Opinion of Monna from Universe 4 and other fighters in the Universes without Saiyans

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Opinion of Monna from Universe 4 and other fighters in the Universes without Saiyans

Post by Hulk10 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:19 pm

Monna really gets under my skin. She was really stupid when she underestimated Cabba and the other Saiyans.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Opinion of Monna from Universe 4 and other fighters in the Universes without Saiyans

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:23 pm

Ribrianne is so cool and gay. I'm glad that she got to be gay and annoying and beat up the U7 fighters a bunch.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Re: Opinion of Monna from Universe 4 and other fighters in the Universes without Saiyans

Post by ZodiacBeast » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:46 pm

Universes 6, 7, 9 and 11 were good.

I like Ribrianne, Kakunsa and Roasie, but I wish their appearance didn't change when they transformed.

Maji-Kayo, Katopesla, Ganos and Obuni were also cool.

Other than that, from what I can remember most fighters were kinda "meh".

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:09 am

The Universe 2 fighters Ribrianne, Kakunsa and Roazie were interesting. But Ribrianne's appearance was a bit over the top. I felt that the Saiyan women of Universe 6 were sexy and the other warriors of Universe 6 were cool. So were the warriors of Universe 11.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:27 am

The only new non-saiyan character from that arc i liked was Ribrianne and Toppo just a bit (mostly in manga). I honestly had to check who Monna is, as all these fighters were so generic and forgettable to me i don't even remember most of them, let alone their names. But unlike most fans i actually liked Ribrianne.
ZodiacBeast wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:46 pm I like Ribrianne, Kakunsa and Roasie, but I wish their appearance didn't change when they transformed.
They don't even have "base" forms in manga. I'm not sure which version is more accurate to original script, but their base forms in anime seemed like a filler to me. Anyway, i refuse to acknowledge existence of most of things from DBS anime, especially when it comes to ToP and Zamasu arcs, so for me Ribrianne and other girls had only one form, the ones we saw in manga. And except for maybe Ribrianne i think their "transformed" forms looked better than "base" forms tbh.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:08 pm

Outside of Jiren's gang. the only TOP character that I was really interested in at all was Rosie:

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:58 pm

Jiren was awesome. But I really liked those Universe 6 Saiyans.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:00 am

Monna is one of my favorite anime characters of all times. I adored her rolling ball technique, and the way she trash talked Ca**a and V**eta. She should've won the ToP and become the new main character of the franchise. Fuck Goku.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:08 am

DestructoDisc wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:00 am Monna is one of my favorite anime characters of all times. I adored her rolling ball technique, and the way she trash talked Ca**a and V**eta. She should've won the ToP and become the new main character of the franchise. Fuck Goku.
Why do you follow Dragon Ball anyways?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:40 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:08 pm Outside of Jiren's gang. the only TOP character that I was really interested in at all was Rosie:

The anime gave her a pretty cool Kung-fu fighting style and techniques. She stood out as one of my faves too. The anime actually got me invested in many of the other universe fighters. I couldn't hope to list them all but the Kamikaze Fireballs stood out along with fighters like Obuni, Pirina, Saonel, Katopesra, Trio De Danger, Pride Troopers, Ganos, Decorbia (i think that's her name), Caway, Majora, Shosa, and many many others. I wouldn't mind seeing any of them again.

Monna herself was underwhelming, but she was far stronger than I could have ever predicted. Story wise, I'm curious as to why she's as strong as she is, like what in her universe caused her to need more strength than Cell and Majin Buu. The real answer is she's as strong as the plots needs her to be but an in-universe answer could be interesting. I do wish there was more to her power, such as rubber powers (Luffy) but she's okay, I guess.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:00 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:27 am I'm not sure which version is more accurate to original script
from what we have been told in interviews and such, Toriyama's script didn't cover much if any on the secondary characters: for Ribrianne, he made her fat form but, to our knowledge, didn't give any detail to her backstory, thuse and the anime staff decided to go full Reverse Tropes Magical Girl with her

Given we KNOW Toriyama puts the kibosh on what the anime staff does whenever they stray on something he gives any fuck, like Jiren's chatacter, it's reasonable to believe any character having sensibly different characterization between anime and manga was a "blank state" and thus developed (relatively)independently by anime staff and Toyotaro and thus of the same "canonical" value.

Of course, LIKING them is a whole different issue.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:02 am

I like the one that looks like a cat. I hate the rest on that team.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:36 pm

My main peeve with Ribrianne was how over the place she was. I get it that her power was tied to her confidence or something, but it was really weird. Like, Kakunsa and Rosie could legitimately give a good fight to 17 and 18 (which alone should mean they could hold her own against the God forms of Goku and Vegeta), but Ribrianne fluctuated between trading blows evenly with SS Vegeta to only keep Base Goku in his toes while in her strongest state (at the time) and lose hardly to 18 while . And she was supposedly stronger than both Kakunsa and Rosie.

Because otherwise I quite enjoyed the Kamikaze Fireballs. I thought the ToP was the perfect opportunity to introduce more "god tier" characters, and there were plenty who could fill those shoes. Such a shame to know that the best fighters in the multiverse are mostly fodders.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:26 pm

The Tournament of Power certainly did give us a lot of variety.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:54 pm

I struggle to remember anyone who isn't from U2, 6, 7 and 11, and even then, from U2 I only remember Ribrianne 'cause she was annoying, even then she wasn't half as bad as having Zenos interrupt a match every minute for a completely useless commentary.

The other characters just weren't remarkable, did we really need 80 characters? Seriously, at most ToP should've used 6 universes...
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:00 am

Thani wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:36 pm Like, Kakunsa and Rosie could legitimately give a good fight to 17 and 18 (which alone should mean they could hold her own against the God forms of Goku and Vegeta), but Ribrianne fluctuated between trading blows evenly with SS Vegeta to only keep Base Goku in his toes while in her strongest state (at the time) and lose hardly to 18 while . And she was supposedly stronger than both Kakunsa and Rosie.
Rozie was weaker than Base Goku during their fight though. 17 was obviously holding back severely against Kakunsa. It means that they weren't really that strong and should only be comparable to Base Goku.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:15 am

She had a really cool/cute design imo

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:37 pm

Really most of the ToP warriors have not stood the test of time. U6 Saiyan girls were clear highlights but ignoring Saiyans.

Trio De Dangers I personally loved. But unfortunately they had a far better showing in the Zen Exhibition than ToP. I think I would've liked it better if there was payoff to Goku and Gohan image training Krillin fighting Basil. Though I liked their desparation and triangle beam last resort.

I would defo have liked to see them feature in a game as a 3-in-1 (Think a Ginyu force esque character in FighterZ)

Did like the blind wolf Krillin fought, just for some K-man action.

U11 Pride troopers were really lacklustre where most got wiped so early on - wouldn't have minded if they didn't kinda hype up Kasheral as one of the more elite members - Could've had a cool Tien vs Cyborg Tao homage.

Ganos was kinda cool, but less so in him being cool, more a platform for Roshi to be cool.

Frost had some of the best early ToP vs Roshi and Vegeta.

Ribrianne is someone I'm mixed on, I like the design the transformation banter - like Goku getting pissed at 17 attacking mid transformation. But ultimately the strength displayed was kinda lacking, and she probably had a bit too much screen time for how little she accomplished. Did enjoy her fight v 18 though.

Anime Anilaza was quite cool to see, and sorta gave some hints of the importance of 17 by giving him the finishing shot on him. was cool to see the hype group teamup to fight, cool fighting from him (even if Janemba did it first), 18's sacrifice was nice enough.

Monna I do think I enjoyed when I watched the ep, but again I think it was more from a standpoint of liking Cabba and wanting to see him get some love and not just the Saiyan girls, so do think she could've really been replaced by anyone. But nice enough for what she had.

The Ribrianne replacement crew, were enjoyable enough in their episode, the simultaneous Goku and Gohan Kamehameha's were nice and probably made them have a bit more of some lasting impact through a cool moment.

Katopesla was maybe a bit enjoyable in a few of his appearances.

But ye most don't stand out at all.