Grandpa Gohan name

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

desirecampbell

Grandpa Gohan name

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:47 am

Hey, just wanted a little clarification on the name of "Grandpa Gohan".

We know his name is "Son Gohan", but what is he credited as in the end sequence?

Kanzentai lists this:
あずさ欣平 Azusa Kinpei
孫悟飯 Son Gohan (DBZ: SP1)

阪脩 Saka Osamu
孫悟飯 Son Gohan (DB: 73 – DBZ: 32) [Final]
aka:孫悟飯じいさん Grandpa [Son] Gohan
aka:仮面の男 Masked Man

As I understand it, the credits list him as "Son Gohan" or "Grandpa Gohan" or "Masked man" depending on the episode.
Is that correct? Can I get some more explanation?

----
On a similar note: I'd appreciate it if someone could explain the term じいさん
-edit- Babblefish tells me it means "grandfather", is there some way it's written or spoken by Goku that would render it as a more informal term (ie: "grandpa")? Also, how does Daimao translate it?
-edit-

On a slightly less similar note: I'd love to know what the Budokai Announcer is credited as, as well (Kanzentai lists at least half a dozen "Announcers").

Swift
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swift » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:57 am

On a similar note: I'd appreciate it if someone could explain the term じいさん
-edit- Babblefish tells me it means "grandfather", is there some way it's written or spoken by Goku that would render it as a more informal term (ie: "grandpa")? Also, how does Daimao translate it?
-edit-
Jiisan, or the more polite Ojiisan, is often used to mean "Grandfather", although it can be used to refer to an elderly man who is not actually one's Grandfather as well (think how one might call someone "gramps", even if he's not their Grandfather... except more polite). I believe Goku uses Jicchan (alternative romanization "jitchan"; kana: じっちゃん), which is a pretty informal and kind of cute way of saying it, so Grandpa or Grampa would work.

While Son Gohn-jiisan could be taken to mean "Grandfather[or Grandpa] Son Gohan", it could also be taken to mean something like "Old Man Gohan" as well. I think it's well implied that Goku uses it to mean "Grandpa", however, and not just as a term for an elderly man.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:50 pm

Nice! That helps a lot, thanks. :D

Anyone have a DVD laying around where Goku talks about him? I'm just wondering how Daimao translated Jicchan (whether he used "grandpa" or "granpa", or what exactly).

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:01 pm

desirecampbell wrote:Anyone have a DVD laying around where Goku talks about him? I'm just wondering how Daimao translated Jicchan (whether he used "grandpa" or "granpa", or what exactly).
Clyde Mandelin subbed most of the episodes where Gohan is mentioned (don't have any of my DVDs here, but I think he used "grandpa"), but when Goku used the word to refer to Kame Sennin, Daimao translated it as "Old timer".

As for the original question, my guess would be that the credits started referring to him as 孫悟飯じいさん after Goku's son had been introduced. We can't have two characters with the same name listed in the credits, after all.
And obviously, 仮面の男 was used during the Baba arc before he was unmasked, to prevent spoilers (Sailor Moon should take a que here, with it's credit "Chiba Mamoru/Moonlight Knight" in the early R episodes. At least the ADV subs do this).

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:33 pm

Adamant wrote:Clyde Mandelin subbed most of the episodes where Gohan is mentioned (don't have any of my DVDs here, but I think he used "grandpa"), but when Goku used the word to refer to Kame Sennin, Daimao translated it as "Old timer".

As for the original question, my guess would be that the credits started referring to him as 孫悟飯じいさん after Goku's son had been introduced. We can't have two characters with the same name listed in the credits, after all.
And obviously, 仮面の男 was used during the Baba arc before he was unmasked, to prevent spoilers (Sailor Moon should take a que here, with it's credit "Chiba Mamoru/Moonlight Knight" in the early R episodes. At least the ADV subs do this).
Hmmm, sounds good. I forgot Daimao didn't do Dragon Ball :P

I'd really appreciate it if anyone with Dragon Ball DVDs could check if Mandelin used different translations for Son Gohan and Kame sennin. And, of course, any one who can find out how (if at all) Simmonds translates it would be my hero. (You'd get to wear a cape and everything :))

-edit-
Basically, any information anyone can give me would be awesome. Anything at all.

Mystery Person X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystery Person X » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:44 pm

desirecampbell wrote:(Sailor Moon should take a que here, with it's credit "Chiba Mamoru/Moonlight Knight" in the early R episodes. At least the ADV subs do this).
Is there really any point in trying to hide something so ridiculously obvious? ^^;

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:14 pm

Mystery Person X wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:(Sailor Moon should take a que here, with it's credit "Chiba Mamoru/Moonlight Knight" in the early R episodes. At least the ADV subs do this).
Is there really any point in trying to hide something so ridiculously obvious? ^^;
Also there were the eps when both of them appear, and maybe they were thinking just same actor rather than give separate credits.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:19 pm

Mystery Person X wrote:Is there really any point in trying to hide something so ridiculously obvious? ^^;
Well, they're not "technically" the same person, and the two of them do appear at the same time as well - it could be some other guy who just happens to look very similiar to Mamoru or something.
Super Sonic wrote: Also there were the eps when both of them appear, and maybe they were thinking just same actor rather than give separate credits.
Luna and Queen Beryl have the same voice actor, and they're listed seperately.

Mystery Person X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystery Person X » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:29 pm

Adamant wrote:Well, they're not "technically" the same person, and the two of them do appear at the same time as well - it could be some other guy who just happens to look very similiar to Mamoru or something.
True. TBH I think the surprise is in how Mamoru can possibly be the Moonlight Knight considering the above, not that he was the Moonlight Knight at all.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:21 pm

Moving away from Sailor Moon (though I do love it)...

I just remembered the Character list from the daizenshuu. Anyone with a copy, could you check to see what he's listed as? I assume it's not just "Son Gohan" (as that would be confusing what with the other Son Gohan). Merci beacoup!

-edit-
Quick clarification question: is じいさん, Ojiisan "grandfather" or the less formal (I guess) term Jiisan "grandpa". Or have I mixed myself up again?

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:23 pm

じいさん is "jiisan".

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:37 pm

Swift wrote:I believe Goku uses Jicchan (alternative romanization "jitchan"; kana: じっちゃん), which is a pretty informal and kind of cute way of saying it, so Grandpa or Grampa would work.
Actually, Gokuh calls his granpa じいちゃん (Jiichan), not じっちゃん (Jicchan / Jitchan). I know this because I own volume one of Dragon Ball in Nipponese (Japanese), both the regular tankōbon and the perfect edition.

Swift
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swift » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:59 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:
Swift wrote:I believe Goku uses Jicchan (alternative romanization "jitchan"; kana: じっちゃん), which is a pretty informal and kind of cute way of saying it, so Grandpa or Grampa would work.
Actually, Gokuh calls his granpa じいちゃん (Jiichan), not じっちゃん (Jicchan / Jitchan). I know this because I own volume one of Dragon Ball in Nipponese (Japanese), both the regular tankōbon and the perfect edition.
Ah, thank you for the correction. As I said before, it's an informal, cute way of saying おじいさん (ojiisan). Although, uh, don't you mean Nihongo or Nippongo for Japanese? (Although the latter's less common.)
Quick clarification question: is じいさん, Ojiisan "grandfather" or the less formal (I guess) term Jiisan "grandpa". Or have I mixed myself up again?
Ojiisan is おじいさん, while Jiisan is じいさん. Jiichan is じいちゃん.

I wouldn't say that ojiisan strictly means Grandfather and jiisan strictly means Grandpa on a 1:1 basis, though. Both of them could go either way, depending on the context.
Last edited by Swift on Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:36 pm

Thanks guys - you've all been immensely helpful.

Apparently I haven't mentioned that this is for the Wikipedia article about "grandpa" Son Gohan -because there's already a "Son Gohan" page, we need a different name to use for Goku's adoptive grandfather. That's why I've been trying to get a handle on the proper translation. The WP article would either be named "Grandpa Son Gohan" or "Grandfather Son Gohan". It seems clear now that he should be named "Grandpa":

The credits list him as "jiisan", which is a less formal term for "grandfather", and the similar "jiichan" is officially translated as "grandpa".

Unless the daizenshuu says "old man Gohan" or something, I think I've got this one wrapped up. Thanks everybody everybody :)