Opinion of Lunch

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Opinion of Lunch

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:38 am

I think it would be a pretty hilarious role reversal if Lunch came back and was either in the military or law enforcement. EDIT: I could see her being a cop with Krillin being entertaining.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:47 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:38 am I think it would be a pretty hilarious role reversal if Lunch came back and was either in the military or law enforcement.
Yeesh, imagine how the blue Lunch would feel.

Speaking of, I wonder what would happen if the two Lunches had a way to communicate to each other. They do seem to be aware of one another
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:50 am

BeaBumby wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:47 am
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:38 am I think it would be a pretty hilarious role reversal if Lunch came back and was either in the military or law enforcement.
Yeesh, imagine how the blue Lunch would feel.

Speaking of, I wonder what would happen if the two Lunches had a way to communicate to each other. They do seem to be aware of one another
I wouldn't mind if the blue Lunch was made just a tad less naive if she were ever brought back. I understand that was part of the humor, though.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:02 am

Hey did Lunch get a new VA in Kakarot? I've been watching some cutscenes and for whatever reason the blue Lunch always sounds kinda nervous. Though I kinda understand why she would be, considering the fact in her point of view she just blacks out for a solid hour.
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:35 am

Haven't played or looked at scenes from Kakarot, but since Meredith McCoy doesn't do as much voice work like way back, could see her being done by someone else. Lunch does have her fans as I've seen quite a few ladies cosplaying her over the past decade.

Preeve

Post by Preeve » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:26 am

BeaBumby wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:02 am Hey did Lunch get a new VA in Kakarot? I've been watching some cutscenes and for whatever reason the blue Lunch always sounds kinda nervous. Though I kinda understand why she would be, considering the fact in her point of view she just blacks out for a solid hour.
Apparently, it’s still Meredith McCoy. Maybe she’s just
a little rusty with the voice considering Launch doesn’t really show up anymore.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:31 am

OKAY YKNOW WHAT I REJECT THE EXPLANATION MR. TORIYAMA JUST FORGOT ABOUT HER

With Super Saiyan 2, I can understand that, he said that like 20 years later when he had moved on to many other series.
But HOW did he forget a very prevalent and well-liked character entirely in the span of just a few months? She was in the main group! She was in all the promotional art back then! There has to be some other reason!
she/her yknow

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:22 am

I love Lunch, it's a great mealtime.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:24 am

all in all, yeah I like em.

wish they'd stop using outdated terminology though.
she/her yknow

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:43 am

BeaBumby wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:24 am wish they'd stop using outdated terminology though.
what outdated terminology?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:20 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:43 am
BeaBumby wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:24 am wish they'd stop using outdated terminology though.
what outdated terminology?
yknow the whole "multiple personality" stuff
she/her yknow

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:43 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:43 am
MyVisionity wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:21 am For more on this subject, including some reasoning for why Toriyama may never have actually forgotten about Lunch, see the Rumor Guide section on Characters from the Kanzenshuu website:

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/rumor/characters/
Very interesting article, thanks for sharing. I just read the whole thing. What it sounds like to me is that Toriyama didn't literally "forget" Lunch, nor did he intentionally write her out of the story. It sounds like he didn't have much of anything for her to do, so he came up with a reason why she wasn't present (chasing after Tenshinhan). And has his story progressed (especially with Tien having a more dimiished role as the series went on/us not seeing any whereabouts of Tien's personal life), Lunch was kind of naturally but unintentionally phased out.

I did enjoy her filler in the Saiyan saga (easily the saga of Z with the best filler), and I love that the anime included her during the Genki Dama. I wonder if 17 saying "...Hmph…It’s been a long time since I’ve heard his voice too…” can be explained by him hearing Goku from when Cell had him absorbed...which is honestly pretty disturbing. Obviously that's just headcanon to explain the unchanged dialogue that was originally meant for Lunch.
It's not even headcanon, 17 explicitly says they could hear everything from inside Cell. Toyo closed the assumed plot hole years later.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:45 pm

TobyS wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:43 pm
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:43 am
MyVisionity wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:21 am For more on this subject, including some reasoning for why Toriyama may never have actually forgotten about Lunch, see the Rumor Guide section on Characters from the Kanzenshuu website:

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/rumor/characters/
Very interesting article, thanks for sharing. I just read the whole thing. What it sounds like to me is that Toriyama didn't literally "forget" Lunch, nor did he intentionally write her out of the story. It sounds like he didn't have much of anything for her to do, so he came up with a reason why she wasn't present (chasing after Tenshinhan). And has his story progressed (especially with Tien having a more dimiished role as the series went on/us not seeing any whereabouts of Tien's personal life), Lunch was kind of naturally but unintentionally phased out.

I did enjoy her filler in the Saiyan saga (easily the saga of Z with the best filler), and I love that the anime included her during the Genki Dama. I wonder if 17 saying "...Hmph…It’s been a long time since I’ve heard his voice too…” can be explained by him hearing Goku from when Cell had him absorbed...which is honestly pretty disturbing. Obviously that's just headcanon to explain the unchanged dialogue that was originally meant for Lunch.
It's not even headcanon, 17 explicitly says they could hear everything from inside Cell. Toyo closed the assumed plot hole years later.
I'm not caught up on the Super manga, but if that's something Toyo wrote it, it still would've been headcanon prior to the Super manga. But cool to know, either way.