I always felt weird that Sergeant Metallic was in a commanding position...

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

I always felt weird that Sergeant Metallic was in a commanding position...

Post by Geraldo » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:09 am

It seemed off to me that organic lifeforms had to take orders from an android, whose judgement was the result of computer processing.

A cyborg, I could understand; but a complete scrap of metal? Very weird to place such a thing in a commanding rank (a Sergeant can boss around Corporals and Privates) rather than placing it as an officer's bodyguard or pawn to back up the weaker soldiers in the lower floors of Muscle Tower.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Re: I always felt weird that Sergeant Metallic was in a commanding position...

Post by Darkprince410 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:23 am

While he has that rank, it may be the equivalent of just being honorary and not something that he actually ever operated on (i.e. gave orders to underlings), and perhaps just a title given to him to make other soldiers able to accept working around him more readily.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:34 am

In fiction especially, robots are believed to not make any errors. His lack of emotion is a weapon so he could not be swayed by external causes/the good guys. So I san see that being an advantage, especially in Dragon Ball where bad guys constantly repent.

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Seekeroftruth » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:01 pm

Geraldo wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:09 am It seemed off to me that organic lifeforms had to take orders from an android, whose judgement was the result of computer processing.

A cyborg, I could understand; but a complete scrap of metal? Very weird to place such a thing in a commanding rank (a Sergeant can boss around Corporals and Privates) rather than placing it as an officer's bodyguard or pawn to back up the weaker soldiers in the lower floors of Muscle Tower.
You realize humans are just crappier versions of robots, right?

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:39 pm

It's hard to say as while Metallic did seem to have the reasoning capabilities and respect for command structure to guard a floor of the tower, we see very little of his interaction with others from his faction. The only artificial beings that had any kind of command post or function was #20 and he was an organic model, a cyborg. The other androids we hear and see like #16 and #19 had personalities and self-awareness but they seemed driven by core behavioural impulses too like the death of Goku.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:11 am

I felt it was weird that he acted and was treated to be far different from Eighter, and other Androids. Did Toriyama first make Metallic as an Arnold joke, then realized he liked the robot concept more than he thought?