Could Buu copy Ultra Instinct?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Could Buu copy Ultra Instinct?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:37 pm

I wonder if Buu can copy Ultra Instinct like he can with other moves like Kai Kai, Vegeta's Ki Bullets, and Kamehameha after seeing it once?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: Could Buu copy Ultra Instinct?

Post by theherodjl » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:14 am

Since UI is a technique rather than a power up, then probably. Although, as seen with Moro, just because UI can be copied doesn't mean that it allows a fighter to master it. Boo would only be able to achieve a novice level of UI(in comparison to Goku or the Angels) just from seeing the technique and would need to hone it through his own training & methods to make the most of it.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:16 pm

theherodjl wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:14 am Since UI is a technique rather than a power up, then probably. Although, as seen with Moro, just because UI can be copied doesn't mean that it allows a fighter to master it. Boo would only be able to achieve a novice level of UI(in comparison to Goku or the Angels) just from seeing the technique and would need to hone it through his own training & methods to make the most of it.
I agree with theherodjl here. Buu showed an impressive level of mimicry at various points throughout the Buu arc; he copies Vegeta's 'technique', the Kamehameha, and Kibitokai's teleportation. It's arguably more impressive than any other's at that point in the series.

Copying a technique like Ultra Instinct would provide for a good outlet to the readers in demonstrating how this character or that character is more skilled than others. It took someone of Roshi's age and experience just to achieve a pale imitation of Ultra Instinct. Imagine if Buu was able to copy it. I could believe it considering how old Buu is and the imitative nature of some of his abilities.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:29 pm

I have conflicting arguments.

On one hand, Beerus still isn't getting the hang of it, and it seems no other GoD can do it either. So, it's an extremely difficult technique that probably isn't something like a beam attack or teleportation, it involves the entire body and mind to be sorta synched. So it might be beyond Buu's capabilities of learning stuff on the spot just by seeing it in action.

But... 7-3 could, he copied Merus, so why wouldn't Buu be able to do it? Sure, he is an android built for that specific reason, to copy stuff, so it might not be feasible for Buu (but if the plot demands it, Buu has what it takes to learn it)
Although, probably it would be a lackluster version of it, one that either doesn't last long, isn't as effective or seriously damages his body. Moro was on the verge of self destruction, and his body was much more resilient than Buu's. Should be noted that Buu's chewing gum anatomy might circumvent that problem.

I'd say no, not on the spot like he learned Kai Kai.