Question about the SSJ3 Goku and Fat Buu Battle

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pirate Hunter

Question about the SSJ3 Goku and Fat Buu Battle

Post by Pirate Hunter » Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:25 pm

I just have a question, I read or heard somewhere that during the battle Goku could have killed Buu, but he decided to let Goten and Trunks have a chance at him. Is that true?

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:17 am

Yes, that's true. Goku admits to Vegeta before the battle with Kid Boo that he couldve killed him back then. However, he wanted to make sure that the Earth would be left with heros after his death. He was going back to the dead shortly, and couldn't just come back whenever a new threat came up.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:54 am

He actually explains this to Piccolo as well, when they are at Kami's palace waiting for Goten and Trunks to wake up.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:56 am

Y'know, it really is a good thing they had those Dragonballs to cover up Stupid Goku decisions like this that result in large numbers of people dying.

And, just once, why don't they do the "Intense Training" BEFORE the bad guy turns up, rather than while they are running around killing people? Eh?

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:15 am

Actually it was a VERY good choice considering they CAN revive everyone with the 'balls.

What if Goku DID kill Buu then? What happens after he's gone for good now, and another enemy shows up and Goten and Trunks have had NO training whatsoever? No REAL battle experience?
-Laserkid

Pirate Hunter

Post by Pirate Hunter » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:17 am

Thank you for helping me clear that up because I wasn't sure. And laserkid I think that you make a good point.
Last edited by Pirate Hunter on Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:18 am

And, just once, why don't they do the "Intense Training" BEFORE the bad guy turns up, rather than while they are running around killing people? Eh?
Like Vegeta after the namek saga! He KNOWS he wants to beat the crap out of SSJ Goku when he returns. When he finds out about the Androids though, THEN he goes and gets himself a 300g gravity room.

Speaking of which, does he ever train enough to handle 300g? In the manga the highest we ever see is 150, but kid trunks is in there w/him so it was probably toned down so as to not splat his kid. However, he tells Trunks to amscray since 150g is too much for the brat to handle. Was this because Vegeta was only used to 150g at that point? PLEASE proove me wrong because that would just be sad if it took Goku a week to go up 90g and it took Vegeta over a decade to go up 140g.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:31 am

I wouldn't be suprised if it took Vegita that long as opposed to Goku. It's always been that way after all. Goku the wonderkid and poor Vegita watching on the sidelines seething away! And I actually agree with Psyliam about Goku making a couple of dumb decisions over the course of his life. Goku should have fought Buu because as it turned out, they couldn't rely on Trunks and Goten since it turned out they were spoiled, unaware show-offs. Their own friends got transformed into chocolate and eaten because of their delays with "performing". Hey if you can't protect your friends, well I guess forget the rest of the population! Not to mention what they put poor Piccolo through! And again, don't forget the other stupid decision of not wanting to be wished backed after being killed by Cell. Personally, I feel Goku's extremely gifted and smart when it comes to actual fighting and going with intuition, but he should leave the planning to someone else.

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:21 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:Goku should have fought Buu because as it turned out, they couldn't rely on Trunks and Goten since it turned out they were spoiled, unaware show-offs. Their own friends got transformed into chocolate and eaten because of their delays with "performing". Hey if you can't protect your friends, well I guess forget the rest of the population! Not to mention what they put poor Piccolo through!
Goten isn't spoiled... Not a show-off.. Not unaware... You just listed all of Chibi Trunks's good qualities.

Sorry about that. I just absolutely hate Chibi Trunks. That, and I like Goten. Don't insult little Goten! :cry:

But enough of that. Yeah, Trunks does seem to be dominant in Gotenks. But heck, he's still funny. Anyway, Goku killing Fat Buu with ease when he could wouldn't really be a good way to end a series, now would it?
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:38 pm

Of course it wouldn't be a good way to end a series! But what we're talking about is whether certain decisions Goku has made are smart or not. When it's time to talk about plot devices, that's when I'll bring up that point. And I'm sorry Dai if I was a little hard on Goten. I was referring to Gotenks really and Trunks. Goten is actually a very sweet boy, without Trunks there. It's just that the poor thing is not too bright and he's easily influenced by Trunks. But I will still say that Goten is spoiled. My reasons, he's had a really sheltered life up until Buu and he's just as lazy and whiny about the fusion training as Trunks is. I'm sorry Dai if that upsets you but that's just the way I feel. But I also think his "sweetness" really makes up for that fault. :wink:

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:15 pm

Despite what'd happen, despite how much training everyone got, they would still need Goku. Why? Buggered if I know, but even if they did all the right things, Goku would still be needed at the end and ultimatley, save everyones ass.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:19 pm

Sad, but true. :wink:

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:58 pm

Dayspring wrote:Speaking of which, does he ever train enough to handle 300g? In the manga the highest we ever see is 150, but kid trunks is in there w/him so it was probably toned down so as to not splat his kid. However, he tells Trunks to amscray since 150g is too much for the brat to handle. Was this because Vegeta was only used to 150g at that point? PLEASE proove me wrong because that would just be sad if it took Goku a week to go up 90g and it took Vegeta over a decade to go up 140g.
If I remember correctly, Vegita is able to train in 400x gravity in the Boo saga. He tells Pui Pui that he mightve stood a chance if Babidi had chosen a planet with 450x gravity.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:34 am

In the manga it's only 300g. The android saga gravity room is never said to be upgraded or not, and what he says to Pui Pui is "Pff! Is that all? [meaning the 10g Pui Pui trained under]"
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

urhash
Not-So-Newbie

Post by urhash » Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:24 am

I'm not sure if it's a gravity machine but in GT Vegeta is using Bulma's device (looks like a stationary cycle) and on the panel it goes up to around 350 before he turns SSJ, causing the machine to explode. He says "Damn it! Is this SSJ4? Kakarroto, I hate you for your unlimited power"

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:37 pm

laserkid wrote:Actually it was a VERY good choice considering they CAN revive everyone with the 'balls.
Which is fair enough, but then why do the characters ALWAYS make a big deal out of people dying? Eh? In Dragon Ball, death means nothing. In fact, it's quite beneficial when you consider the training people get there. The heroes should die more often.
laserkid wrote: Buu then? What happens after he's gone for good now, and another enemy shows up and Goten and Trunks have had NO training whatsoever? No REAL battle experience?
Goku wants them to get battle experience by...fighting a battle. Brilliant. It would make sense if he thought that he'd be there in case things went wrong, but he didn't. If they'd failed, the Earth would have been lost. If he'd beaten Buu, died for good, and then a new villian came along and no-one was able to defeat him...they'd have still lost the Earth, but they'd have gotten a few more years out of it.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:51 am

I wont argue the death point dying IS a benefit in the DB world really - everytime a heroe dies and comes back they come back stronger than ever before.

And yes maybe that would have stretched it a few years but things DID turn ouit for the better they got the experience AND buu was beaten back anyway.
-Laserkid

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:27 pm

You know why Toriyama did this? He wanted to make the manga longer!

Jakez04
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jakez04 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:33 pm

Sun_Wukong
You know why Toriyama did this? He wanted to make the manga longer!

No he did this to get more money.
Da Name is Jakez -ROC Baby!
[url=http://www.geocities.com/dragonfistgt]DragonFistGT![/url]

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:10 pm

And those are obviously completely irreconceivable goals.