Akira Toriyama's view on "DragonBall GT"

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: Now in Buenos Aires Argentina

Akira Toriyama's view on "DragonBall GT"

Post by Aoi » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:04 pm

MODERATOR ABUSE:

Kanzenshuu's own translation of this comment can be found over in our "Translations" section-

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... ama-intro/

What you see below is a community member's (old) translation followed by (also old) conversations about said translation. Please understand.


------------------------------------------------------


After reading the translation it surprised me much because I had not remembered Akira Toriyama saying this (I put it under). But maybe the most important excuse non Dragon ball GT fans had of making it "official" was always that they wanted to hear it from his own mouth.

But reading this again:

"If you are able, along with me, to enjoy watching the original Dragon Ball's grand side-story Dragon Ball GT, you will be pleased.

鳥山明
Akira Toriyama"

its a perfect way to look at Dragon ball GT. For people who dont want it to be the real end to the dragon ball story, it is just a "side story" and for those who love it it can be part of the grand final story. Incredible that I had forgot about this.
----

TRANSLATION
-

ドラゴンボールDVD BOXを買っていただいたみなさん、ほんとうにありがとうございます。
I am truly thankful to all of you who bought this Dragon Ball GT DVD Box.

連載していた ドラゴンボールが無事終了し、本来なまけもののボクは やっと しめきり地獄から解放されめちゃめちゃ 喜んでいました。
Having quietly ended Dragon Ball in serialization, I, who am lazy by nature, was happy to finally be liberated from Deadline Hell.

テレビアニメの方はもうすこし続けたいとのことでしたが、ボクはもうこれ以上は…。というわけでドラゴンボールのアニメはストーリーも含め、すっかりアニメスタッフの方々におまかせすることになったのです。
The people from the TV anime were wanting to continue just a little further, but since I didn't want to do any more than I already had, I ended up leaving everything, including the story, up to the people on the anime staff.

それが『ドラゴンボールGT』です。
That is "Dragon Ball GT".

GTというのはクルマ用語で「グランツーリスモ」つまり速くて高性能なクルマってことですが、この場合は宇宙を駆けまわるっていう設定でしたので「グランドツーリング」壮大な旅という意味を込んでGTとしました。
"GT" is an automotive term, "gran turismo" -- in other words, a fast, powerful car. But in this case, since the plan was to be running all around the universe, I made it GT, carrying the meaning of a great journey, "grand touring."

GTでボクがやったことといえば このタイトルと最初の主要メンバー、一部のメカデザインと数枚のイメージカットだけですが、ずっとドラゴンボールを続けていただいてきた優秀なスタッフのみなさんなので 安心して おまかせすることができたのです。
In GT, the only contributions that I made were the title, the initial main character designs, some of the mecha designs, and a number of image cuts. But thanks to the excellent staff that I was having keep continuing Dragon Ball, I was able to relax and leave it to them.

とくに、アニメーターの中鶴くんは すごい腕前で、ボクの絵のクセなんかをあっというまに会得してしまい、ときどき自分でも このキャラデザインを描いたのは、ボクか?中鶴くんか? などとわからなくなることがあったりするぐらいです。
In particular, the animator Nakatsuru-kun is so skilled, and has such understanding of the peculiarities of my drawings, that there have been times that even I have been like, "Did I draw this character design, or did Nakatsuru-kun?," not being able to tell the difference.

たとえば このGTに登場する『スーパーサイヤ人4』というのは中鶴くんのデザインで、上に描いた絵は、ボクがそれを見て描いた 似顔絵なんです。うまく描いたでしょうか?
For example, "Super Saiyan 4," which appears in GT, was Nakatsuru-kun's design. The image I drew above is the likeness I made after looking at it. Did I do a good job?

原作 ドラゴンボールの 壮大なサイドストーリーであるドラゴンボールGTを ボクといっしょに楽しく観ていただければ 幸いです。
If you are able, along with me, to enjoy watching the original Dragon Ball's grand side-story Dragon Ball GT, you will be pleased.

鳥山明
Akira Toriyama
-------------

Before this the only thing we knew about Akira and GT was that he drew a little and got paid but we never heard him say : "this is part of the story". I think this can clear many problems between fans who still fight about this.

User avatar
Lavender Saiyan
Regular
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:03 am
Location: New Jersey

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:14 pm

I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

User avatar
Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: Now in Buenos Aires Argentina

Post by Aoi » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:18 pm

that I have been reading for many months (on this board and articles on wikipedia type of site) how non- Dragon ball GT fans (here and in Japan) always said that "because Akira Toriyama didnt write it or ever said that it was part of the story, then it is not official or "canon".

But reading this proves that he did leave the story to be continued and that he sees it as a real part of dragon ball. I used to hate GT also because I always thought that in reality Akira would not have anything to do with this and that is why he left early.
Last edited by Aoi on Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soluzar
Newbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:56 am

Post by Soluzar » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:22 pm

So it's a side-story, or something that isn't part of the main story. That's fine by me. It's still not a part of the manga, or even a part of the main anime story. It's got about the same status as a movie, to judge from what he said in the text you've provided.
Kore wa "signature" ja nai.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here
Posts: 2171
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:09 pm

Post by Olivier Hague » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:33 pm

Aoi wrote:reading this proves that he did leave the story to be continued and that he sees it as a real part of dragon ball.
Er... Well, that's not really what he's saying. ^^;

Soluzar
Newbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:56 am

Post by Soluzar » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:42 pm

Aoi wrote:I used to hate GT also because I always thought that in reality Akira would not have anything to do with this and that is why he left early.
How are you on a first name basis with Mr. Akira Toriyama?

In any case, he's saying that he approved the creation of it, but that the story is nothing to do with him, which means that whatever else you can say, Dragon Ball GT is irrelevant to the manga version. I always view the anime as being just an adaption of the manga version, which is the real Dragon Ball. That's why anything that happens in the filler is irrelevant, if sometimes fun. Dragon Ball GT, not being based on the manga is one long filler.
Kore wa "signature" ja nai.

User avatar
Conan the SSJ
I Live Here
Posts: 2810
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:40 am
Location: Ohio

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:01 pm

Soluzar wrote:So it's a side-story, or something that isn't part of the main story. That's fine by me. It's still not a part of the manga, or even a part of the main anime story. It's got about the same status as a movie, to judge from what he said in the text you've provided.
About the manga, I agree with ya' there. However, it not being part of the main anime story is entirely open to interpretation; no-one is wrong. Toriyama's clearly shown he supports the series and also contributed help in his own way, GT's done by the exact same animation studio and voice cast, and it's clearly intended by Toei to be a continuation of the previous anime series. Yes, there are inconsistencies and goofs (most of which could be explained with an open mind and certain point of view of the anime), but it's obvious to anyone who sits down and watches the entire series that many references/flashbacks/tie-ins are made with the original DB and DBZ anime. Hell, episode 55 in its entirety features Vegeta remembering his lengthy history with "Kakarrot" from their first battle all the way to Vegeta admitting Kakarrot is "number 1" in the battle with Buu. Same with the last episode, as Goku strolls down the aisle outside the Budokai arena, we're shown every major event in all three series prior to when the Dragonballs began to crack, culminating in a "circle is now complete" moment as Goku leaves on Kinto 'Un. I think it's pretty clear Toei meant for GT to be a continuation and culmination of the anime as a whole.

Me, I view GT as "canon" with the anime. Nothing anyone can say is going to change my mind. Until Akira Toriyama and/or Toei actually state GT not being "official" with the anime, this is what I'm sticking to.
14 years later

User avatar
Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: Now in Buenos Aires Argentina

Post by Aoi » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:11 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:
Soluzar wrote:So it's a side-story, or something that isn't part of the main story. That's fine by me. It's still not a part of the manga, or even a part of the main anime story. It's got about the same status as a movie, to judge from what he said in the text you've provided.
About the manga, I agree with ya' there. However, it not being part of the main anime story is entirely open to interpretation; no-one is wrong. Toriyama's clearly shown he supports the series and also contributed help in his own way, GT's done by the exact same animation studio and voice cast, and it's clearly intended by Toei to be a continuation of the previous anime series. Yes, there are inconsistencies and goofs (most of which could be explained with an open mind and certain point of view of the anime), but it's obvious to anyone who sits down and watches the entire series that many references/flashbacks/tie-ins are made with the original DB and DBZ anime. Hell, episode 55 in its entirety features Vegeta remembering his lengthy history with "Kakarrot" from their first battle all the way to Vegeta admitting Kakarrot is "number 1" in the battle with Buu. Same with the last episode, as Goku strolls down the aisle outside the Budokai arena, we're shown every major event in all three series prior to when the Dragonballs began to crack, culminating in a "circle is now complete" moment as Goku leaves on Kinto 'Un. I think it's pretty clear Toei meant for GT to be a continuation and culmination of the anime as a whole.

Me, I view GT as "canon" with the anime. Nothing anyone can say is going to change my mind. Until Akira Toriyama and/or Toei actually state GT not being "official" with the anime, this is what I'm sticking to.
I agree with you 100%. And what I meant to put (sorry I think my english didnt make it clear enough) was that not only does it never say that "GT is not part of the anime story" but Akira actually says here that it is.. That is why I think what he wrote is important in that he finally put the argument to rest.

User avatar
Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: Now in Buenos Aires Argentina

Post by Aoi » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:24 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:
Aoi wrote:reading this proves that he did leave the story to be continued and that he sees it as a real part of dragon ball.
Er... Well, that's not really what he's saying. ^^;
well the universe i mean, not his dragon ball because he didnt write it.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family
Posts: 3145
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:39 am

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:59 pm

How was "side-story" literally said in the Japanese, "Gaiden"?

-Corey

User avatar
Pieter
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 297
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Holland

Post by Pieter » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:49 pm

Soluzar wrote:So it's a side-story, or something that isn't part of the main story. That's fine by me. It's still not a part of the manga, or even a part of the main anime story. It's got about the same status as a movie, to judge from what he said in the text you've provided.
As a movie? The closest GT would get to something from Dbz would be the specials.
MajinVejitaXV wrote:How was "side-story" literally said in the Japanese, "Gaiden"?

-Corey
I'm curious as well.

User avatar
Lavender Saiyan
Regular
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:03 am
Location: New Jersey

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:53 pm

Soluzar wrote:
Aoi wrote:I used to hate GT also because I always thought that in reality Akira would not have anything to do with this and that is why he left early.
How are you on a first name basis with Mr. Akira Toriyama?

In any case, he's saying that he approved the creation of it, but that the story is nothing to do with him, which means that whatever else you can say, Dragon Ball GT is irrelevant to the manga version. I always view the anime as being just an adaption of the manga version, which is the real Dragon Ball. That's why anything that happens in the filler is irrelevant, if sometimes fun. Dragon Ball GT, not being based on the manga is one long filler.
I think that's the best way to view it. It contradicts too many things to be canon. Maybe people would view it better if it didn't contradict stuff. But the original main plot starts to contradict things as it is. Only Toriyama himself can contradict things, no one else. :P
Me, I view GT as "canon" with the anime. Nothing anyone can say is going to change my mind. Until Akira Toriyama and/or Toei actually state GT not being "official" with the anime, this is what I'm sticking to.
Hmmmm, never thought of it that way.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

User avatar
MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 779
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 3:21 pm

Post by MisterFlashdude » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:05 pm

When did GT being a part of the anime storyline become contested? Mr.Toriyama also writes at the beginning of the last volume 'I ended it like it might not really be ending, like it could continue' (not an exact quote).
Everyone wanted him to continue, he didn't want to continue.

It's not considered 'canon' because to most people, that story ends with the manga and anything not printed in the manga is filler. But this wouldn't really be filler, would it? After all, filler exists to waste time between actual storylines... so, because the actual storyline ended, this was just disappointing. Mr.Toriyama endorsing it doesn't really change any of that.

I've seen it, of course... and I just didn't care for it. Even if Mr.Toriyama had drawn it himself, I'd still dislike it. To me, it's as much a part of the storyline as Garlic Jr. Some people like to think it all goes together, and that's their choice.

Soluzar
Newbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:56 am

Post by Soluzar » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:41 pm

MisterFlashdude wrote:When did GT being a part of the anime storyline become contested?
For the same reason that the movies aren't a real part of the anime storyline. They don't fit into continuity properly, and they aren't based on Toriyama's work. I'm just giving my reasoning, I've got no axe to grind with anyone else's view of GT.
Kore wa "signature" ja nai.

User avatar
Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1056
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:59 am
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Contact:

Post by Acid_Reign » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:14 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:How was "side-story" literally said in the Japanese, "Gaiden"?

-Corey
Nope, it's "サイドストーリー" (saido sutōrī).

Why do you ask?

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family
Posts: 3145
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:39 am

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:15 pm

Acid_Reign wrote:Nope, it's "サイドストーリー" (saido sutōrī).

Why do you ask?
Simply because stories which are defined as "Gaiden" typically take place outside of the normal continuity. Still, the fact that Toriyama termed it a "side story" and not an outright continuation leads me to believe he thinks of it as...well, a different animal from the DragonBall and DragonBall Z animes.

-Corey

User avatar
Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: Now in Buenos Aires Argentina

Post by Aoi » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:23 pm

I understand the questions and the reason is that I have been going to a few other dragon ball sites (but in honest opinon, daizex is the best ever made, even compared to some big Japanese sites a few years ago) and I kept finding things like : "non canon" as if it was official. (for example www.dbzlegacy.com)

Also on Wikia.org (the site given on this message board), reading things like this is a little frustrating:

"Dragon Ball GT is the sequel to Dragon Ball Z, whose material is produced by only by TOEI Animation. The Dragon Ball GT series is the shortest of the Dragon Ball series, being only 64 episodes; as opposed to it's predecessor Dragon Ball Z which consisted of 292 episodes.

[edit]The Debate over Canon
This series was never written by Akira Toriyama or even originally produced as manga like its predecessors Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, so numerous fans consider it non-canon. Inconsistencies in Dragon Ball GT when comparing it to Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z are created by Toei, who simply used GT as a way to re-establish Goku's title as savior of the Universe. Goku by the end of Dragon Ball Z was estimated to be in his mid fifties and he was about to train a predecessor. Many fans agree that Dragon Ball GT was a pointless series because Goku had already become the Universe's greatest defender at the end of Dragon Ball Z. "

And in many of the sites I always saw arguments about how "Akira never said anything about him considering it part of the dragon ball universe". So that is why i put his quote here.
Last edited by Aoi on Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1056
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:59 am
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Contact:

Post by Acid_Reign » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:24 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Simply because stories which are defined as "Gaiden" typically take place outside of the normal continuity. Still, the fact that Toriyama termed it a "side story" and not an outright continuation leads me to believe he thinks of it as...well, a different animal from the DragonBall and DragonBall Z animes.

-Corey
That is interesting (and quite frankly what I'd like to believe, not that it matters either way for me) but it's a bit hard to determine his exact opinion from an insert that came with the GT boxed set. I can't imagine the fans shelling out for it would be very happy if Toriyama had flat-out dissed it. :P

User avatar
nathantheguitarist
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1515
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:37 am
Contact:

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:34 pm

*Too lazy to read all of the other posts, save for the top one of course*

That's from Akira Toriyama? What is it from, the Perfect Files, or the GT DragonBook?

Well, either way, thanks for the translation, that was neat! :D
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

User avatar
Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: Now in Buenos Aires Argentina

Post by Aoi » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:58 pm

Oh I didnt do it, It was on another post but was well translated so put it here =)

Locked