Granolah and Sasuke

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Granolah and Sasuke

Post by Alkiser » Sat May 14, 2022 3:38 pm

These are characters from two different manga series, Dragon Ball and Naruto. Today I'm going to focus on the major and minor similarities that they share with each other, I won't summarize the whole story but I will try to cite the similarities that connect these two characters.

Sasuke is the only surviving member of the Uchiha clan who, by virtue of being a bloodline member of that clan, has access to a dojutsu called sharingan. Throughout the series, Sasuke has sought to avenge his clan by killing his brother Itachi, who had slaughtered his entire clan. During the course of the series, upon discovering the truth about Itachi's life, his desire for vengeance was redirected to the village hidden in the foliage where Sasuke had performed missions as a shinobi when he was a kid in the first series. At the end of the first series, Sasuke fled the village, to Orochimaru to gain enough power to kill his brother and avenge the Uchiha clan. After what happened to him, Sasuke spent the next 8 years or so of his life living only for revenge.

The Sharingan that Sasuke is known for, among other things, allows him to anticipate his opponent's movements, Furthermore, it greatly increases the perception of the user who possesses it. It sharpens vision, allowing one to see things impossible for the normal eye to see. Another ability of this dojutsu is the ability to copy both Taijutsu and Ninjutsu techniques, allowing the user to surprise the opponent with their own movements. These eyes also have the ability to see the flow of chakra. The last of the Sharingan's abilities is the ability to see through, as well as cast paralyzing Genjutsu techniques on the victim.

Granolah is the sole survivor of a Cereal race that was annihilated by a Saiyan army under Frizer's orders. Motivated by his desire for revenge, he seeks to gain more power to kill the tyrant and the saiyans. Many decades ago, Granolah lived on the planet Ceral with members of his race. One day, the home planet was attacked and conquered by the Frizer Army and the Saiyan Army. Taking advantage of the full moon, the Saiyans transformed into Great Apes and annihilated almost the entire population and cities. A young and frightened Granolah ran into an abandoned church where his mother was waiting for him to hide. Granolah survived the invasion, but the experience caused him to be haunted by nightmares that lasted into his adulthood. This resulted in Granolah having a desire for revenge against Frieza and the Saiyans. Throughout the story, Granolah uses dragon balls to become the strongest in the universe and avenge his race.

Granolah's race is characterized by a special right eye that is red in color, as a member of the ceralian race Granolah possesses a special right eye that provides him with enhanced vision and perception and thus advanced sniping skills. Granolah's skill in this area has been noted as surpassing all others of his species. After desiring to become the strongest warrior in the Universe, Granolah's perception became even greater. Granolah is able to observe blood flow, muscle movement, and even his opponent's vital points with his eye.

Although Granolah's eye shares traits with the sharingan, such as color and sharpened perception. It also shares characteristics with the byakugan that members of the Hyuga clan possess, as both dojutsu can see muscle movements and even vital points in the opponent's body.

Both had at one point lost their focus on their revenge, so much so that they lost all common sense and were willing to sacrifice everything for revenge. Sasuke lived in the village unaware that the Hokage, from whom he had received a mission, had been forced to execute his clan because of the Uchiha clan's frustration and rebellion. Granolah worked as a bounty hunter for a gang of Heeters who, during the Saiyan invasion, were instrumental in killing the flakkin's mother, but of course Granolah didn't know this because he was unconscious.

That's about as much as I've been able to figure out as far as similarities between the two.

Feel free to discuss

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Re: Granolah and Sasuke

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Sun May 15, 2022 8:32 am

I think Sasuke's been the common point of comparison for Granolah for a good long while, albeit Sasuke if he and his issues had to be introduced and resolved in a single, much narrower scope of an arc.

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Sun May 15, 2022 11:59 am

I think so too

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:33 am

Everything comes from something.

Before there was Naruto there was Hunter x Hunter. Gon, Killua, Kurapika, and Leorio going through an eccentric series of tests that culminates with a tournament. Sounds a lot like the Chunin exams, doesn't it? And for a long time Sasuke was a dollar store Kurapika.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:12 pm

Visually Granolah sort of reminds me of Yukishiro Enishi from Rurouni Kenshin with the hair who was also on a quest for vengeance though in the latter's case I think readers tend to consider him to be better written; at least from what I've seen of RK enthusiasts. These vengeance stories Dragon Ball has dabbled in are interesting but Toriyama or whoever is writing for them doesn't take things in a direction where we feel like the revenge has significant validity or nuance. For Baby it seemed to be mostly a pretext for him to subjugate the Earth, infect its people and become another petty tyrant. I can't think of an occasion where he didn't have some insane or sadistically gleeful look on his face.

Granolah isn't an easily corruptible soul who seemed to still exercise discretion for the people he met and life he lead following the tragedy in his early youth. The thing with his revenge is that its target is misplaced. Vegeta and Goku are targets of opportunity simply due to nature as members of the Saiyan species. Given everything we know and have seen of the pair, there isn't any nebulousness to it. Granolah's anger and distress is understandable but it doesn't reflect in any meaningful way with the two he's directing it towards. It probably doesn't help that Granolah seemed to be as concerned about his strength as though it were a superfluous contest as he was putting these two supposed 'murderers' down.