Why didn't Babidi take over Frieza?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Why didn't Babidi take over Frieza?

Post by Peach » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:28 pm

He was collecting energy out there for God knows how long. Why do you think he didn't he take over Frieza, King Cold, and the Frieza Force?

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Why didn't Babidi take over Frieza?

Post by Lionel » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:45 pm

They may not have encountered each other. The universe is a vast place. It's possible Babidi may have been preoccupied with other areas, potentially even dimensions since he did ensnare Dabura who is the monarch of the Makai.

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:00 pm

Considering that Babidi was enemies of the Kaioshin, and that the Kaioshin are linked to Beerus, and that Frieza was linked to Beerus as well, he may have felt compelled to avoid Frieza until he already had Buu.

It was stated by Frieza that he knew of Buu already and may have had some sort of standing orders from Beerus. He may have actively avoided Babidi using his vast resources to keep him at arms length.

I can see why both parties would mostly avoid each other.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:55 pm

Well, I think there are two possibilities, imo.

1) Babidi actually realized he couldn't control Freeza (the tyrant is indeed very determined, a very strong willpower) and didn't have anyone that could take him on, so he kept his distance.

2) When Babidi took control over Dabura (iirc it was after Freeza's death anyway), that already made Freeza as a pawn obsolete.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:29 am

Thani wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:55 pm Well, I think there are two possibilities, imo.

1) Babidi actually realized he couldn't control Freeza (the tyrant is indeed very determined, a very strong willpower) and didn't have anyone that could take him on, so he kept his distance.

2) When Babidi took control over Dabura (iirc it was after Freeza's death anyway), that already made Freeza as a pawn obsolete.
Regarding point 2 he had Dabra for a long time, Dabra mentions checking earth like 1-5000 years ago or something.

I wonder if Freeza is as strong minded as Vegeta, and if you need a certain level of power to resist as well as will power. Weird that Dabra is so weak willed.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:11 pm

TobyS wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:29 am
Thani wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:55 pm Well, I think there are two possibilities, imo.

Regarding point 2 he had Dabra for a long time, Dabra mentions checking earth like 1-5000 years ago or something.

I wonder if Freeza is as strong minded as Vegeta, and if you need a certain level of power to resist as well as will power. Weird that Dabra is so weak willed.
It's really unspecified for how long Babidi had Dabra under his thrall, but Shin was shocked and mortified when he saw him in the Buu arc, iirc. Since Babidi is Shin's archenemy of sorts, he would keep some tabs on the sorcerer, so I imagine he would be aware if someone like Dabura were to enslaved thousands of years ago.

He probably is as strong minded and stubborn, I'd wager. Like Vegeta, Freeza simply *refuses* to quit or give up, even when he should. I don't think power level is really required to resist, but that's headcanon.

About Dabra, yeah, it's really weird that U7's resident Satan could be enslaved by Babidi like that.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:05 pm

Because then Beerus would have noticed him and Hakai'd him, since he was keeping in close contact with Frieza (he approved and authorized the destruction of Planet Vegeta, after all).

Despite Frieza being evil, we should remember that he was the ruler of the strongest mortal organization of U7, so Beerus and Shin were most likely keeping in touch with him. It's just logical to want to keep tabs on the strongest mortal ruler/fighter in the Universe.

We also see from various scenes with the Supreme Kais (like the scenes with Shin and the Old Kai in DBZ, or Zamasu and Gowasu in DBS) that the Kais regularly use special orbs that allow them to observe and oversee all actions of mortals throughout the Universe. So Shin would have 100% noticed if the Frieza Force fell under Babidi's control.

So if Babidi took control of Frieza and his force, the Gods would have noticed and would have intervened accordingly. Assuming that they don't screw anything up, indeed we shouldn't underestimate the sheer incompetence of the cat and Shin.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:45 pm

What could they have achieved with Freeza, though?
Shin can oneshot him, so you can't use him for that purpose. And with the energy gotten from Freeza beating Dodorias and Zarbons, it would've taken eons to wake up Buu. And like SupremeKai said, it would've gotten the attention of Beerus, who was asleep but Babidi didn't know that.

What they needed the most, to gather energy for Buu, was strong people to beat up, that's why they came to Earth. The best course of action involving Freeza, would've been to attack him and use his energy. I guess Dabura was the only one that could do that, and he came on board after the Namek arc.
I also guess Dabura meant "we" as in Babidi's crew, not "we" as in "Babidi and myself", when he said that they checked out Earth 1,000 years ago.

About Vegeta resisting Babidi, I don't think it was power-related (although I doubt Powered up Saganbo, Golden Freeza or Black Rosé could be been controlled) in order to not downplay Dabura's will like he is not even at Star Wars Watto's level of mental strenght, I'm thinking Vegeta got free because he wasn't evil enough, despite what he was saying or wanting to be. At least, not as evil as Dabura.
Giving Babidi too little of a string to pull from Vegeta.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:13 pm

I like the idea that Babidi avoided Freeza because it would get too much attention. He seems to have focused on the darker corners of the universe or even the Demon Realm, since both Dabra and Yakon are demons.
Thani wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:11 pm It's really unspecified for how long Babidi had Dabra under his thrall, but Shin was shocked and mortified when he saw him in the Buu arc, iirc. Since Babidi is Shin's archenemy of sorts, he would keep some tabs on the sorcerer, so I imagine he would be aware if someone like Dabura were to enslaved thousands of years ago.

He probably is as strong minded and stubborn, I'd wager. Like Vegeta, Freeza simply *refuses* to quit or give up, even when he should. I don't think power level is really required to resist, but that's headcanon.

About Dabra, yeah, it's really weird that U7's resident Satan could be enslaved by Babidi like that.
Shin says he didn’t even know Babidi existed until recently when he’s explaining his backstory to the Z Fighters, though I’m not sure what “recently” means when we’re talking about a guy who’s millions of years old. Probably means less than a year ago though since he only decided to go to Earth now. Even in the future when he had time to prepare he arrived just in time to stop him.

I think it’s mentioned by Goku or Vegeta that it was Vegeta’s love for Trunks and Bulma that allowed him. I don’t think ego alone could help Freeza when it’s an evil feeling, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s too evil even for Babidi.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:43 am

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:45 pm What could they have achieved with Freeza, though?
Freeza, in his main business of buying, selling, and destroying planets, could have had documents and records of planets going back who knows how long. Records from when his father ran things even. Depending how far back things could go, Babidi could have found Earth and by extension Buu's egg, even faster.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:02 am

Lionel wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:45 pm They may not have encountered each other. The universe is a vast place. It's possible Babidi may have been preoccupied with other areas, potentially even dimensions since he did ensnare Dabura who is the monarch of the Makai.
In b4 the “only 28 planets with life” line gets brought up.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:06 am

Thani wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:11 pm About Dabra, yeah, it's really weird that U7's resident Satan could be enslaved by Babidi like that.
Is it though? I always feel as if maybe Dabra probably doesn’t need much of a will in hell, like, what is even supposed to do? And humans are weak minded anyway so it makes sense to me how he probably could be controlled by someone like Babidi.

DaFleks

Post by DaFleks » Sun May 08, 2022 1:47 am

Personally I would like to think either the universe is just that vast (Babidi and Dabura hadn't been on Earth for hundreds of years since their last visit) and Babidi just didn't know about Freeza, or there wasn't even a point as he already had Dabura who was implied to have been as strong as Cell.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Sun May 08, 2022 7:07 am

Babidi forgor :wtf:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:09 pm

He had Dabra, who was consider to be stronger than him. It's also possible that he didn't know who Freeza was.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/