword from the whole universe. The episode ends with Infinite Zamasu's birth.
- Infinite Zamasu will talk and will be shown to spread to universe 6 and even the afterlife after killing the Earthlings. He will be shown killing Future Kaio, Bubbles, Gregory, Hit, Frost and Cabba (Along with the universe 6 Saiyans). The rest of the episode (now episode 69) plays out the same as episode 67 of original Super.

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:51 am

ZombieVito wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:43 am Let's see.

- Goku will use Super Saiyan 3 in his first fight with Goku Black. He will eventually need to use Super Saiyan God to turn the tables before Goku Black is sent back into the future.
- I would dedicate an entire episode to Future Babidi's attack on Earth. This is one of the few things the manga did better than the anime. The episode would end differently though, Future Shin survives and returns to the Kaioshin planet only for Goku Black to suddenly appear and kill him there. No Kaioshin apprentice Future Trunks nonsense. I would put this episode after episode 51 so it will be episode 52.
- It will be explained that Future Trunks used Quake of Fury in episode 57 (Now episode 58 thanks to the addition of the flashback episode) and later on that Super Saiyan Rage is an evolved state of that.
- Zamasu will attack Shin instead of Goku in episode 59 (Now episode 60).
- I would reduce Fused Zamasu's corrupted arm a bit. It really only looks good when he bulks up.
- I would end episode 66 (Now episode 67) at Vegetto defusing. Giving his fight with Fused Zamasu more time and making Fused Zamasu's body more damaged as a result.
- The next episode (Now episode 68) starts with Goku and Vegeta barely surviving fighting Fused Zamasu and Future Trunks having a longer fight with him. Future Kaio gets involved and along with Goku, help get energy for the Genki Sword from the whole universe. The episode ends with Infinite Zamasu's birth.
- Infinite Zamasu will talk and will be shown to spread to universe 6 and even the afterlife after killing the Earthlings. He will be shown killing Future Kaio, Bubbles, Gregory, Hit, Frost and Cabba (Along with the universe 6 Saiyans). The rest of the episode (now episode 69) plays out the same as episode 67 of original Super.
ooh i like this

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:10 am

I remember hearing this suggested somewhere, and I think it's a brilliant idea. Only problem is it would replace the Spirit Sword and I actually really like that thematically:

Have the final battle between Vegetto and Trunks vs Merged Zamasu play out the same, but instead Trunks slicing Zamasu in two, he slices the finger with the time ring on it off instead, Isildur-style. This causes Zamasu to become destabilised since the time ring was preventing Black from being erased from Beerus' hakai. I can't remember if Trunks was aware of that, if not throw in some exposition earlier where he learns about it so there's precedent. This causes Merged Zamasu to unfuse, leaving behind a distorted future Zamasu, which creates a paradox threatening to destabilise everything, necessitating bringing in Zeno.

As a side effect, erasing Black from history would undo all the death and damage he caused, momentarily causing the Earth and most of the killed Earthlings to be restored, including Future Bulma. This will make it all the more deliciously cruel when Zeno wipes them all out anyway.

Other change is the one everyone has already suggested which is cut down on the trips to the future. All that happens in the second one is getting the confirmation that Zamasu stole Goku's body, Trunks going SSRage and staying behind, all of which can be rolled back to the first visit. Between visits one and two you'd have the visit to present Zamasu for his hakai-ing. Though on reflection that would remove the motivation for them to learn the Mafuba (since they wouldn't know Zamasu would still be there), but that can be cut with minimal loss.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:55 am

DSB wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:01 am Like Trunks Rage form, the Spirit bomb, Infinite Zamasu, basically every major plot point has to be the same, but you can change the minor details or the flow of the story.

How would you do it?
Here’s how I’d explain what you mentioned:

Trunks’ rage form: Trunks being starved and in constant danger altered his S cells some what, to the point when pushed over the edge he accessed a new form, this is due to the type of environment he’s been subjected to for the past year. Basically a really powerful Super Saiyan form, it’s more closely related to SS2 though.

Trunks’ Genki-Dama: Trunks uses the ki from all remaining survivors on Earth to create a genki-dama like attack. Though not quite the genki-dama.

Infinite Zamasu: being granted immortality meant even Zamasu’s spirit was immortal, free from the constraints of having to go to the afterlife. After losing his physical body he essentially was able to merge with the universe due to what the Dragon granted him.

So this is for a anime rewrite:

First I’m going to list some issues in the original:

Not sticking to Toriyama’s notes on Goku Black having two Super Saiyan forms, instead opting to merge them into making Rosé.

Goku Black’s unexplainable ability to get incredibly strong from just one fight.

Trunks’ unexplained form pulled from nowhere.

Fused Zamasu’s overpowered strength, instead of the nuanced take Toriyama had.

Trunks fighting on par with Rosé

I would have everything play out the way it does in the anime up until the time Goku Black travels back in time, instead I’d have his time ring react giving him a clue on what happened to Trunks. Goku Black would not be able to travel because of his Kaioshin in training status.

I would remove Trunks going third grade in training, and have everything else play out the way it does.

Next when Son Goku and co go to the future, they gain Black’s attention, in which they meet for the first time. Goku Black fights Son and they both end up going Super Saiyan. Black is slowly learning how to use Son Goku’s body while fighting him, eventually, Goku gets serious and deals a lot of damage to him. Goku joins back with co and go over to where Black was knocked into, out the smoke appears two figures, Black and Zamasu.

Black fully healed, has a back and fourth conversation with the gang, this eventually leads up to Black charging in on Son who now jumps to SSGSS. Upon being told Black got stronger Son says he will finish it, obviously he does not. This leads to Black being healed again after being beaten down, to which he is now able to almost utilise Son’s techniques, and overpowers him. Black then goes Rosé. It is said that the form is that of SSGSS.

Vegeta goes in to fight, to which he’s defeated, the gang retreat back to the future. In the future there’s no senzu left so they are left to wait.

The gang go back to the future only to make Black stronger and they get beaten down badly, this time Trunks doesn’t return with Son and Vegeta.

Finally senzu’s are ready and Vegeta goes to train, while Son goes to learn the containment wave in order to lock Zamasu away.

Meanwhile in the future, Trunks fights off Black and Zamasu. Trunks almost dies and retreats. Later, back at the hide out, Black and Zamasu talk about their plan, Goku Black’s personality is slowly altering and he’s becoming more Saiyan like in nature.

Back in the present the gang are ready to go back. They get back and find Trunks and Black and Zamasu engaged in battle. Vegeta almost immediately goes after Black, not giving the arrogant God a moment to improve. Son Goku fights Zamasu.

Goku Black and Vegeta are close to even, Black combining his own martial art knowledge with Son’s, he becomes stronger, Vegeta begins to push harder to prevent Black from getting even stronger, Black is overpowered and loses.

Zamasu is sealed. Goku Black takes a moment to think and calm down. He realises that Zamasu’s ki is gone and is confused. Black focuses on Vegeta and gives him a couple kicks and fatigues him.

Zamasu breaks free and Black senses this, he teleports to him. Zamasu tells Black what happened and this concerns them both, as Black is certain he will be overpowered next time if Zamasu is gone and he’s attacked from all sides. This ultimately leads them to fusing.

Fusion Zamasu is born. Zamasu, now fused, isn’t as strong as the original anime story line, due to the fact Zamasu wasn’t all that impressive compared to Black. However, Zamasu’s techniques are perfectly honed which makes him even more deadlier.

As you can imagine, Zamasu beats one SSGSS, however, two prove to be too much. This is negated though by Zamasu’s immortality. Trunks, Vegeta and Son go all out and hurt Zamasu badly, however he heals and ends up almost killing the gang.

Since everything plays out the same at the beginning, Son ends up finding the Zeno button, he presses it. Zeno appears, erases timeline, blah blah.

Now whether Trunks goes to some timeline where there’s duplicates, I don’t know, it depends what Toriyama wanted. I don’t know.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:22 am

Also, fix Black's asspull of a power up. Saiyans don't work that way, they don't just get hit and suddenly their power increases so much, kaios or kaioshin don't work that way either, so what gives? just have Zamasu heal him every now and then, like in the manga.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:13 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:22 am Also, fix Black's asspull of a power up. Saiyans don't work that way, they don't just get hit and suddenly their power increases so much, kaios or kaioshin don't work that way either, so what gives? just have Zamasu heal him every now and then, like in the manga.
It can be explained away super easily.

Black is recovering the untapped power of that body. Don't you find odd that he doesn't get stronger in episode 63? He needs to apply rage in order to get stronger in episode 64 because he was already at that's body limit by then.

Think of it as what happened to Ginyu in the anime Namek arc.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:23 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:13 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:22 am Also, fix Black's asspull of a power up. Saiyans don't work that way, they don't just get hit and suddenly their power increases so much, kaios or kaioshin don't work that way either, so what gives? just have Zamasu heal him every now and then, like in the manga.
It can be explained away super easily.

Black is recovering the untapped power of that body. Don't you find odd that he doesn't get stronger in episode 63? He needs to apply rage in order to get stronger in episode 64 because he was already at that's body limit by then.

Think of it as what happened to Ginyu in the anime Namek arc.
What untapped power? Namek arc Goku had a lot of it, sure... DBS Goku's body shouldn't. Actually, the manga says so. The worst of it, it's never explained.