Did Roshi win a Budokai?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Did Roshi win a Budokai?

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:09 am

Hey all, I forget about this & am too lazt to go back & find if it's true. Did Roshi win a Budokai before the 21'st? If so, when is it stated?
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:27 am

He won once before Goku fought him, I think.
But, I do know he won against Goku in the 21st(?) Budokai.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:31 am

Wouldn't be surprised if he did. Though it would probably be one of the early ones, especially given before the 22nd, they took place every 5 years.

gohanku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by gohanku » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:28 am

I think he did, since he is a pretty famous martial artist. Maybe he won the 3rd or 4th one.
[quote="SSj Kaboom talking about Future Gohan in BT3"]I feel sorry for Future Gohan.

Everyone's like, "What?! What are you doing with [b][i]two[/i][/b] arms?! You tear that off right now, mister!"

Poor guy.[/quote]
Lol'ed.

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:49 am

Judging by the fact that the audience all knew him, gives a pretty ominous clue. So I'd say yes.
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:08 am

Goku tells Oolong, Roshi won "The World Martial Arts Tournament" in movie 2. I don't know if you would consider that canon though.

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:21 am

Roshi kills bunnies.

I mean the Boss Rabbit that Goku put on the moon.

Dead. After Roshi blew it up during the tournament!

:cry:
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:14 pm

Roshi was a pretty legendary martial artist, so the question isn't if he won before, but how many times? It's been stated that the competition back then was nothing compared to what it was like with Goku around, and Roshi's really old. He could have won a dozen times over, for all we know.
KillerCory wrote:Dead. After Roshi blew it up during the tournament!
He probably wasn't able to hold his breath until that point anyway. :)

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:43 pm

Basically, it's strongly implied Roshi won at least one Budokai before beginning his disguise as Jackie Chun. Other than that, it's referenced King Chappu won the 20th Budokai and Akkuman/Spike the Devil Man won at least two Budokais before that. So that covers...4 out of the first 20 events.
14 years later

tainted saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by tainted saiyan » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:57 am

Did they ever say Akkuman won a budokai? I thought that a "Tournament" was all that was said.
Chivalry

Grandmaster J
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Grandmaster J » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:10 pm

Muten Roshi was known as the greatest martial artists in the world even before he met Goku. So, isn't it safe to say that, in fact, he has won a lot of the past tournaments? I mean, it's just common sense. But this is just an assumption here, since there really is no visual evidence of this in the series.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:33 pm

tainted saiyan wrote:Did they ever say Akkuman won a budokai?
Yes, they did.

tainted saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by tainted saiyan » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:56 pm

Imagine, before Goku, Roshi could have basically decimated anyone on earth who challenged him(except maybe Gohan Sr.). Must have been a boring tournament.
Chivalry

Grandmaster J
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Grandmaster J » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:13 am

tainted saiyan wrote:Imagine, before Goku, Roshi could have basically decimated anyone on earth who challenged him(except maybe Gohan Sr.). Must have been a boring tournament.
True. But not if the Crane hermit participated. God, that would be a fucking awesome battle to watch. Wouldn't it? Hell, even Goku's grandfather Gohan vs Tao Pai Pai would've been something. I really wish Toriyama would've tapped into the past like that, and showed us the history of the rivalry between the two Masters.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:29 am

Grandmaster J wrote:True. But not if the Crane hermit participated. God, that would be a fucking awesome battle to watch. Wouldn't it? Hell, even Goku's grandfather Gohan vs Tao Pai Pai would've been something. I really wish Toriyama would've tapped into the past like that, and showed us the history of the rivalry between the two Masters.
Beware, full-on origin details of Roshi based off the anime.

We did get an episode in the anime where Goku traveled back in time to learn from Mutaito, apparently a lesson about tapping into life energy. In the anime, Roshi (18 years old) first meets Goku during this trip and it's revealed that he and Crane Hermit did already have a harsh rivalry even before Piccolo Daimao started his terror, though after Crane pulled a prank that almost got Fanfan (Ranfan's ancestor) killed, Crane seemed to learn the error of his ways and developed a bond with Roshi as the two would end up caring for an animal named Inoshikachu, as well as shaving their heads like the rest of the dojo. Roshi did seem to have some regret for what Crane became, pretty much in itself implying they were best friends.

It's also shown in flashbacks that they apparently grew both as friends and individuals who highly respected each other, basically implied as they're shown working together against Daimao's minions and nursing Mutaito back to health after he's defeated. It seems Mutaito's walking off to train for the Mafuba sent the wrong message to Crane, as that was the final push for his already turmoil spirit, pushing him down a more "easy" path toward darkness while Roshi continued to wait for Mutaito's return. After Mutaito's death, Roshi would grow his hair back out and travel to the land of Karin where it took him three years to attain the "Sacred Water". Upon departure, he received the Nyoi-bo and Kinto 'Un from Karin and spent 50 years developing the Kamehame-Ha technique, possibly to defend the planet from any major future threats as he was at that point the strongest person on the planet.

Eventually, he would settle down as a lowly true Turtle Hermit and live in seclusion on his privately owned island, though not without second class luxury and plenty of dirty magazines. Apparently he would one day come across Grandpa Gohan, whom Roshi proceeded to train for at least 50 years, as that's how long it'd have to take Gohan to learn the Kamehame-Ha attack. During this, he would come across a young Ox King, who would learn with Gohan under Roshi like the two were brothers.

Quite possibly at some point, Roshi allowed the two to enter a Tenkaichi Budokai in which he also participated to test their skills (likely not disguising himself as Jackie Chun). This wouldn't be either of the two tournaments Akkuman won (as Roshi only heard of him through his reputation before Baba's tournament) and the 20th Budokai which King Chappu won. Maybe in the final round, Roshi had to resort to use the electric last resort attack against Gohan in order to defeat him, confirming to Gohan that his training was complete if he had to force the old master to go all-out.

Gohan and Ox's training under Roshi complete, he sent them off to their lives continuing to train on their own, bestowing Gohan with the Nyoi-bo. Ox would go on to marry his intended queen while Gohan lived a quiet Hermit style life in Mount Paozue, occasionally venturing out to visit Roshi and the Ox King (he mentions he'd visited Ox once when Chichi was a baby, whilst he and Roshi discussed Goku's Oozaru transformation during his day back to life, something that's confirmed in the early Raditz episodes by Roshi's story, that Gohan told Roshi of Goku's transforming ability at some point before he died). All this time, Roshi lived a humble, growing perverted life on his island as his purity with the Kinto 'Un slipped and his main turtle companion got lost. Eventually, his turtle would come back, bringing him to main land to introduce him to the grandson of Son Gohan; Son Goku.

Man, some could wonder if all that could be remade into its own anime. >_>
14 years later