Could Goku learn the shapeshifting technique?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BernardoCairo

Could Goku learn the shapeshifting technique?

Post by BernardoCairo » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:35 am

Could Goku learn the shapeshifting technique? Could it benefit him in any way?
We know you can only stay transformed for five minutes, before having to wait a minute to try again.
I think it's pretty OP. It's not that big of a deal for Oolong and Puar because they're weak and the user's strength remains the same, even transformed. But Goku is a God and he could use that to increase and decrease his size, create weapons like Gas and even trick the enemy... Maybe? He could even increase the size of his hand while punching, like Alex Kidd. An arc where Goku goes to Oolong so he can learn and have a trick up his sleeve to defeat someone can be so funny too (you know, Moro arc Vegeta style)...

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Re: Could Goku learn the shapeshifting technique?

Post by nineko » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:47 am

Two things:
  1. the 5-minute limit only applies to Oolong because he didn't graduate from shapeshifting school. Puar can hold his transformations indefinitely;
  2. if the goal is only to become smaller or bigger in size, Goku can always go back to Yardrat and perfect the Spirit Control technique, which would seem an easier option considering that he already knows the basis of that technique.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:14 pm

I don't think Goku really needs it. He can already Megaman people's attacks just by looking at them. Transforming would just be for aesthetic purposes at the level he fights.

He does like trolling, so maybe he could use it to tease or trick one of his serious opponents, like Jiren.

I would like to see a villain utilize this technique. Maybe someone who could sow the seeds of deception amongst the good guys.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:12 pm

I'd enjoy using that technique personaly even as a Saiyan.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:17 pm

I don't see why he couldn't be able to learn it, but it's plausible that he might not want to because he prefers fighting with martial arts techniques.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:17 pm

Yeah, Puar's shapeshifting abilities are described in the Daizenshuu as well for being more effective than Oolong's. If anything can be transformed into theoretically then Goku could morph into a substance that's fatal to an opponent. Although I don't know how that would work against the likes of Freeza, Buu or Beerus who seem to be virtually immune to all pathogens and substances. Maybe if he somehow was able to attack them from the inside. Does ki enhance a person's internal anatomy? The only instance of this was in the non-canonical GT where Uub intentionally allowed himself to be ingested by Baby so he could attack internally but the latter was able to generate some kind of physiological distension with his insides which physically pressured Uub and allowed Baby to expel him. Not sure if that was unique to Baby alone who is a parasite, though.