Movies release dates along with the Anime and Manga (Mathematical Evidence)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ Expert
Not-So-Newbie

Movies release dates along with the Anime and Manga (Mathematical Evidence)

Post by DBZ Expert » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:20 pm

What I am going to do now is to show a mathematical evidence of how the movies relate between the Manga chapters and the Anime episodes, what were both the last Manga chapter and Anime episode released prior to a movie's release respectively, plus their time gap between both the last chapter of the Manga and the last episode of the Anime prior to a movie's release respectively. So let's begin

Movie 1: Dead Zone (July 15 1989)

Movie 2: The World's Strongest (March 10 1990)

Movie 3: The Tree Of Might (July 7 1990)

Movie 4: Lord Slug (March 9 1991)

Movie 5: Cooler's Revenge (20 July 1991)

Movie 6: The Return of Cooer (March 7 1992)

Movie 7: Super Android 13 (July 11 1992)

Movie 8: Broly The Legendary Super Saiyan (6 March 1993)

Movie 9: Bojack Unbound (July 10 1993)

Movie 10: Broly Second Coming (March 12 1994)

Movie 11: Bio Broly (July 9 1994)

Movie 12: Fusion Reborn (March 4 1995)

Movie 13: Wrath Of The Dragon (July 15 1995)

So what do you think about this Mathematical evidence? It's to show the time skip between the Manga's chapter and the Anime's episode at the time of a movie's release is where the movie's production works and the movie villian being as strong as the strongest character at that pointin the Manga at the time the movie starts it's production.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Movies release dates along with the Anime and Manga (Mathematical Evidence)

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:58 am

Good job putting out this detailed breakdown and it makes good sense, yeah.
It is also another good reminder of how close the anime got to catching up to the manga during the Freeza Arc lol. From 20 episodes behind at the start of the Saiyan Arc to 12 episodes behind at the climax of the Freeza Arc, utterly ridiculous.

DBZ Expert
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ Expert » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:55 am

dbgtFO wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:58 am Good job putting out this detailed breakdown and it makes good sense, yeah.
It is also another good reminder of how close the anime got to catching up to the manga during the Freeza Arc lol. From 20 episodes behind at the start of the Saiyan Arc to 12 episodes behind at the climax of the Freeza Arc, utterly ridiculous.
Thanks. The point was also to show the intended level of the movie villians.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:30 pm

DBZ Expert wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:55 am
dbgtFO wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:58 am Good job putting out this detailed breakdown and it makes good sense, yeah.
Yeah and I agree with that.
Not so fun fact, Toei had a webpage for the Z movies, that is now defunct, put Janemba as the strongest classic Z movie villain and not Hildegarn.
The reasoning provided was: (and I am not joking!) "Super Saiyan 3 Goku couldn't beat Janemba, but he could beat Hildegarn, thus Janemba was stronger than Hildegarn!"
As if Goku couldn't get stronger between the two timeperiods LMFAO.

DBZ Expert
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ Expert » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:08 pm

dbgtFO wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:30 pm
Not so fun fact, Toei had a webpage for the Z movies, that is now defunct, put Janemba as the strongest classic Z movie villain and not Hildegarn.
The reasoning provided was: (and I am not joking!) "Super Saiyan 3 Goku couldn't beat Janemba, but he could beat Hildegarn, thus Janemba was stronger than Hildegarn!"
Lol. That's clearly wrong because in the Anime, Goku gets haxed the more the Boo Saga goes on. Movie 13 is based on the late Fusion Arc where Goku is so haxed that he can hold his own against Gotenks-Boo and even survive a fight with Gohan-Boo as a SSjin. He gets the same hax in Movie 13. He even gets more haxed later in the Pure Boo Arc when he fights evenly with Pire Boo who is stated to be stronger than Gohan-Boo.

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:28 pm

So the anime had about two movies a year? Interesting. One for spring and one for the summer. I wonder if this is why certain TV episodes lacked quality in terms of art or animation.
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:11 pm

dbgtFO wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:30 pmThe reasoning provided was: (and I am not joking!) "Super Saiyan 3 Goku couldn't beat Janemba, but he could beat Hildegarn, thus Janemba was stronger than Hildegarn!"
And the fact that Goku didn't even consider fusion for Hirudegarn.
dbgtFO wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:30 pmAs if Goku couldn't get stronger between the two timeperiods LMFAO.
He could (and he most likely did), but whatever gain Goku got was minimal. Movie 12 takes place during Majin Buu saga, while Movie 13 is after it. So the timeskip between these two movies is no more than a few months at most. Unless Goku knew Whis and trained with him in that time frame, or unless Old Kaioshin performed the ritual on Goku, he couldn't have got a lot stronger in the meantime, enough to surpass Janemba on his own at least.

Maybe Goku was or got strong enough to defeat Hirudegarn, but considering the gap between Goku and Janemba was huge and the short timeskip that most certainly didn't help Goku to be strong enough to defeat Janemba, that also suggests Janemba is stronger than Hirudegarn.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

DBZ Expert
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ Expert » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:05 pm

dbgtFO wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:30 pm
Koyama seems to agree too. I found this interview.
How did you create the original stories for the theatrical movies?

When we made the episodes for the theatrical features, first the scriptwriter, the producer, and Toriyama-sensei‘s supervising editor would get together, and meet about story concepts, such as what to do about the main villain. Then I would put together a plot based on the content of what we’d talked about. I’d send that plot to Toriyama-sensei and get his opinion on it, then start writing out the scenario — that was the typical flow. Once I got to writing, I’d be joined at the hip with the producer.
With regards to the contents, there was the restriction that the movie “not progress into story settings further ahead than the TV anime at the time of its premiere”; for example, even if I’d decided to do fusion, I wouldn’t be allowed to do it ahead of the TV anime or the original manga.1 So I’d always be conscious of its state of progress on TV, and if we were doing the Freeza arc in the TV anime at the time of the premiere, a story would be born with the sense of, “Let’s bring out Freeza’s older brother!” Except, at times such as when the state of production on the TV anime caught up to the original work, it would be extremely tough with nothing to use as hints, and I received ideas directly from Toriyama-sensei.

It would take about three months’ time from the planning stage until the completion of a single movie’s scenario. Dragon Ball Z had two movies shown each year, in spring and summer, so that works out to me having been writing a theatrical movie scenario for over half a given year at the time. (laughs)
Look at the bold parts. I actually claimed this way before I saw this interview.

Here is the link for the full interview.

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... ao-koyama/

Those levels for the movie villians should be set in stone.