Didn't like the movie doggin' my boy Krillin

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Didn't like the movie doggin' my boy Krillin

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:31 am

They think now Yamcha and Tien are too weak to be of any relevance they can just pick on Krillin. It was kinda annoying to see Bulma of all people making fun of how weak he is when he can blink her of existence.

Stop bullying the human warriors.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Didn't like the movie doggin' my boy Krillin

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:34 am

I'd have agreed before 2015 but with Kuririn now being a cop he no longer gets any sympathy from me. :p
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:45 am

All things considered Krillin performed well against Cell Max.

I know this is "In-Universe" but never in the film did I feel like there was a sense of danger or that they would not come out alive. That's why the statement "Even if Goku and Vegeta was here it we might've lost" felt so forced in my opinion. Krillin jokes works because unlike Yamcha and Ten, he's important lol. Krillin the guy in the friend group you make jokes about and he laughs with you. Yamcha and Ten are the joke
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:15 am

I don't like people being ridiculed just for trying. That's like making fun of a fat person for going to the gym.

Don't shit on people for wanting to better themselves.

It's fucking evil and hits too close to home.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:35 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:34 am I'd have agreed before 2015 but with Kuririn now being a cop he no longer gets any sympathy from me. :p
That's not fair. There's some good cops in the world.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:54 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:15 am I don't like people being ridiculed just for trying. That's like making fun of a fat person for going to the gym.

Don't shit on people for wanting to better themselves.

It's fucking evil and hits too close to home.
I can relate to that too. It's one of the reasons why I didn't like how Sora was being talked down upon in Kingdom Hearts 3. At least Krillin somewhat stuck up for himself and made a joke outta it after Pan flied for first time

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:32 am

Bulma's "joke" aside, Krillin actually did receive a few moments of respect in this movie...

-When Cell Max was about to attack #18, Krillin's Destructo Disk clearly 'hurt' him to some extent, as it stopped his charge all together(and Cell was still at full-power, no less.)

-The Solar Flare Krillin used against Cell Max made it possible for Gamma #2's kamikaze to hit its mark, and gave the Z Fighters enough time to leave the area.

-A kick from Krillin noticeably rocked Cell Max after he was weakened.

...So there is that, at least.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:07 pm

Galan007 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:32 am Bulma's "joke" aside, Krillin actually did receive a few moments of respect in this movie...

-When Cell Max was about to attack #18, Krillin's Destructo Disk clearly 'hurt' him to some extent, as it stopped his charge all together(and Cell was still at full-power, no less.)

-The Solar Flare Krillin used against Cell Max made it possible for Gamma #2's kamikaze to hit its mark, and gave the Z Fighters enough time to leave the area.

Yeah, Krillin did very well. I, a fan of the human fighters from DB, was very pleased. I hate to say it, but I think this firmly cements Krillin as the strongest human. Just going by DBZ, I always considered that Tenshinhan was the strongest Earthling, but I don't think he would have performed this well vs Cell Max, even with Taiyoken being his technique. Krillin has a better track record with that technique too.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:50 pm

BWri wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:07 pm
Galan007 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:32 am Bulma's "joke" aside, Krillin actually did receive a few moments of respect in this movie...

Yeah, Krillin did very well. I, a fan of the human fighters from DB, was very pleased. I hate to say it, but I think this firmly cements Krillin as the strongest human. Just going by DBZ, I always considered that Tenshinhan was the strongest Earthling, but I don't think he would have performed this well vs Cell Max, even with Taiyoken being his technique. Krillin has a better track record with that technique too.

Taiyoken is more associated with Krillin than Ten these days. When the last time Ten even performed the attack? Also wonder why Goku don't use it more in combat.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:00 pm

ATA wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:50 pm
BWri wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:07 pm

Taiyoken is more associated with Krillin than Ten these days. When the last time Ten even performed the attack? Also wonder why Goku don't use it more in combat.
Yeah, that's what I mean and even when Tien did use it, it failed against Goku because Goku was prepared whereas with Krillin it seems to always work when he uses it so he's more or less stolen it and made it his signature.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:31 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:31 am They think now Yamcha and Tien are too weak to be of any relevance they can just pick on Krillin. It was kinda annoying to see Bulma of all people making fun of how weak he is when he can blink her of existence.

It was played very well. In universe Bulma and Krillin have a brother-sister relationship from all they’ve been through. They’ve watched each other go from young kids to hood parents.

Out of universe Krillin has been getting big praise for his role in this movie. Many people have been acknowledging how they did his character in this movie. Yes he was played for jokes, but he’s awesome too.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:31 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:31 am They think now Yamcha and Tien are too weak to be of any relevance they can just pick on Krillin. It was kinda annoying to see Bulma of all people making fun of how weak he is when he can blink her of existence.

It was played very well. In universe Bulma and Krillin have a brother-sister relationship from all they’ve been through. They’ve watched each other go from young kids to hood parents.

Out of universe Krillin has been getting big praise for his role in this movie. Many people have been acknowledging how they did his character in this movie. Yes he was played for jokes, but he’s awesome too.

Ashur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashur » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:44 am

I think you kind of missed what the point of Bulma mocking Krillin was, it wasn't for us to just laugh at the guy, but to later be subverted, and show her that Krillin was actually useful, as he saved her life, in fact during the fight he helped a lot, just as much as 18, if not more.

Gotenks was the joke, Krillin was an asset.

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:39 pm

Power creep is a thing in just about any anime, Krillin simply got Power creeped like Neji did in Naruto Shippuden, and that's okay. Krillin is weak but it wouldn't make any sense otherwise

BWri

Post by BWri » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:07 pm

BagetaSama wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:39 pm Power creep is a thing in just about any anime, Krillin simply got Power creeped like Neji did in Naruto Shippuden, and that's okay. Krillin is weak but it wouldn't make any sense otherwise
Still mad that we never got to see him truly cut loose in Shippuden. He was my favorite. You'd think they'd have something good for the 1st jounin of the Konoha 11, but maybe having other genius characters such as Shika and Sasuke took away the need for Neji.

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:26 am

BWri wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:07 pm
BagetaSama wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:39 pm Power creep is a thing in just about any anime, Krillin simply got Power creeped like Neji did in Naruto Shippuden, and that's okay. Krillin is weak but it wouldn't make any sense otherwise
Still mad that we never got to see him truly cut loose in Shippuden. He was my favorite. You'd think they'd have something good for the 1st jounin of the Konoha 11, but maybe having other genius characters such as Shika and Sasuke took away the need for Neji.
I didn't mean to make this into a Naruto discussion lol. I wanted to bring up how it is a common trope, and there's nothing wrong with it. By what rationale could Krillin really keep up? It only makes sense that he's relegated to the sidelines.