Serpentine Road Question

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Synapse
Not-So-Newbie

Serpentine Road Question

Post by Synapse » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:02 pm

Remember how Goku fell off and ended up in hell and the Oni showed him the exit, which ended up leadng him to right back where he started at Enma's office?

When he was wished back to life, Kaio told Goku he had to go all the way back to the start in order to be able to go back to Earth, right?

So why the hell didn't Goku just fall off into hell on purpose, find that exit that the Oni showed him, and get to Enma's office and then home in 1/394873498 of the time? Woulda saved a shit load of trouble for the others.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:05 pm

I believe it would've been the same distance to travel; he would just spend it flying through Hell instead of the Serpentine Road. Over all I think the Serpentine Road would be much faster and safer.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:09 pm

Because that was filler, and thus had no effect on the manga's sequence of events.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:31 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:I believe it would've been the same distance to travel; he would just spend it flying through Hell instead of the Serpentine Road. Over all I think the Serpentine Road would be much faster and safer.
True, but considering how tame filler hell is, I'd gladly take that path over Snake Way's. I guess maybe something like dead tourist crowds may slow Goku down in hell, though.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Pieter
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pieter » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:55 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:I believe it would've been the same distance to travel; he would just spend it flying through Hell instead of the Serpentine Road. Over all I think the Serpentine Road would be much faster and safer.
Probably not, considering the ginyu toksentai fell into the same puddle of blood when they fell from King Kai's.

The only way to debunk this filler inconsistency is by saying Goku would be unsure if the passage was still there, and I don't think he would want to risk being stuck there forever.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:03 pm

We already went over this a few days ago. :lol:
http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=5172

This is why people generally dislike filler. :D

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:12 am

I've got an even better question, how the hell does Gokuh know which direction to run in after he falls asleep on the snake road? There's no way he'd remember which direction he fell asleep in or if he tossed and turned some so how? For a while I thought maybe one can tell by the direction of the spines on the snake's back but upon further inspection I found they were a uniform zigzag. Maybe the reason it took him so long to get to King Kai's is he was unknowingly running back and forth for days on end.... Seriously, I almost lost some sleep over this one.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:13 am

Mr. Announcer wrote:I've got an even better question, how the hell does Gokuh know which direction to run in after he falls asleep on the snake road? There's no way he'd remember which direction he fell asleep in or if he tossed and turned some so how? For a while I thought maybe one can tell by the direction of the spines on the snake's back but upon further inspection I found they were a uniform zigzag. Maybe the reason it took him so long to get to King Kai's is he was unknowingly running back and forth for days on end.... Seriously, I almost lost some sleep over this one.
I don't think Goku's ever shown sleeping after he's dead... He might not need to, kind of like he doesn't "need" to eat. Of course, my reference material is memory and the manga, so if there's conflicting filler out there, I might not remember it... (Maybe Goku took a nap when he fell into hell...)

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:00 pm

Maybe there were things in the distance that told him which direction he'd gone?
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:18 pm

In the manga, there is a panel where Goku is asleep around the time Gohan went Oozaru. I have to admit it would be an easy way to throw some filler if they had Goku going backwards. Those filler scenes were really "wacky" and its funny because you see all of this stuff going on and you know that some guy is going to lose his arm a few episodes down the line. Priceless.
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Re: Serpentine Road Question

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:26 pm

Synapse wrote:So why the hell didn't Goku just fall off into hell on purpose, find that exit that the Oni showed him, and get to Enma's office and then home in 1/394873498 of the time? Woulda saved a shit load of trouble for the others.
Hell is probably a confusing spatial distortion that would trick you into believing you'd want to be there, getting Goku to believe dropping down is the best course of action. And then he'd be stuck in a featureless maze a thousand times longer than Snake Way for decades while the Saiyans slowly rape his homeworld.

Or maybe I need to stop reading House of Leaves.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:53 am

I thought about that too, and came to the conclusion that the spines on the sides must angle back or something that would tell him direction. Otherwise, he'd have to take his boot off or something and place it toe first in the direction he needed to go when he woke up. Only thing I can think of. Funny you mention that, because I was asking myself the same question just a few days ago.

wannywan
Beyond Newbie

Post by wannywan » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:37 pm

Maybe Goku could sense Kaio-sama at one end and Enma-daio at the other end?

Or would the distance from them come into play?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSPpkxkjpPg]Picto-hame-ha![/url]