Saiyan Biology Theory - Saiyan Height

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MajinPopo

Saiyan Biology Theory - Saiyan Height

Post by MajinPopo » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:27 am

So we know that the heights of various characters have shifted and been inconsistent over the years, but it seems that a lot of Saiyans err on the short side. For instance, Goten and Trunks' wacky heights in Super, compared to their portrayal in the Buu Saga.

We also see inconsistencies with how Goku's height is generally portrayed as a baby/toddler, and how he appears in the Toriyama Bardock material. Vegeta's also pretty short.

I postulate that when Saiyans are in their youth and adolescence, their bodies grow shorter and more compact in a defensive manner to compensate for the lack of the training required for each individual Saiyan.

Thus, when Goku was on Planet Vegeta, he was probably full of pod nutrients thus rendering him sizable enough for the Saiyan Armor before Bardock and Gine sent him on his way. On Earth, upon hitting his head and not necessarily receiving the kind of training a biological Saiyan craves, he became stocky chibi Dr Slump Goku. As his training increased, he grew into himself and resembled his father.

You could argue that the same is true for Goten and Trunks. In Peace Time, they've literally shrunk down to almost DB Goku proportions, whereas when they were triggering early Super Saiyan stuff it probably gave them essentially a steroid boost.

That would also indeed indicate that Vegeta's short stature is a visual indicator of his nature as the "chaser".

It's not the best theory, but it's nice to be able to headcanon away DBS Goten and Trunks. Thoughts?

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Saiyan Biology Theory - Saiyan Height

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:08 am

Hmm...I like the creativity here, but any explanation as to why Gohan grew more normally during the 7 years of peace after killing Cell?
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

MajinPopo

Post by MajinPopo » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:30 am

Perhaps a genetic quirk. Goten and Trunks were conceived after their fathers had achieved Super Saiyan. Gohan was not. Maybe his growth rate is more similar to a human's, whereas Goten and Trunks may lean to the Saiyan side due to the S-Cells?

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:02 pm

MajinPopo wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:30 am Perhaps a genetic quirk. Goten and Trunks were conceived after their fathers had achieved Super Saiyan. Gohan was not. Maybe his growth rate is more similar to a human's, whereas Goten and Trunks may lean to the Saiyan side due to the S-Cells?
I'll take it. :)
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.