Vegetto or Vegerot

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

tainted saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Vegetto or Vegerot

Post by tainted saiyan » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:42 pm

Which do you prefer? I recently bought Vol. 42, and witnessed the name change. So which is canononical?
Chivalry

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:44 pm

Vegetto, duh. There have been some previous hilarious topics about this. ;p

Android18
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Android18 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:44 pm

oh damn dammnt i mean who in the world would choose vegerot?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Vegetto or Vegerot

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:45 pm

tainted saiyan wrote:Which do you prefer? I recently bought Vol. 42, and witnessed the name change. So which is canononical?
Neither is. The only "canononical" (wtf?) name is ベジット.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:47 pm

Vegetto is the official, accepted name. The only people that would use Vegerot is Viz media and a handful of Wikipedians.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:51 pm

tarsonis wrote:Vegetto is the official, accepted name.
I wouldn't go that far. I'd say, if anything, it's nothing more than a hold-over from fandom pre-FUNimation. They use "Vegito" in their dub, which... doesn't make a whole Hell of a lot of sense considering their spelling of "Vegeta", but whatever... it isn't wrong.

If you're going to use a spelling of "Kakarrot" (or just "Kakarot"), it doesn't make sense to use the "Vegetto" spelling, since the hard "tto" sound comes from kakarotto. On the other hand, dropping that entirely gives you something that doesn't even resemble a name... Veget (or Vegit, Vejit, etc.).

That being said, I've always gone with "Vegetto". I spell "Vegeta" as such, and I'm acknowledging that I know where the name comes from without trying to be a complete and utter moron about proving it like Viz did.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Vegetto or Vegerot

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:54 pm

tainted saiyan wrote:[...]canononical?
Quite a mouthful :P. When I first discovered Viz's manga, I put it on high regard and took almost everything they said almost as a secondary source from Toriyama himself. Needless to say, I learned about the its flaws...

I even asked the webmaster why he chose VegettoEX over VegerotEX a while back and he told me something about the combination of Kakarrot and Vegeta wouldn't make Vegerot or something, but I can't remember. Just remember Vegetto sounds better I guess.. :P

-edit- God, I type pretty slow sometimes, too. Just get the information from his post. :)

-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

GI_Judd2287
Beyond Newbie

Post by GI_Judd2287 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:06 pm

Unless you always refer to Goku's Saiyan name as "Kakarotto", there's not much of a reason to call him "Vegetto" (or Vegito for that matter). Vegerot makes much more sense.
Last edited by GI_Judd2287 on Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?"-- Captain America

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:07 pm

GI_Judd2287 wrote:Unless you always "Kakarott" "Kakarotto", there's not much of a reason to call him "Vegetto". Vegerot makes much more sense.
The problem is... uhh... that's not his name.

GI_Judd2287
Beyond Newbie

Post by GI_Judd2287 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:09 pm

But then the wording makes no sense. I didn't figure out for awhile that Vegetto is derived from Kakarotto.
"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?"-- Captain America

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:15 pm

GI_Judd2287 wrote:Unless you always refer to Goku's Saiyan name as "Kakarotto", there's not much of a reason to call him "Vegetto" (or Vegito for that matter). Vegerot makes much more sense.
Wouldn't it be 'Veget' technically?

Vegeta + Kakarotto = Vegetto - to = Veget

Both 'Veget' and 'Vegerot' are equally dumb sounding IMHO, I'm just saying if you're trying to remain true to the original name...

-Corey

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:18 pm

Vegetto is derived from Kakarotto.

Vegerot is derived from Kakarot, which was just a stupid transfer of the name if you put it in the Vegetto sense.

Kakarot in itself seems like a decent transfer, but Vegerot is just nasty to say... So I prefer Vegetto, and when I buy the Viz manga I plan on using white out and a sharpie to change all instances of "Vegerot" to "Vegetto" :P
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

GI_Judd2287
Beyond Newbie

Post by GI_Judd2287 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:22 pm

I agree that the staying true to the original name is important. But if you go around saying "Kakarot" and then "Vegetto", it doesn't make much sense. The "-to" comes from Kakarotto. It doesn't matter a whole lot. Just some nitpicking on my part.

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:24 pm

Hopefully you don't go around saying Kakarot... OR Vegerot for that matter...

The whole ROT thing at the end of those can be a buzzkill O_o
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:25 pm

GI_Judd2287 wrote:I agree that the staying true to the original name is important. But if you go around saying "Kakarot" and then "Vegetto", it doesn't make much sense. The "-to" comes from Kakarotto. It doesn't matter a whole lot. Just some nitpicking on my part.
That's why I/you/he/she/they/we shouldn't treat the 'to' as extraneous and just call him 'Kakarotto' ;p

-Corey

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:13 pm

I don't care if it's accurate, Vegito just sounds better than Vegerot.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:18 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
I wouldn't go that far. I'd say, if anything, it's nothing more than a hold-over from fandom pre-FUNimation.
A bit more than that. The "Vegetto" spelling was used on Japanese merchandise.

aarondirebear
Beyond Newbie

Post by aarondirebear » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:12 pm

honestly, is Ka Ka Ro T(hold the T sound for an extra stop) O really that hard to say?
I pronnounce it that way all the time.

There are 3 types of names in Dragon World:
1) Real Japanese words
2) Real English words (or foreign loan words)
3) Words Akira Toriyama made up by switching around Kana a bit.

Types 1 and 3 should never be changed, while type 2 should be romanized as their English (or other language) meaning. Actually, if the name is a Romance language its much easier to translate into Kana than an English name.

Kakarotto is an original name created by Toriyama san, whereas names like Seru and Torankusu are real English words transliterated into Japanese, and Buruma is a Japanese schoolgirl's gym shorts.

The sound BUHlma doesnt even come ***** close to the way Buruma is supposed to sound for god sakes.
Last edited by aarondirebear on Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You dont need a reason to help people" ~ Zidane

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:23 pm

Usually I'm ok with dub names (Especialy considering most of the cast of Pokemon have different names in English) but Vegerot just sounds terrible. Heck to be "accurate" to the removal of the O in Kakarotto would come up with Vegett which is even worse. Vegetto not only sounds cooler but is what English fans are used to.
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:26 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
I wouldn't go that far. I'd say, if anything, it's nothing more than a hold-over from fandom pre-FUNimation.
A bit more than that. The "Vegetto" spelling was used on Japanese merchandise.
Yeah, I recall seeing it written on Japanese toys, etc. (as well as my Jump Ultimate Stars game) it is "Vegetto".
「あの地球人のように?・・・クリリンのことか・・・クリリンのことか————っ!!!!!!」

「オレは地球からきさまをたおすためにやってきたサイヤ人・・・おだやかな心をもちながらはげしい怒りによって目覚めた伝説の戦士・・・超サイヤ人孫悟空だ!!!!!」