DBS: does a third movie continuity exists?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shintoki
Beyond Newbie

DBS: does a third movie continuity exists?

Post by Shintoki » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:47 pm

i think it does but i've seen a lot of people who say that it doesn't. my rationale is that Toriyama confirmed in interviews before that BOG/ROF are one continuity, and broly seems to follow up on that note with it ignoring the manga/tv anime. and toyotaro and toei versions of super are as separate as they go from each other, let alone the movies.

so what are your thoughts on this, guys? :crazy:
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:21 pm You could also, y'know, become a real buddhist
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 am Isn't this technically worshipping the Monkey King?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: DBS: does a third movie continuity exists?

Post by Grimlock » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:20 pm

It should be perfectly clear by now and no ounce of doubt about this, but yes, the movies are in another continuity, separated from the anime and manga, given the many differences in how things play out, different scale, as well as (notable) omissions and additions.

And to those who say it doesn't, just ask them to provide a source that states the movies aren't considered anymore (though I warn you beforehand: expect either "blah blah blah" wthout a source or no source/reply at all).
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:24 am

I like to think so.

BoG and RoF work perfectly back 2 back, of course. Broly fits that continuity without having any major component or connection to them, aside of SSB looking similar only to RoF's. It works great in a vacuum and also as a follow up for the first two movies.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:37 am

I've always considered the movies as an alternative reality where the situations from the manga/anime might have a repercussion and it is the same characters but does not necessarily fit into the timeline.

I am still hyped about the new movie.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:00 am

BoG and RoF are undoubtedly the same continuity as that was the only one that existed at the time.

But I think the super continuity is a lot less concrete than just saying there is a "movie continuity". I seriously doubt that Broly and the next movie are only going to consider the movies as the true versions and as the continuity they take place in. For example: if there was a battle of gods flashback in one of the movies, I'm pretty sure that it would take place on the ship from the manga/anime rather than West City. The Broly movie doesn't seem to imply the whole "base forms absorbed the power of super saiyan god" thing that the first 2 films explicitly show also.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:10 am

I personally think the movies hold more weight since the Super manga and anime versions are usually extremely modified, Toriyama encourages Toyotaro to add in his own stuff, but then Toriyama doesn’t even consider them cannon from the looks of it. I wonder if Toriyama will see Granola as fitting in his cannon?

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:20 am

I think BoG and RoF were a third continuity but its not BoG RoF Broly.

Broly is a sequel to the anime and manga.

I think the BoG RoF movie continuity has been superceeded by the manga in Toryiamas mind, he works on and oks the manga and it came out after the first two movies and contradicts them.

So theres not really been more than 2 at any given time, the movie one is defunct imo.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:15 pm

TobyS wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:20 am I think BoG and RoF were a third continuity but its not BoG RoF Broly.

I think the BoG RoF movie continuity has been superceeded by the manga in Toryiamas mind, he works on and oks the manga and it came out after the first two movies and contradicts them.

So theres not really been more than 2 at any given time, the movie one is defunct imo.
This. The stories of the movies have been "polished" into the story, though the only real difference is the location of Bulma's birthday and Tagoma's fate.

I think the movie continuity has sort of merged with the manga one. That's why BoGs is so abreviated and FnF is skipped altogether in the manga.
Aim wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:10 am I personally think the movies hold more weight since the Super manga and anime versions are usually extremely modified, Toriyama encourages Toyotaro to add in his own stuff, but then Toriyama doesn’t even consider them cannon from the looks of it. I wonder if Toriyama will see Granola as fitting in his cannon?
Pretty sure Toriyama has been overseeing and sometimes even taking direct action over some pieces of the series. He's been co-writting the manga with Toyotaro, and everything we've seen this far fits his canon.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:22 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:15 pm
TobyS wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:20 am I think BoG and RoF were a third continuity but its not BoG RoF Broly.

This. The stories of the movies have been "polished" into the story, though the only real difference is the location of Bulma's birthday and Tagoma's fate.

I think the movie continuity has sort of merged with the manga one. That's why BoGs is so abreviated and FnF is skipped altogether in the manga.
Aim wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:10 am I personally think the movies hold more weight since the Super manga and anime versions are usually extremely modified, Toriyama encourages Toyotaro to add in his own stuff, but then Toriyama doesn’t even consider them cannon from the looks of it. I wonder if Toriyama will see Granola as fitting in his cannon?
Pretty sure Toriyama has been overseeing and sometimes even taking direct action over some pieces of the series. He's been co-writting the manga with Toyotaro, and everything we've seen this far fits his canon.
Not entirely. Full power SSGSS doesn’t seem to exist and that’s pretty evident when Toriyama’s stories are told. He may be co writing, but consistently the movies have ignored both the anime and manga.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:44 pm

Aim wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:22 pm Not entirely. Full power SSGSS doesn’t seem to exist and that’s pretty evident when Toriyama’s stories are told. He may be co writing, but consistently the movies have ignored both the anime and manga.
Doesn't the Broly movie acknowledge the events of the ToP at the beginning of the movie? Freeza being alive already shows a lot of stuff has happened since the last movie. I think the movies try to be vague in order to not contradict the series, but that's a far cry from the series not fitting with the movies. The manga even acknowledges the events of FnF and Broly.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:59 am

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:44 pm
Aim wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:22 pm Not entirely. Full power SSGSS doesn’t seem to exist and that’s pretty evident when Toriyama’s stories are told. He may be co writing, but consistently the movies have ignored both the anime and manga.
Doesn't the Broly movie acknowledge the events of the ToP at the beginning of the movie? Freeza being alive already shows a lot of stuff has happened since the last movie. I think the movies try to be vague in order to not contradict the series, but that's a far cry from the series not fitting with the movies. The manga even acknowledges the events of FnF and Broly.
Just because it acknowledges the same events doesn’t mean it’s the same continuity. It’s obvious by now that Toriyama doesn’t consider SSGSS Kaioken from the anime to be a thing in his universe.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:33 am

While they note the absence of aura in the perfected SSB, after they both achieve it and there is no more need for such differentiation the form just becomes the new SSB and is shown with aura in multiple occasions, so I think that is not really a consideration.

That is not to say that the manga and movies are part of a same continuity tho, I definitely agree with TobyS on that it seems to be BoG + RoF, and then Broly considered DBS. Even if there is no real relevant incongruity with the manga and both are meant to be the continuation of the DB manga, I doubt Toei will give special consideration to the manga over the different and more commercial anime version, and they are in charge of the final product, including details that may seemingly contradict either version.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:47 am

Obviously there is. The differences the BoG and RoF films have from the TV episodes and manga chapters are too significant to attempt to incorporate them into either continuity.
Broly can arguable fit into either one, unless a hypothetical anime show does a retelling of it.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:50 am

You could make that argument if you really wanted to dwell on the Online Forum Canon debates, but the vast majority of people will simply incorporate the movies to the Anime.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:56 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:50 am You could make that argument if you really wanted to dwell on the Online Forum Canon debates, but the vast majority of people will simply incorporate the movies to the Anime.
If I were to chose which one to incorporate the films into, I would honestly go with the manga. The BoG and RoF arcs are not as prominent there than the anime.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:55 am

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:56 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:50 am You could make that argument if you really wanted to dwell on the Online Forum Canon debates, but the vast majority of people will simply incorporate the movies to the Anime.
If I were to chose which one to incorporate the films into, I would honestly go with the manga. The BoG and RoF arcs are not as prominent there than the anime.
Since movies are still an animated medium made by Toei, it's kind of natural to simply go along and incorporate them into the Anime/see them as a different way to experience the events of the Anime arcs.

And if I'm not mistaken the Manga straight up skipped two of those 3 movies.

THEORETICALLY, you can say that they form a different continuity. In practice, I don't think most people care enough to make that distinction :think:

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:31 am

1. Dragon Ball Z anime -> Dragon Ball Z movies (excluding Battle of Gods and Resurrection F) -> Dragon Ball GT & GT movies

2. Dragon Ball manga -> Battle of Gods -> Resurrection F

3. Dragon Ball Z anime -> Dragon Ball Super anime -> Dragon Ball Super Broly -> Dragon Ball Super Super Hero

I include the Dragon Ball Z anime since Gregory, Toei Yardrats and other toei only creations are referenced. Some events from the anime, such as Pikkon beating up Frieza and Cell, or Frieza watching Kid Buu in Hell, didn't seem to happen.

4. Some events in Dragon Ball Super anime (Super Saiyan Blue evolution and the Resurrection F arc) -> Dragon Ball Super Manga -> Dragon Ball Super Broly -> Dragon Ball Super Super Hero.

I think the Dragon Ball Super movies exist in two separate continuities for the manga and anime.

Really, there's four continuities.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:16 am

Jack Bz wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:00 am BoG and RoF are undoubtedly the same continuity as that was the only one that existed at the time.

But I think the super continuity is a lot less concrete than just saying there is a "movie continuity". I seriously doubt that Broly and the next movie are only going to consider the movies as the true versions and as the continuity they take place in. For example: if there was a battle of gods flashback in one of the movies, I'm pretty sure that it would take place on the ship from the manga/anime rather than West City. The Broly movie doesn't seem to imply the whole "base forms absorbed the power of super saiyan god" thing that the first 2 films explicitly show also.
Oh yes, I forgot about that. Yes, I have changed my mind. Down to Earth base forms like in the manga unlike RoF and the anime.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:09 am

I believe you can take it or leave it. It's all one storyline. Some of the details are different between the movies and super but they are all going the same direction. Goku can't use UI on command so it never bothered me in Broly. Kio Blue and Blue Evo would have been cool in Broly but there were already many awesome transformations in Broly.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat