The Unseen Timeline

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

The Unseen Timeline

Post by Yuji » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:04 pm

I was wondering about the events of the unseen time-line. We know the Dragon Team was able to fend off the artificial humans somehow, but we must assume Cell would still be born 20 years later, and Babidi would arrive 7 years afterward.

More importantly, outside of being mentioned in one guidebook, it's strange this time-line is never acknowledged. I think the production crew forgot it entirely for Super, too.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: The Unseen Timeline

Post by Grimlock » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:55 pm

Majin Buu saga doesn't require Cell saga in order for it to happen.

I think they defeated the androids in AGE 767. Proceeded to Majin Buu saga in AGE 774. Experienced (or not) the Dragon Ball Super events and eventually Cell will show up in AGE 788 for them, as expected.

Because Cell will take his time to show up, I think at some point this timeline merged with the present one before that happens, so it's possible that Cell simply vanished from history. As everything happening in there was pretty much the same what was happening in the present timeline.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:05 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:55 pm Majin Buu saga doesn't require Cell saga in order for it to happen.

I think they defeated the androids in AGE 767. Proceeded to Majin Buu saga in AGE 774. Experienced (or not) the Dragon Ball Super events and eventually Cell will show up in AGE 788 for them, as expected.

Because Cell will take his time to show up, I think at some point this timeline merged with the present one before that happens, so it's possible that Cell simply vanished from history. As everything happening in there was pretty much the same what was happening in the present timeline.
Not exactly. Since Cell managed to kill Trunks, the events that lead to the ROSAT training never happened in this time-line. Everyone is significantly weaker and would likely get wiped out by Boo or at least have a much harder time against all threats. Goku would also never need to sacrifice himself since the Cell Games never happened.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:06 pm

Thing is, I don't think that's how the timeline system is actually set up, at least not anymore. After the Zamasu arc, the impression I get is that instead of there being a bunch of timelines, the timelines get directly overwritten, even if that doesn't make any sense. So there are only two timelines related to the time machine Bulma built, and those are the main timeline and Trunks' timeline. The other timelines that should logically be there just... aren't. So Cell's timeline IS Trunks' timeline, it's just that it was overwritten. And the unseen timeline IS the main timeline, just overwritten. Even though it makes no sense, I believe that's how the writers are treating it. So in a way, the answer to what happened in the unseen timeline is... well, nothing, as it became the main timeline and no longer exists.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:24 pm

Alruneia wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:06 pm Thing is, I don't think that's how the timeline system is actually set up, at least not anymore. After the Zamasu arc, the impression I get is that instead of there being a bunch of timelines, the timelines get directly overwritten, even if that doesn't make any sense. So there are only two timelines related to the time machine Bulma built, and those are the main timeline and Trunks' timeline. The other timelines that should logically be there just... aren't. So Cell's timeline IS Trunks' timeline, it's just that it was overwritten. And the unseen timeline IS the main timeline, just overwritten. Even though it makes no sense, I believe that's how the writers are treating it. So in a way, the answer to what happened in the unseen timeline is... well, nothing, as it became the main timeline and no longer exists.
I strongly agree with this, but I would like to bridge it with something else, because there is a logical error in the usual depiction.

When Trunks departed to the future without knowing anything about Cell, he was strong enough to defeat the androids without checking the lab for the remote blueprints, so he must have trained in the present with a different goal in mind, because otherwise he would have known about Cell and the lab, but worked harder to overcome a higher challenge instead of leaving it to his friends.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:57 am

Yeah I was just thinking this, the 17 blueprints were in the cell basement so I don't see how he's getting one without the other. But I don't see how he got strong enough to kill the androids and not Cell.

I guess Cell could have got to his max first form power like when he owned a Piccolo that could take 17 and the future androids were weaker, but if it wasn't the ROSAT where did he train? How did he gey half strong.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:07 pm

I guess I am completely out of touch, but what is the unseen timeline?
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:20 pm

Yuji wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:05 pmNot exactly. Since Cell managed to kill Trunks, the events that lead to the ROSAT training never happened in this time-line. Everyone is significantly weaker and would likely get wiped out by Boo or at least have a much harder time against all threats. Goku would also never need to sacrifice himself since the Cell Games never happened.
I went to check the scene and apparently Trunks didn't necessarily got entirely caught by surprise. He tried to attack but still died. However, what we see doesn't necessarily mean that's the way it actually played out. Also because it's a filler scene so chances are that's not how stuff happened.

I think Trunks got killed by a suprise attack. And we know that's a thing in Dragon Ball, no matter how strong you are, you can still be killed if you let your guard down.

Goku has the idea to train in the chamber as soon as he got recovered. So I think it's possible that they still trained in there, though the circumstances around it would be different.
MCDaveG wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:07 pmI guess I am completely out of touch, but what is the unseen timeline?
It's the present timeline which original Trunks (the one killed by Cell) went to.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:39 pm

TobyS wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:57 am Yeah I was just thinking this, the 17 blueprints were in the cell basement so I don't see how he's getting one without the other. But I don't see how he got strong enough to kill the androids and not Cell.

I guess Cell could have got to his max first form power like when he owned a Piccolo that could take 17 and the future androids were weaker, but if it wasn't the ROSAT where did he train? How did he gey half strong.
They could have trained and targeted the androids or fought them hard without Cell's interference. Perhaps this is when movie 7 happens.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:38 pm

Cell is a total non-issue as long as he doesn't bring back 17 and 18 with the Dragon Balls. But if this cast managed to defeat Dabura and stop Babidi, they should be strong enough to beat a Perfect Cell powered by weaker Androids.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:53 pm

Assuming Android 17 and Android 18 survived their battle against the cast, they themselves would take care of Cell. As the latter would go after them, but the siblings are stronger (especially if Dragon Ball Super happened in this timeline). If they aren't caught by surprise, that is.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:15 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:53 pm Assuming Android 17 and Android 18 survived their battle against the cast, they themselves would take care of Cell. As the latter would go after them, but the siblings are stronger (especially if Dragon Ball Super happened in this timeline). If they aren't caught by surprise, that is.
They don't get stronger if they don't train and 17 wouldn't have had the character growth to range the park and discover the Cell Jr's (who wouldn't exist) They'd run around being hedonists and cell could beat them unless they ran into him too early by sheer fluke.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:09 pm

Peach wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:38 pm Cell is a total non-issue as long as he doesn't bring back 17 and 18 with the Dragon Balls. But if this cast managed to defeat Dabura and stop Babidi, they should be strong enough to beat a Perfect Cell powered by weaker Androids.
Well Piccolo kills the Cell gathering robot when Future Cell points it out to Piccolo, it might get some better samples, like Kamiccolo and maybe even Buu and Dabra himself if it's not too late to add them.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:13 am

TobyS wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:15 pmThey don't get stronger if they don't train and 17 wouldn't have had the character growth to range the park and discover the Cell Jr's (who wouldn't exist) They'd run around being hedonists and cell could beat them unless they ran into him too early by sheer fluke.
Yeah, but it's up in the air if they train(ed) or not. If the "plot" requires it...

~ War of the Dinobots ~

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:21 am

If things were to play out similar to the main timeline, Cell would die when Kid Buu blew up the planet. But I doubt things would get to that point. With Goku alive the whole time, Vegeta probably wouldn't go Majin as his fight with Goku could wait, and Buu might not be revived to begin with.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:42 pm

It just hit me, if Trunks did find the lab to get 17s blueprints wouldn't he find larval cell? I guess he could have killed it without knowing why he was and still been jumped by adult Cell I guess...

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:16 pm

So the unseen timeline is actually Cell's timeline? Interesting, I thought the unseen timeline was the timeline that "original" Trunks came from.

I guess there are two unseen timelines then, at least in my point of view.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:18 am

The unseen timeline is History 4 according to this:

When you join Toyotaro's depiction of time travel:

You get something that is simpler (although it was only made by me):