Is there, or is there not an OVA? (An effort toward closure)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Is there, or is there not an OVA? (An effort toward closure)

Post by Acid_Reign » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:17 pm

I apologize if some people feel this has been beaten to death, but in light of what I feel to be continuing misconception in the DBZ fan community, I feel that something has to be said about it.

My argument is that the footage is an OVA, and can be summed up thusly:
  • The 1993 VHS release featured new animation. Although it was based on an NES game telling the same story, the animation itself was originally released on video.
  • The Playdia game came out in 1994, a year after the VHS release.
  • Toei recognizes it on their official website, under their list of OVAs in the 1990s (link: http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/ov1990.html)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In response to what others were saying off-topic in the previous thread:
Xyex wrote:
Acid_Reign wrote:What canyons have I jumped, exactly? FMVs first appeared on CD formats, and to my knowledge something such as "Plan" could not have be properly formatted to run on an NES cartridge without experiencing huge lacks that probably would have rendered it unwatchable by most, if not everybody.
Uhhh.... what? Ok, obviously you're missing a few points. The footage was never used on the NES, it was used on the Playdia, a CD base system. Thus your argument is entirely void.
I wasn't implying that it was used on the NES; my entire point was that it was not. What you quoted was a hypothetical demonstrating how absurd it was to think that way. As Vegetto stated, please read next time.
Actually, the simple fact is, no, there wasn't/isn't an OVA. I'll explain. An OVA is a direct to video movie.
Nowhere in the acronymn Original Video Animation is there a requirement for the video to be a movie. And even so, if you look into what "movie" really means, you'll see that "Plan" qualifies as such.

Take the American Heritage Dictionary's definition:
mov·ie (mōō'vē) n.
  1. A sequence of photographs projected onto a screen with sufficient rapidity as to create the illusion of motion and continuity.
  2. A connected cinematic narrative represented in this form.
How strict of an interpretation are we going for here?
nathantheguitarist wrote:It's not like it was made for an exact home release, and I think the term OVA is a bit um... inaccurate. :?
Is there a better term out there? Whatever it is, it certainly isn't "Playdia footage," which seems to be the consensus among fans here.
Last edited by Acid_Reign on Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PythonMonty504
Not-So-Newbie

Post by PythonMonty504 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:26 pm

Sounds like an OVA to me.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:51 pm

Wow! Anyway I always considered it as an OVA no matter what anyone said. :P

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:01 pm

My whole deal has always been that its history is so bizarre, that simply calling it an "OVA" is a bit misleading.

Call it whatever the bloody fuck you want.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:28 pm

VegettoEX wrote:My whole deal has always been that its history is so bizarre, that simply calling it an "OVA" is a bit misleading.

Bizarre though it may be, I don't think that negates the fact that it is indeed an OVA. I'm not trying to be pedantic or anything, but I think everyone appreciates accuracy, no?

Though we can all call it whatever the bloody fuck we want, that doesn't necessarily mean we'll be right in saying so. I think it is confusing, not only to newcomers, but also long-time fans of the series to see an article headed, "There is no OVA," which is all most people need to see before propagating misinformation.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:30 pm

I don't think it counts as an OVA. While it was released on VHS, the footage wasn't part of an actual movie. It was a fancy looking strategy guide on video, and was marketed as such. Toei considers it an OVA, but only because there's no other way to really market this animation.

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:40 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:I don't think it counts as an OVA. While it was released on VHS, the footage wasn't part of an actual movie. It was a fancy looking strategy guide on video, and was marketed as such. Toei considers it an OVA, but only because there's no other way to really market this animation.
Again, I have to ask: what part of "OVA" makes the title exclusive to movies? It isn't Original Video Movie.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:57 pm

Ah, that's true. I guess it really does qualify as OVA since it is original animation, even if the story was derived from a video game. But I'll still argue that it's not a movie, no more so than a paper back strategy guide is a novel.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:15 pm

Officially and technically speaking, Acid's proven that this is an "OVA". Rather Mike gives his points any notice or not in the official DaizEX article is entirely up to him. It's his site to do what he wants with whichever section he chooses.
14 years later

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:50 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:Officially and technically speaking, Acid's proven that this is an "OVA". Rather Mike gives his points any notice or not in the official DaizEX article is entirely up to him. It's his site to do what he wants with whichever section he chooses.
Naturally I wouldn't expect any more than this; I'm not pompous enough to tell someone else how to run their own site, but even still, it would behoove Daizex to take them into consideration. I know this site has always prided itself in providing factual information, and given DBZ's past (and even present, with the new "widescreen has more picture" arguments) it'd be better to dispel the rumors once and for all. It's forgivable that a mistake was made, but simply admitting it is a much more honorable solution than the current revision. I reckon an equally-as-catchy but more straightforward title could serve the article (and the fan community) their due justice.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:19 am

I don't see any "mistakes"... the article can be called whatever it wants to be called.

It's like reading a video game review, and only looking at the numerical final score. There's a reason it gets that score, and you have to read the full text to see what the back-story is. It's not my fault if people don't want to read.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:30 am

VegettoEX wrote:It's like reading a video game review, and only looking at the numerical final score. There's a reason it gets that score, and you have to read the full text to see what the back-story is. It's not my fault if people don't want to read.
Still, the article contradicts itself:
There is no DBZ OVA. (Well... sorta.)
Call it what you may, but it's not an OVA... it's video game footage.
how did the footage from this game end up being called an OVA? Well, in the technical sense, it probably is.
Whether or not to call it an "OVA" is truly up to you; it's received such strange releases with an even more bizarre history behind them all, it's impossible to truly classify it as anything.
Well, if it is an OVA, in the technical sense...?
We use the title "There is no OVA!" mostly as an attraction to lure you all into reading its history, but we do also think of it as a true statement!
Me am confused.

I realize that most of these contradictions are probably due to the fact that the article has been revised (some parts are older than others, I believe?), but as it is right now, I think it's kinda confusing.

And there's that:
It doesn't seem to be referred to as an OVA by Toei, themselves
... which, as we've seen, isn't true.

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:47 pm

VegettoEX wrote:My whole deal has always been that its history is so bizarre, that simply calling it an "OVA" is a bit misleading.

Eh... not to be rude or anything (sorry if it comes out that way D: ), but I think his point in being accurate about whether or not the footage is from an OVA is kinda like your point in being accurate with the names. If we can call stuff like this whatever we want, what's to stop us from referring to characters like Mr. Satan by an incorrect but still often-used alternative like "Hercule"? Sorry if putting that name in offends you... :(

Also, on the topic of OVAs being direct-to-video movies, that's not necessarily correct. There are several OVA/OAV (I believe these are the same, please correct me if I'm wrong) series that have aired on television. Take, for instance, several of the Tenchi series (Tenchi Universe and Tenchi in Tokyo, anyone?). OVAs can take whatever format they're published in; they're not confined to just video-only releases and movies.

Hoping I don't get banned or flamed (too much >_>) because of my first point here... @__@;;
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:00 pm

KinoFourpaws wrote:on the topic of OVAs being direct-to-video movies, that's not necessarily correct. There are several OVA/OAV (I believe these are the same, please correct me if I'm wrong)
They're the same, indeed.
series that have aired on television. Take, for instance, several of the Tenchi series (Tenchi Universe and Tenchi in Tokyo, anyone?).
Those were TV series, not OVAs.

But yes, some OVAs are aired on television eventually. Still, they were produced/released for the video market in the first place, and that's why they're OVAs.
(more recently, some OVAs were first aired on TV, and then released on DVDs ("Top o Nerae 2!", for example)... I realize that's a bit weird, but since they were produced/intended for the video market, they're still OVAs, technically)

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:39 pm

KinoFourpaws wrote:Hoping I don't get banned or flamed (too much >_>) because of my first point here... @__@;;
While this forum is entirely Mike's domain, I seriously doubt he'd ban you simply for stating reasonable opinions in a thread based on said topic. It's not like you're flaming the living hell out of someone or forcing your views down anyone else's throat in the process. Hell, if he bans you for this, you have my word I quit posting here. Image
14 years later

Magica
Regular

Post by Magica » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:44 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:
KinoFourpaws wrote:Hoping I don't get banned or flamed (too much >_>) because of my first point here... @__@;;
While this forum is entirely Mike's domain, I seriously doubt he'd ban you simply for stating reasonable opinions in a thread based on said topic. It's not like you're flaming the living hell out of someone or forcing your views down anyone else's throat in the process. Hell, if he bans you for this, you have my word I quit posting here. Image
Murr? What about me? <____<

As for this whole OVA/NotOVA debate... It really doesn't matter to me what it is. Id just rather see it being dubbed/subbed. Is it on the Dragonboxes at all?

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:50 pm

Magica wrote:Murr? What about me? <____<
I guess I'd take ya with me. o.o
14 years later

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:12 pm

Magica wrote:As for this whole OVA/NotOVA debate... It really doesn't matter to me what it is. Id just rather see it being dubbed/subbed. Is it on the Dragonboxes at all?
It is on the Dragon Boxes. I think it's in the second DBZ box... not sure though since I don't actually own those. But from what I've read about the boxes, it is on there and it is not remastered/touched up. I'm sure it still looks nice though. :)

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:08 pm

Its the Japanese version of Dragon's Lair. That's been released on every format imaginable.

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:38 pm

I have a request:

Please close this topic.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.