Goku is disabled

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Goku is disabled

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:34 pm

I know there is this topic, but it asks mainly if goku is stupid or if he fakes it: viewtopic.php?t=45659
And this is more into finding a logical explanation of his particular mental state and behavior.

This question has been in my head for as long as I have been a DB fan which is about 25 years.
First of all I don't want to offend anyone. Yes I am a Vegeta fan but I am not a Goku hater, ok?

What makes me think about it is the fact that he got hit on his head. I say it did not only made him forget about the Saiyan mission but also damaged a few neurons along the way. Also the human brain (and saiyans are very similar) needs to be stimulated constantly in early childhood in order for it to naturally develop and grow, and granpa Gohan sort of neglected Goku, he did not even allowed him to see other people crippling Goku for life.

Have you watched the movie Forrest Gump? He was a guy too smart to be among the retards but too "dumb" to be considered normal, something similar happpens to Goku.

I know they have masked his behavior by saying he has a pure heart and all but here are my examples:

When he was a child and Roshi was teaching both Krillin and him about math and other school stuff Goku would struggle a lot.
When Chichi asked him to marry him he did not give it a second thought and/or ask for advice.
He would eat despite being dead and being told he does not need it. He could also have some sort of axiety disorder if you think about it...
He would not teach the instant transmission technique because not even he is sure how he learned it.
He forgot what Mirai Trunks had just said and it was not for piccolo he would have forgotten about the androids, he also
He could not see Gohan did not like to fight, it was Piccolo who had to tell him when they were against Cell.
He would abandone his family for years at a time, having access to supreme beings ways of communication and also sort spying methods
and still never tried to fugure out how his younger child looks like and/or check on Krillin to know that he was with A18, whcih wold only demonstrate his lack of rational thinking.
He abandoned his own blood to train some warrior, leaving Pan's training incomplete.
He did not know how to count to three in the correct timing in GT

I am not even taking Super into account.

I am amazed Goku was smart enough to learn the fusion dance but I guess that it does not require any mental power, only physical coordination.

I think bottom line Goku struggles living in the real world which demands more than just fighting froman an individual. And that would make Goku a Disabled person. And it would probably justify the fact that he preffers to live in the other world, less concerns, less stress.

johnny1132

Re: Goku is disabled

Post by johnny1132 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:18 pm

sir goku is a shonen protagonist; they are all stupid

ikaos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ikaos » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:31 pm

Goku is just a country hick who didn't interact with the "real" world for most of his child life. That, combined with his natural laid-back nature, pretty much explains his entire personality. There is nothing more to it than that since I doubt Toriyama was thinking more than "haha funny" while writing him.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:14 pm

ikaos wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:31 pm Goku is just a country hick who didn't interact with the "real" world for most of his child life. That, combined with his natural laid-back nature, pretty much explains his entire personality. There is nothing more to it than that since I doubt Toriyama was thinking more than "haha funny" while writing him.
True but as a final comment, all I wanted to say is for many years I was pissed off at Goku for being a bad father, but Chichi practically forced him to become a family man despite his disability, so.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:22 pm

ikaos wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:31 pm Goku is just a country hick who didn't interact with the "real" world for most of his child life. That, combined with his natural laid-back nature, pretty much explains his entire personality. There is nothing more to it than that since I doubt Toriyama was thinking more than "haha funny" while writing him.
Indeed and the suggestion that he is disabled is kinda insulting for me as a person with autism............ :evil:
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:04 pm

Nah my dude Goku is a simple man. Definitely not disabled, just ignorant in certain ways.

A great example is he constantly is capable of learning and picking up things (even the math) when given the opportunity. He doesn't show a lack of ability to learn but a lack of opportunity. His actions are goofy for sure. That isn't indicative of a disability though.

Any other stuff I chalk up to him being written as a Shonen protagonist.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:35 pm

I really like the comparison to Forrest Gump there, Goku just isn't looked at in the same way because of the different natures of each story. Dragon Ball is first and foremost an action comedy after all, so I totally understand when people say Goku is just a hillbilly whose cluelessness is played for laughs. But when you put all this stuff together, it's very clear. He even has his hyperfixation on martial arts!

I wouldn't say he has a food disorder though. I think it's made clear somewhere in the series that Saiyans just eat a lot, you can see Vegeta and Gohan are like this too.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Ashur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashur » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:01 am

If anything he looks more like a prodigy than anything being able to learn complex energy manipulation techniques with just looking at them, he's just bad at adapting to urban society, which is normal given that he grew up in a mountain for the first 12 years of his life, struggling with maths is perfectly normal for any 12 year old without formal education.