Evidence that [Trunks saga] Vegeta is possibly the strongest Saiyan

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Evidence that [Trunks saga] Vegeta is possibly the strongest Saiyan

Post by Mireya » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:34 pm

Translation: You're a super Saiyan, but don't get carried away... I'm going to beat you one of these days. Don't forget that I'm the number one Saiyan...

So Vegeta is obviously taking the SSJ out of the picture. But without it, he labels himself the #1 Saiyan. So could it imply that no SSJs or techniques, Vegeta was the strongest at Trunks' arrival?

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Evidence that [Trunks saga] Vegeta is possibly the strongest Saiyan

Post by Lionel » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:58 pm

My first impression is that Vegeta was verbally reconciling his personal frustrations at having been left in the dust not only by a man who was previously considered to be an unremarkable Saiyan commoner unfit for much outside of subjugating the lowliest of worlds but by a mysterious new youth. As far as Vegeta knew only himself, Goku and, loosely, Gohan were the sole surviving Saiyans. It's as though his perception of how the proverbial food chain was supposed to be was crumbling all around him.

In the panel you cited Vegeta may have been hearkening to his princely background and the notion that his potential was the greatest of everyone present. Such a notion would contradict Vegeta's prior observations of hybrids like Gohan possessing an exceptional amount of potential for growth but it's possible Vegeta may have felt comfortable in his prospects of remaining ahead of Gohan. At that point in time the boy had only ever overtaken Vegeta when he was driven into a frenzy by Freeza's brutality against Krillin and soon afterwards Piccolo. It was a fleeting moment however and for Vegeta he must have felt that he was able to retake agency over the outcome of the fight when he received his last zenkai and overtook everyone else sans Goku. Gohan was a challenge but probably only a secondary one in Vegeta's mind.

So a combination of past lineages, mental self-reinforcement, expectation of how things should be and probably the notion that anything Goku could do Vegeta could achieve several times that result is what prompted him to make that statement. I don't think Vegeta was actually stronger than Goku barring transformations at that. Far as we're aware the only training Vegeta had available to himself was working out in the middle of the wilderness like Piccolo. In fact you could make the argument that Piccolo's training was probably more advantageous since he gravitates towards an area of the world that's speculated to have a climate similar to Namek's. Overall Namek has seen the development of a stronger species than Earth; that could also help to explain Piccolo's confidence in challenging Vegeta to a fight at this time.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:07 pm

Lionel wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:58 pm In the panel you cited Vegeta may have been hearkening to his princely background and the notion that his potential was the greatest of everyone present.
This is what I was thinking too. In the Android Saga he talks like his superiority is a status quo that was only temporarily shaken and uses his royal blood to justify it.

But as far as training goes, Goku says didn’t he didn’t any time to train because he was mostly resting, learning how to transform at will and how to use Shunkan Ido. Even if you take Zenkai boosts into account, Vegeta claims to have gotten one in the anime when he’s revived and even wants to challenge Freeza again.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

FeatsofPower
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FeatsofPower » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:56 pm

In regards to training for power, Goku has been slacking off for years while Vegeta most likely has been training very intensely. It's definitely possible for Vegeta > Goku at this point of the story.

Ashur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashur » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:29 am

There is no Trunks Saga, that is from the Android/Cell saga.

Goku's base was already superior to Vegeta's when he fought Frieza, with Vegeta staying in Earth to eat barbeque while Goku gets a new type of training in Yadrat, i highly doubt his base is superior to Goku's, we know every time characters get new training methods they get massive results, wich is consistent with how much powerful than Mecha Frieza post-Yadrat Goku is.

We know SSJ Goku from this time he could stop Trunks, who easily killed Frieza, with a finger, when Vegeta was convinced that not even with all the Dragon Team helping him could he beat Frieza at that time, before even seeing Mecha Frieza's full power, Vegeta wasn't even aware of Frieza's 100% on Namek and only faced him at 3.000.000 PL, so him thinking there's no way he can defeat Frieza indicates he didin't change much since Namek, especially given there's no evidence he's training hard or trying new methods, we just see him eat barbeque with Goku's friends.

So everything points at Goku's base still being superior given his growth rate compared to Vegeta's.

Vegeta's line here is just a sign of arrogance and more of a warning of how he will eventually become the strongest again because of his better raw potential compared to Goku, he may not be currently the strongest, but he is inherently the strongest Saiyan, by blood, which is something that is very important to Vegeta.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:17 pm

Everyone at first told to be better than Goku, then see what happened...
Anyway, #1 sayan is by noble heritage, Vegeta drive for his pride was about that fuss being the prince (#1 in the sayan hierarchy), so it deserve to win whatever. Not the *real* thing.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.