Does Videl have better ki control than OGDB fighterss?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Does Videl have better ki control than OGDB fighterss?

Post by Anonymous Friend » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:08 pm

Roshi, Tao, Shen, and Chi-Chi. Skilled fighters. All can easily make it to the main stage of the TB tourneys. Three of them trained those who would go on to become World Champions ... and also learn to fly.

Video got most of her basic training for her father would go on to learn to fly with a few hours of training from Gohan. Shouldn't these four be capable of the same?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Does Videl have better ki control than OGDB fighterss?

Post by BWri » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:37 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:08 pm Roshi, Tao, Shen, and Chi-Chi. Skilled fighters. All can easily make it to the main stage of the TB tourneys. Three of them trained those who would go on to become World Champions ... and also learn to fly.

Video got most of her basic training for her father would go on to learn to fly with a few hours of training from Gohan. Shouldn't these four be capable of the same?
Could be, due to how quickly she learned but I'm pretty sure she's just spec'd out her skill tree in flight. She hasn't shown any skill with ki blasts, for instance which 3 of those you listed are proficient in.

Roshi doesn't learn flight because he's ornery and doesn't want to use Shen's techniques. Chi-chi likely never tried to learn it. Why Tao, Shen's brother, doesn't know bukujutsu is a mystery to me. I guess it's something Shen developed later on, when Tao was already established, but its likely the out-of-universe reason that Toriyama-san did not think too deeply about their history to establish this.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Does Videl have better ki control than OGDB fighterss?

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:19 pm

No. I think Videl learning to fly was just a way of showing her bonding with Gohan, plus a way for her to keep up (albeit briefly) with the Z warriors when they were heading to Babidi's ship. I doubt Toriyama gave much thought to it by that point, as it had become very common for characters to fly. Roshi/Jackie Chun couldn't fly during the 22nd Budokai, yet somehow I doubt Chaozu possessed greater ki control than him.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.