Was it ever explained why Majin Vegeta turned into a stone statue?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jord
Advanced Regular

Was it ever explained why Majin Vegeta turned into a stone statue?

Post by Jord » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:30 am

The whole Final Explosion was cool but it was always weird to me how he turned into a garden statue afterwards. I can see how he would completely disintegrate or just leave a body but the statue thing just didn't make any sense. Never happened in any other point in the series as well.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Was it ever explained why Majin Vegeta turned into a stone statue?

Post by Saiya6Cit » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:14 am

I always interpreted it as if he "burned" all his energy, so it is not that he was a solid statue at any time but rather that it was a collection of ashes in the shape of Vegeta's body that "broke" at the fall.

If you think about it the human body is approximately 99% comprised of just six elements: Oxygen, Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Carbon, Calcium, and Phosphorus. Five other elements make up about 0.85% of the remaining mass: sulfur, potassium, sodium, chlorine, and magnesium.

So it makes sense to me.

Why did he not get closer to majin buu before exploding (ala chiaotzu) which would have actually been more effective, it's beyond me.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:55 am

I am pretty sure that the amount of ki that he exuded was so concentrated that it combusted all his organic structures, leaving only ash and inorganic material.
Saiya6Cit wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:14 am Why did he not get closer to majin buu before exploding (ala chiaotzu) which would have actually been more effective, it's beyond me.
If Vegeta tried to get any close, Buu most likely would've either moved back or smacked him.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:04 am

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:55 am I am pretty sure that the amount of ki that he exuded was so concentrated that it combusted all his organic structures, leaving only ash and inorganic material.
Saiya6Cit wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:14 am Why did he not get closer to majin buu before exploding (ala chiaotzu) which would have actually been more effective, it's beyond me.
If Vegeta tried to get any close, Buu most likely would've either moved back or smacked him.
You have a point.

Vegeta did his best, and his best was not enough :thumbdown:

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:18 am

Yep for sure ash.

I think people assume stone becasue we just saw statue Piccolo and Statue Kuririn for ages right before.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:52 am

Why would it not be ash? Stone doesn’t fall to the ground so softly like that.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:25 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:14 am I always interpreted it as if he "burned" all his energy, so it is not that he was a solid statue at any time but rather that it was a collection of ashes in the shape of Vegeta's body that "broke" at the fall.

If you think about it the human body is approximately 99% comprised of just six elements: Oxygen, Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Carbon, Calcium, and Phosphorus. Five other elements make up about 0.85% of the remaining mass: sulfur, potassium, sodium, chlorine, and magnesium.

So it makes sense to me.

Why did he not get closer to majin buu before exploding (ala chiaotzu) which would have actually been more effective, it's beyond me.
Great explanation. For the last part, I think he just wanted his attack to go off without a hitch and if he got any closer, it's likely Buu could have stopped him in any number of ways.

Saiya6Cit has the best explanation I've heard so far, but I always had a simpler explanation. I always thought Vegeta was the first character we've seen use every last ounce of energy he had, so much so that it left his body as a husk.

In the anime scene, it almost looks like Vegeta uses life energy too
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:22 am

Saiya6Cit wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:14 am I always interpreted it as if he "burned" all his energy, so it is not that he was a solid statue at any time but rather that it was a collection of ashes in the shape of Vegeta's body that "broke" at the fall.

So it makes sense to me.

Great explanation. You totally made sense.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:09 am

BWri wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:25 pm

In the anime scene, it almost looks like Vegeta uses life energy too
He is using life energy, because ki is life energy. Contrary to what the Funimation dub tried to push, that there are two different forms of energy within the body, and that life energy could be added in, ki is life energy in the original manga and anime.

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:33 pm

It's a tribute of sorts for the Hiroshima victims who died the same way. Putting that in context and the eerie silent soundtrack of the OG Japanese version, the death was NOT meant to be viewed as heroic or even redemption. It's tragic, a punishment.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:11 am

nhienphan2808 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:33 pm It's a tribute of sorts for the Hiroshima victims who died the same way. Putting that in context and the eerie silent soundtrack of the OG Japanese version, the death was NOT meant to be viewed as heroic or even redemption. It's tragic, a punishment.
Yeah...as much as I love the track Sumitomo used for Kai: TFC, it really didn't belong in that moment at all. I suppose it was trying to signify Vegeta's change (and it was used appropriate later in the "Kakarot, You are #1 monologue), but the silence of the OG Japanese sequence is striking.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:34 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:11 am
nhienphan2808 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:33 pm It's a tribute of sorts for the Hiroshima victims who died the same way. Putting that in context and the eerie silent soundtrack of the OG Japanese version, the death was NOT meant to be viewed as heroic or even redemption. It's tragic, a punishment.
Yeah...as much as I love the track Sumitomo used for Kai: TFC, it really didn't belong in that moment at all. I suppose it was trying to signify Vegeta's change (and it was used appropriate later in the "Kakarot, You are #1 monologue), but the silence of the OG Japanese sequence is striking.
Not only the anime, the OG Tankobon manga had this Toyotomi Hideyoshi's poem about vain on the cover of the chapter.
https://gyazo.com/9f21b02d6212c8acf8ee0d1ff3956e99
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:22 am

Darkprince410 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:09 am He is using life energy, because ki is life energy. Contrary to what the Funimation dub tried to push, that there are two different forms of energy within the body, and that life energy could be added in, ki is life energy in the original manga and anime.
It's nebulous, but there is something of a difference even by Toriyama-san's admission. Herms explains it in this old thread: viewtopic.php?t=14734. Funi probably just picked up on that and ran with it. It's not an entirely separate type of "energy" but it is a specific component of ki.

That said, I think I did mix Funi's concept of Genki in with this one in the original statement I made. I grew up with the dub so its difficult to let go of some concepts.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:58 pm

BWri wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:22 am
Darkprince410 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:09 am He is using life energy, because ki is life energy. Contrary to what the Funimation dub tried to push, that there are two different forms of energy within the body, and that life energy could be added in, ki is life energy in the original manga and anime.
It's nebulous, but there is something of a difference even by Toriyama-san's admission. Herms explains it in this old thread: viewtopic.php?t=14734. Funi probably just picked up on that and ran with it. It's not an entirely separate type of "energy" but it is a specific component of ki.

That said, I think I did mix Funi's concept of Genki in with this one in the original statement I made. I grew up with the dub so its difficult to let go of some concepts.
That's what I was meaning. If you use ki, then because genki is a component of ki, you are using genki as well. You are automatically using that "life energy" when you're using ki