Question about hypothetical "tier-2" fusions

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Question about hypothetical "tier-2" fusions

Post by nineko » Tue May 17, 2022 7:18 pm

Here's something I've been wondering for a while, and I don't think I've ever seen addressed.

Do you think it would be possible for Gotenks to fuse with Gogeta, in a "tier-2" fusion of sorts? Let's consider a few scenarios.

1. Gotenks and Gogeta do the fusion dance. We probably need an adult Gotenks for this, so they can have a similar build. But then, what would the time limit be? 30 minutes from the "tier-1" fusion dances, I guess, or even less if they pull the "more power = less time" card. The name would be problematic. Gogotengeta? That sounds like something Inspector Gadget would say.

2. Gotenks and Gogeta use the potara earrings. We don't need an adult Gotenks this time, but the time limit would really be problematic because the potaras (even after the retcon) last longer than the fusion dance, so the "tier-1" fusions would be forced to stay fused for longer than they usually can, again unless they pull the "more power = less time" card.

3. How about the vice versa. We've never seen Goten and Trunks using the potaras, but nothing prevents them from doing so in theory. So we have adult potara-Gotenks (no official name) performing the fusion dance with Vegeth. Time wise, this would be the stablest combination, because the "tier-2" fusion lasts less than the "tier-1" ones.

4. The last scenario would be potaras for both tiers of fusions, with a time limit problem similar to the one of the first scenario. Is it even possible to stack multiple tiers of potara fusions? They could theoretically fuse dozens of people in this way, but the namekians in the ToP demonstrated that this isn't such a great strategy after all.

tl;dr: tier-2 fusions, would they work? For how long?

If this is stupid, or if this has been mentioned before, I apologise. I tried to search for this, and I found nothing.
Last edited by nineko on Sat May 21, 2022 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Question about hypothetical "tier-2" fusions

Post by Thani » Fri May 20, 2022 9:21 am

nineko wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:18 pm Here's something I've been wondering for a while, and I don't think I've ever seen addressed.

Do you think it would be possible for Gotenks to fuse with Gogeta, in a "tier-2" fusion of sorts? Let's consider a few scenarios.

1. Gotenks and Gogeta do the fusion dance. We probably need an adult Gotenks for this, so they can have a similar build. But then, what would the time limit be? 30 minutes from the "tier-1" fusion dances, I guess, or even less if they pull the "more power = less time" card. The name would be problematic. Gogotengeta? That sounds like something Inspector Gadget would say.

2. Gotenks and Gogeta use the potara earrings. We don't need an adult Gotenks this time, but the time limit would really be problematic because the potaras (even after the retcon) last longer than the fusion dance, so the "tier-1" fusions would be forced to stay fused for longer than they usually can, again unless they pull the "more power = less time" card.

3. How about the vice versa. We've never seen Goten and Trunks using the potaras, but nothing prevents them from doing so in theory. So we have adult potara-Gotenks (no official name) performing the fusion dance with Vegeth. Time wise, this would be the stablest combination, because the "tier-2" fusion lasts longer than the "tier-1" ones.

4. The last scenario would be potaras for both tiers of fusions, with a time limit problem similar to the one of the first scenario. Is it even possible to stack multiple tiers of potara fusions? They could theoretically fuse dozens of people in this way, but the namekians in the ToP demonstrated that this isn't such a great strategy after all.

tl;dr: tier-2 fusions, would they work? For how long?

If this is stupid, or if this has been mentioned before, I apologise. I tried to search for this, and I found nothing.
As far as I know, it was never ruled out that it can be done, so it's entirely up in the air. The fact that these characters are already fusions shouldn't stop the possibility of them fusing again. And again. And again. Unless there's a specific rule to it, like the technique can't handle more than one fusion, or the potara breaks, etc etc.

I mean, Namekians CAN merge ad infinitum after all.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri May 20, 2022 10:12 am

I think it could work, but probably is most effective if there are no cross methods involved.

If Gogeta uses the potara with Vegito and they form Gogito, and then Gogeta runs out and defuses inside of Gogito, turning him into... GoVeto, he should be half as strong as Gogito was. I guess Gogeta's fusees would eventually die, being inside a fusion with no air and all, for probably more than half an hour, I don't think a tier-2 fusion would last as long as a regular fusion. We know people can still live inside of Buu, but that could be exclusive to Buu's insides.
Or maybe Gogeta depends on Gogito's time limit and will not defuse because whatever is needed to sustain the fusion is fueled by Gogito's potara.

A multiple fusion could be OP villain for some fanfic or even for SDBH.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri May 20, 2022 7:20 pm

They would work but they've never happened for some reason

Still waiting for the Gogeta (Super) x Gogeta (Xeno) fusion, Heroes (or on a separate note, Baby and Goku Black to form Super Baby Black 2)

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Sat May 21, 2022 11:07 pm

Shorty GZ2 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:20 pm They would work but they've never happened for some reason

Still waiting for the Gogeta (Super) x Gogeta (Xeno) fusion, Heroes (or on a separate note, Baby and Goku Black to form Super Baby Black 2)
Since the relevant version of Baby is possessing Vegeta... By all means they would be (Baby) Vegito (Black) (:

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Sat May 21, 2022 11:20 pm

Thani wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:07 pm
Shorty GZ2 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:20 pm They would work but they've never happened for some reason

Since the relevant version of Baby is possessing Vegeta... By all means they would be (Baby) Vegito (Black) (:
Ah yes, Super Baby Vegetto Black 2:

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Sun May 22, 2022 9:50 pm

Pretty much everything, from character design, naming conventions, and power levels gets extremely convoluted if fused characters are allowed to fuse again. So I think both methods should be given the disclaimer in-universe, that fused characters cannot fuse further.

Namekian fusion is different. It is a signature trait of that race, like regrowing limbs. One fusee remains dominant, and keeps their name and design. They just get stronger.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song