Namekian Absorption: How Influential Are They to Changing their Personalities?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Namekian Absorption: How Influential Are They to Changing their Personalities?

Post by Wrigglything » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:23 pm

We know that Piccolo first did this technique with Nail in the Namek arc, and then later on with Kami (God) in the Androids arc. Some eagle eyed folks noticed that Piccolo had a change in personality whenever he absorbed someone, being more calm and collected. A farcry from the world conquering madman his father and younger self was. Or that is what they say, anyway.

Truthfully, you could say the shift already happened from the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai (World Martial Arts Tournament), showing more respect to his opponent, as well as his time spent training Gohan. But many people also seem to spot he changed as well once Nail and Kami were absorbed into him. But how much do you guys think it influenced him to be who he is after the Cell saga? Did it make him a better person, character, or you think its the opposite. Maybe even just something that has not been given much thought anyway.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Re: Namekian Absorption: How Influential Are They to Changing their Personalities?

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:05 pm

There has definitely always been a strong influence from Piccolo's absorbees ever since the Namek arc. He refers to the Grand Elder as "Grand Elder-sama" at the very end, which tips Dende off that Piccolo does have a piece of Nail in him. In the anime, Nail even asserts himself through Piccolo during his fight with Freeza and speaks with his own voice.

I think the overall change to Piccolo after absorbing Nail was fairly minimal, since they established that Piccolo and Nail were already very similar. I suppose Piccolo became slightly more respectful and level-headed. He changed more noticeably after he absorbed Kami, but in that case, it was more a case of him becoming his true, completed self once again.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: Namekian Absorption: How Influential Are They to Changing their Personalities?

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:50 pm

Piccolo before Nail was a wild child, who comparing the two, was vastly unprepared and out of his element. Look at how he "trained" Gohan for example. Sure he was noble, up to a point. And sure, being killed by him didn't put your soul in a horrible limbo situation like other demons, but he was still a mess, told to avenge his father, but not given the power or the mind to figure out how. Fusing with Nail turned him from a child into an adult in moments.

In terms of personality, not much has changed between fusing with Nail and fusing with Kami. Nail was a stoic, respectful Namekian, Kami was a wise old master/formerly God who was also the strong silent type. Absorbing Kami gave Piccolo vast access to knowledge, and made him an even better tactician, and maybe gave him vaster quantities of patience when training kids, but Nail had already set the personality going forward.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:27 pm

It might be headcanon but I think that Goku's naive purity had more of an impact on Piccolo's personality than any fusion with other Nameks had. Goku just has some enigmatic effect on others that makes them desire to change even if they never had or felt any reason to so before.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:58 pm

theherodjl wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:27 pm It might be headcanon but I think that Goku's naive purity had more of an impact on Piccolo's personality than any fusion with other Nameks had. Goku just has some enigmatic effect on others that makes them desire to change even if they never had or felt any reason to so before.
It's due to a wish his mother Gine made after Bardock took her to planet Cereal on a date :wink: . She wanted a son that could change the world for the better.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-