What is your ideal alternative roster of the ToP saga?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NickLord
Banned Alternate Account

What is your ideal alternative roster of the ToP saga?

Post by NickLord » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:27 pm

If it were up to me, I would replace Krillin & Tien with Future Trunks & Buu.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What is your ideal alternative roster of the ToP saga?

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:44 pm

I was thinking about this a while ago too. I think the humans can sit out of this one, specially Roshi. Replacing them with Majin Boo, Gotenks and Future Trunks (assuming I can go back and change the Black Saga to make him stay in the past) is a good call.

This isn't exactly changing the roster, but I'd also like to have an explanation about 17's power. The way it is makes as sense as 17's power in GT. Even if to just say he's been training on his own.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:48 am

Having Yamcha and Chiaotzu on the team would have been cool.

I would have just loved the feeling of seeing the old crew working together again. Just like the saiyan saga.

The Spirit Ball seems like an awesome move for a battle royale. Good for a surprise elimination and assisting team mates with distractions. Plus the Wolf Fang Fist against the Wolves? Would have been fucking great.

I can imagine Yamcha and Chiaotzu assisting Master Roshi, Krillin, and Tien could have kept them in much longer. Maybe they work together to beat Toppo and Dyspo. Maybe a few of them survive until it's just Jiren. I can imagine Roshi, Krillin, and Yamcha fighting Frost, Magetta, and Botamo. I can see them fighting the Pride Troopers and members of the Magical Girl team too.

But yeah. Replace Frieza and 18 with Yamcha and Chiaotzu. Throw Future Trunks in there and it's honestly the perfect roster.

Pikkon working with the Z Fighters is interesting to think about too.

BWri

Post by BWri » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:58 am

I'm okay with the roster. Roshi was an odd edition. I wish we got more story buildup for that choice, maybe even a Roshi wished to his youth or given some kind of youth pills (maybe the same ones that Bulma and her family use :think: )

Tien's the dead weight. I was excited by his addition to the team, but boy oh boy was he a "no count". Instead of him, I'd like Future Trunks, Cell, Dabura, Buu, or Captain Ginyu.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:03 am

I would also definitely replace Tenshinhan, but only him. As said, he's the biggest dead-weight of the team, with no significant role to play in the story, as great as he is. Roshi and Kuririn both had thematic purposes for joining the tournament which I dig too much, particularly in the manga. Roshi was integral to Goku reaching Ultra Instinct and had the most experience in martial arts tournaments. Kuririn may not have accomplished much in the battle itself, but his presence was a huge contributing factor to Android #17's decision to join, making Kuririn partly responsible for setting into motion the chain of events leading to #17 saving the multiverse. As for Tien, it feels like he was only included on the team because he was also there in Resurrection 'F', which similarly gave him nothing interesting to do. Being a dedicated martial artist, there's no easy way to justify his exclusion, but... just say he's got the flu or something, handwave it.

I would replace Tien with Future Trunks. Have Trunks stay in the main timeline after Future Zeno's tantrum, then he has a motivation to fight in the Tournament of Power to save his original timeline. This would also create some more connective tissue between the two arcs. Think of the possibilities! How would Trunks cope with ironically being forced to cooperate with the Androids of our timeline? Or Freeza for that matter, who he was responsible for killing? Erasing trillions of innocent mortals to save his own timeline, is it so different to what Zamasu did? I'm no prolific fanfic writer, but imagining these scenarios really does butter my eggroll.

I'm okay with no Buu, I only wish that they didn't justify his exclusion with the exact same lame gag as in the Universe 6 arc. AFAIK, the manga makes a bit of an oversight by not justifying it at all, though it was probably for the best as they don't waste any time in building him up pointlessly like the anime did. Plus, you can easily infer that after the Universe 6 tournament, it was simply a case of nobody having faith in him to perform well, just like Gotenks.

xm0c

Post by xm0c » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:52 am

There was fanart before the ToP started of an expanded Universe 7 roster. I remember Yamcha, Chiaotzu, Gotenks, and Jaco were all there, and I'm sure at least one other person. But 15 people on 1 team would have been a bit much for one saga.

As for replacement, I would drop Tenshinhan or Kame-Sen'nin for Arale.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:47 am

I think pretty much everyone had their own arc and/or cool thing to do besides Tenshinhan who just felt like a fish out of water and the odd man out. If they wouldn't bother doing something with him, then Boo would have been a better addition in-universe due to his power and for the reader due to the interesting choreography his fights have.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:01 pm

Mostly the same, but I'd keep Majin Boo on the team, because Super's gag of him not getting to fight in tournaments wasn't even funny the first time. Then I'd have both Muten Roshi and Yamcha decline to join because they (rightly) figure they won't be much help, thus still leaving an open slot for Freeza to join.

Most of Muten Roshi's dramatic ToP moments (minus the ridiculous "teaching Goku UI and fighting Geran" bits from the manga) would be reworked for Tenshinhan instead, who's now the new weakest member of the team and has the Kikoho as a workable substitute for the Max Power Kamehameha.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:56 pm

Replacing Tenshinhan and the Muten Roushi with Videl and Chi-Chi! Those character interactions would have been so much cooler!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:58 pm

Didn't Tenshinhan lose because the arena broke down under him? like, with his Shin Kiko Ho he could've just destroyed parts of the arena, getting rid of fodder fighters.

He might've not been able to defeat people but he sure can defeat the floor, that's his thing actually.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:49 pm

^^^
I think Tien just should have been given better writing. He's a great martial artist. They could have had him fight that fat fuck from universe 10 for a whole episode. Or had him assist Roshi during his episodes.

xm0c wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:52 amBut 15 people on 1 team would have been a bit much for one saga.
If we had 5 more slots, I would choose:
11. Yamcha
12. Chiaotzu
13. Future Trunks
14. Pikkon
15. Dende or Gottenks

The demon that killed Jiren's master would be good drama on Jiren's team.

They could have had the Sadala Saiyan Commander that Cabba knew too, if Vados healed him.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:01 am

I would replace Dr. Rota with Yamcha. It follows up on a few things - Champa's desire for his own Earth, him copying Beerus's team and recruitment strategy, and the baseball episode. Just have him buyout Yamcha's contract and sign him to his team.

Other than that I think it would be cool if a fighter from planet Barbari was on U10's team. Replace anyone but Obuni...just a fun callback.
Peach wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:49 pm ^^^
I think Tien just should have been given better writing. He's a great martial artist. They could have had him fight that fat fuck from universe 10 for a whole episode. Or had him assist Roshi during his episodes.
Yeah, it just comes down to people not liking the writing or animating for those episodes. The actual story for him is as plain as the other side characters. He has consistent homeruns and a dedicated episode where he knocks out a threat to U7.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:17 pm

Bumping the roster to 15 means

1. Buu
2. Gotenks
3. Yamcha
4. Chaozu
5. F. Trunks

Would have been a complete Z warriors reunion for a 1 off.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:03 am

Makaioshin wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:01 am I would replace Dr. Rota with Yamcha. It follows up on a few things - Champa's desire for his own Earth, him copying Beerus's team and recruitment strategy, and the baseball episode. Just have him buyout Yamcha's contract and sign him to his team.

Other than that I think it would be cool if a fighter from planet Barbari was on U10's team. Replace anyone but Obuni...just a fun callback.
Peach wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:49 pm ^^^
Yeah, it just comes down to people not liking the writing or animating for those episodes. The actual story for him is as plain as the other side characters. He has consistent homeruns and a dedicated episode where he knocks out a threat to U7.
I think Tien, Krillin, and Piccolo should have each been given 2-4 episodes where they're fighting like hell and with a lot of heart, like Roshi and 17 did.

It sucks how the three of them were treated in that tournament. I really don't see why Tien had to eliminate himself either when he could just have the clones ring out the guy.

They never had any good fights, or showed off any interesting martial arts. They could have had Tien use his third eye to copy moves and had him use his extra arms to get advantage over clutch fighters.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:43 am

Literally just Yamcha instead of Roshi.

Maybe Yamcha or even a Tencha/Yamhan reminds Goku to use skill instead of power. Yamcha could remember Roshis teachings enough to impart the lesson.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:40 pm

TobyS wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:43 am Literally just Yamcha instead of Roshi.

Maybe Yamcha or even a Tencha/Yamhan reminds Goku to use skill instead of power. Yamcha could remember Roshis teachings enough to impart the lesson.
Oh yeah
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:37 pm

I would just do 3 changes to the ToP:

- Replace Tenshinhan for Boo. Yes, I know Boo is broken for the tournament but that could be easily fixed by having Jiren take him out early in the ToP. He already did that to someone similar to Boo: Maji-Kayo. Speaking of him, a battle between him and Boo would be very interesting.

- Gowasu in his desperation travels to the future and brings back Goku Black and convinces him to enter the ToP. He remains cloaked by most of it until he faces of against...

- Future Trunks. He replaces Roshi. Have Shin travel to his new future and inform him of the tournament. He comes back and faces Goku Black at the latter part of the ToP.

Who knows. Maybe all of this can still happen if there is ever another ToP.

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:05 am

Use the time rings to get 10 of the universe's savior. The undefeated Mr. Satan.

Honestly though? I'm happy with who we got. Besides maybe Tenshinhan. He was pretty useless. Could've been replaced with Monaka as a gag and he could've stood still the entire Tournament and been the last one standing. Easy joke, works well, doesn't make Tien a jobber.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:18 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:17 pm Bumping the roster to 15 means

1. Buu
2. Gotenks
3. Yamcha
4. Chaozu
5. F. Trunks

What about Pikkon?

You people don't act like you care about Pikkon

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:32 am

Peach wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:18 am
miguelnuva1 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:17 pm Bumping the roster to 15 means

1. Buu
2. Gotenks
3. Yamcha
4. Chaozu
5. F. Trunks

What about Pikkon?

You people don't act like you care about Pikkon
Pikkon is Goku's friend that never fought with the other Z warriors.