Question about Cell stealing his time machine.

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:37 pm

@desirecampbell: Xyex and I both think that a new timeline is only created when you travel to a point in history that has already happened. Because if it hasn't already happened, there is no old timeline to split from. It's difficult to explain, but it might be better understood with this:

1- Trunks travels back first time and creates the second timeline.
2- Trunks returns to his future and creates another timeline (by your theory)
This would split the future into one where Trunks returns and one where he doesn't.

There are now three timelines:
1: the original future
2: the altered past
3: the future where Trunks doesn't return

After Trunks returns, we have three timelines, but only two Trunkses. Where did the third Trunks go?
I believe that there should always be as much Trunkses as timelines. IF timelines are like separate dimensions, the third Trunks couldn't just vanish - could he?

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:52 pm

Terra-jin wrote:After Trunks returns, we have three timelines, but only two Trunkses. Where did the third Trunks go?
I believe that there should always be as much Trunkses as timelines. IF timelines are like separate dimensions, the third Trunks couldn't just vanish - could he?
We have the Trunks from timeline one (who timejumps), we have the Trunks from timeline two (who was born after the first Trunks showed up), and that's it. Why woud there be another Trunks? The first timeline (where Trunks came from originally) lost its Trunks when he timejumped to the past. Why would he ever return? If Trunks showed up in that timelne (that is, without creating a new one) it would mean that he's altering that timeline - which is impossible. You can't change history, you can only create new timelines.

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:01 pm

Well, in this respect we differ in our views. Trunks doesn't change anything when he returns, because this point in time hasn't happened yet. There is no 'old timeline' to split from. It's really hard to understand and even harder to explain... so I'm going to accept any opposing views until I can fully explain it all.

It might also be that I just like the idea of four timelines better than ten, but at least we agree on at least these four timelines.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:01 pm

caejones wrote:The only pseudo problem I can see in that is... why did Trunks appear in the CEll-created timeline at all? why didn't Cell create a timeline that was the same as the one he came from up to his appearance there? I mean, the four timelines we have make sense ... but why isn't there a "cell but no Trunks" timeline?
Ah, but technically speaking, Trunks didn't appear in the Cell created time-line. Cell appeared in the Trunks created time-line causing it to divide. There isn't a 'Cell only' time-line because Trunks had already gone into the past.
Okay, let's see if I understand your theory: Trunks goes back in time and creates a new timeline. Then he goes home, back in time again, and then back home - without creating new timelines. He flits between timeline one and two, but only creates a new timeline the first time (which is utterly ridiculous, but that's not the biggest problem).
There's nothing 'ridiculous' about it. There's absolutely no reason to create another new time-line upon returning to the past. Returning to the past is the same as returning to your own time because as far as the time-line is concerned it is your own time. But then again, you seem to think even going home causes a split, which is patently impossible, so....
Then he's killed by Cell who then goes back in time creating a third timeline (again, why does this jump create a timeline, but not the last three?)
Because Cell isn't 'returning' to the past. He's going back for the first time, entering a time-line that doesn't accept his presence. Seriously, how frigging hard is this to grasp? I've dumbed the explanations down to a 3rd grade level already. :?
Now, here's where it gets really confusing. Apparently a Future Trunks appears in this timeline too. Where does he come from? If he's native to this timeline, then Cell must have been "lazy" here too (and, as well, this would mean he's changing his own timeline, which is impossible). If not, the only other option is timeline one - which is impossible.
This Trunks is the same Trunks as the one from the second time-line. Cell appeared before him causing the time-line to diverge but, until he starts interacting with things, the time-line still unfolds basicly the same way. And even if he'd started interacting from the day he'd first appeared his presence cannot change the fact that Trunks appears. Nothing he does in the past can alter the future so Trunks will appear.
After that That Trunks goes back to his home timeline (wherever that is), then back to the timeline three again (all without creating new timelines, I might add) and then goes back to timeline one (apparently that's where he was from) and splits off another timeline because "there's already a Trunks there". Disregarding the fact that there was a Trunks present in his second trip to the past, Trunks went back to the future twice to points where there should have "already been a Trunks". Why didn't he create a new timeline that first time?
You completely lost me here.

Trunks appears in time-line 3, warns Goku and about the Androids, and then tries to return home going to exactly the same point in time and space as the Trunks from time-line 2. At this point, one of two things happens. Either, since they have identicle memories, knowledge, and everything else (still making them effectively the same person) they 'merge'. Thus not creating the alternate future yet. Or, he 'bump into' his TL2 version and causes the time-line to divide to allow for two of the exact same person to appear in the exact same place at the exact same time.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:15 pm

@Xyex: you say that T4 split from T1 at the point at which Trunks first returned. However, that would mean that Trunks initial jump to the past goes to two timelines at the same time. Is this possible? I believe T4 split at the point at which Cell returns (the year 764), because splitting Trunks' appearance in T2 required T4.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:41 pm

Okay - I'll bring up my main point, again Xyex:

According to your theory, Trunks is from timeline one - creates timeline 2 - and then is killed by cell who creates timelnie 3. But timeline 3 had another Trunks showing up. Where did he come from?

It can't be the Trunks from timeline one, because he only jumps between timeline one and two. It can't be the Trunks from timeline two, because that's a timeline where a future Trunks has shown up. And it can't be the Trunks from timeline three because that's must be the Trunks we see in GT.

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:44 pm

Well, he's from T4. Since Cell altered T2 and indirectly, through Trunks, altered T1, he created not just T3 but T4, as well. That's where second Trunks is from.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:05 pm

Terra-jin wrote:Well, he's from T4. Since Cell altered T2 and indirectly, through Trunks, altered T1, he created not just T3 but T4, as well. That's where second Trunks is from.
Wait. What? What fourth timeline? By Xyex's theory, there's no fourth timeline until Trunks travels from timeline 3 to timeline 1 right? How did a Trunks get to timeline 3?

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:22 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
Terra-jin wrote:Well, he's from T4. Since Cell altered T2 and indirectly, through Trunks, altered T1, he created not just T3 but T4, as well. That's where second Trunks is from.
Wait. What? What fourth timeline? By Xyex's theory, there's no fourth timeline until Trunks travels from timeline 3 to timeline 1 right? How did a Trunks get to timeline 3?
Desire's got ya', Rob(Xyex). According to your theory, there isn't a T4 until Trunks' return to his future after his initial trip, which doesn't make sense. In essence, you're saying that the same Trunks goes to two different timelines, one of which isn't created/diverged/branched until Cell goes back. I'm in agreement that this part of your theory doesn't make sense, as much of a supporter as I am about there only being 4 timelines (because really, I just cannot fathom there being so many useless unseen timelines created on every single trip to the past and future).
14 years later

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:11 pm

What is there not to get? The past unfolds the same way unless something changes it, right? Cell being in the past can not change the fact that Trunks appeared there, can it? No. Therefor, by splitting the events of timeline 2 into two timelines he split Trunks appearing into two timelines.

Example time! Take a piece of paper. Now, draw a line across the middle of it. This line marks Trunks entering TL2. Now, tear the paper in half. This tear marks Cell going into the past and dividing TL2 into two timelines. Notice how we now have 2 Trunks'? Yeah, it's that simple people.
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Good point.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:15 pm

Xyex wrote:What is there not to get? The past unfolds the same way unless something changes it, right? Cell being in the past can not change the fact that Trunks appeared there, can it? No. Therefor, by splitting the events of timeline 2 into two timelines he split Trunks appearing into two timelines.

Example time! Take a piece of paper. Now, draw a line across the middle of it. This line marks Trunks entering TL2. Now, tear the paper in half. This tear marks Cell going into the past and dividing TL2 into two timelines. Notice how we now have 2 Trunks'? Yeah, it's that simple people.
What?! That's the craziest shit I've ever heard. How does he split Trunks? He splits the timeline when he enters it - before Trunks ever shows up. How does Cell split a timeline that doesn't include Trunks... that then includes Trunks?! What?!

None of your analogies make any sense.

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:31 pm

Here's how I see things.

1) Mirai Trunks goes back in time. He warns everyone of the Androids. This splits off a new timeline because otherwise it would cause a paradox with the universe he came from. He goes home.

2) He comes back to help three years later. This does NOT split off a new timeline because, unlike the first trip, it wouldn't cause a paradox with his own; the future of this universe, to quote Doc Brown, hasn't been written yet. Bulma creates the Emergency Stop control and deactivates the Androids. Mirai Trunks goes home.

3) Mirai is killed by Cell. Cell takes the time machine. Since he goes back farther than Mirai did, this splits off a new timeline because otherwise it would cause a paradox.

Here's where things get tricky.

4) This causes there to be an extra destroyed future as well, complete with extra Mirai. When he leaves, he splits off an extra version of the happy timeline, the one we follow for the rest of the manga.

5) This Mirai is the one we see for the rest of the series, the one that comes back, trains with Vegeta, etc.

6) Cell gets killed. Mirai returns to his home time and kills the Androids and this timeline's version of Cell.
Last edited by Thanos6 on Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trunks & Goten forever

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:13 pm

What?! That's the craziest shit I've ever heard. How does he split Trunks? He splits the timeline when he enters it - before Trunks ever shows up. How does Cell split a timeline that doesn't include Trunks... that then includes Trunks?! What?!

None of your analogies make any sense.
You're obviously either not paying attention or just not trying to understand because this is beyond simple to follow. I'll try another way of explaining it though.

When Cell makes his trip back the time-line splits along the path he takes. Thus, everything from the time he left until the time he appeared splits off from TL2 to form TL3. Events that have already occured during this span of time still play out exactly as they had before, unless acted upon by an 'outside force'. Thus, unless something makes Trunks not appear he will appear because he already did.
<Xyex> Good point.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:26 am

Okay - so traveling back in time creates a new timeline that is exactly like your own up until the time you left. Okay. That seems odd, but that's not my question.

Where did the Trunks that shows up to warn Goku (ostensibly the Trunks we see in the series) in the new Cell-created timeline come from?.

He has to come from somewhere and the only options I can gather from your theory are:
1. Timeline one - but we know that Trunks already travels to timeline two.
2. Timeline two - but this Trunks is not from a dystopian future so it can't be him.
3. Timeline three - he can't come from here because that would mean he's affecting his own timeline (which is impossible).
4. Nowhere - there are no other timelines, so this Trunks must just show up.

So, again, I ask where does this Trunks come from?

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:14 am

I agree with Desire's question. And that's pretty much where my "every possible combination of timetravelers" theory comes in, because the Z timeline needs a Trunks to fit canon...
Of course, my theory also makes two Cells from the one that goes back in time without making a home timeline for the extra... o.o
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:20 am

Um, I think #4 in my theory explains it.
Trunks & Goten forever

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:04 am

Hm, no matter how much I think about this, I cannot posit there being fewer than 7 timelines. I have employed the following guidelines to time-travel in developing my theory:

On time-travel in general:
1. When one travels to the past, one will always create one new timeline, with the scope and scale differences depending on the degree and nature of influence one's stay has on the past.
2. One cannot influence one's own timeline; one can only influence alternate timelines.
3. Alternate timelines are not created upon one's return to one's present timeline. As only timelines created by time-travel, and not quantum decision making are under consideration here, so long as a return trip is attempted, it is assumed to be successful.
On Bulma's time-machine:
A. The time machine has the ability to revisit a timeline that it has created, and create new timelines stemming from that timeline.
B. The time machine is not restricted in the sense that the same time must pass in both the present and the created timeline between time jumps.

That said, I present the following diagram, outlining all 7 timelines that exist:
[img=http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4938 ... pn8.th.jpg]

Now, before I go into details, I'm going to quote the four Daizenshû timelines, courtesy of Dayspring from a while ago....
Dayspring in 2004 wrote:Timeline 1: Manga/anime
763: Cell from timeline 3 arrives via time machine
764: Trunks (the mirai trunks we all love) from timeline 2 arrives, kills Freeza+co, gives Goku medicine when he arrives on Earth.
766: Birth of (Chibi) Trunks
767: Arrival of Androids, Cell attains Perfect Form, Cell Games
774: Boo revives
784: 28th budoukai

Timeline 2: Mirai Trunks' time
764: Goku comes back to Earth, kills Freeza+co, dies of heart disease
766: Birth of (Mirai) Trunks
767 Arrival of Androids, everybody but Gohan dies
780: Death of Gohan
784: Trunks goes back in time (into timeline 1's past)
785: Trunks destroys this timeline's Androids
788: Trunks destroys this timeline's Cell

Timeline 3: Cell's Time
All events up to the year 784 are the same as in Timeline 2
785: Trunks (this timeline) returns from timeline 4 with the blueprints of the remote control that deactivates the androids. He uses it to destroy them.
788: Cell (from this timeline and the one that achieves Perfect form in the manga) kills Trunks and uses the time machine to go back in time (into the manga's past).

Timeline 4: Unknown timeline
All events in this timeline up to 767 are the same as in the manga
767: Opening of Cell Games (diagram has pic of Perfect Cell here)
Outcome of Cell Games unknown
Now, explanation time~!

The first unaltered original in my theory, called Cell's Storyline is the timeline whence Cell originated. I believe that in this timeline, much like Trunks' timeline, Trunks travelled to the past twice. He travelled once to the past from 784 to 764, creating Storyline X, and a second time from 785 to 767, creating Storyline Y. Storyline X, then, is the timeline in which Trunks appeared only once, while Storyline Y is the timeline in which Trunks returns. This Trunks returns to Cell's Storyline, and sometime in between 785 and 788, he utilizes the emergency suspension switch to destroy Cyborgs 17 and 18; Trunks now intends to return to the past to inform Son Gokû and company (in 763...I don't understand this, but it was stated. I'll address this later). However, he meets his untimely end in 788 when he is killed by this timeline's Cell, who travels to Trunks's Storyline, entering his larval form.

So at this point, Cell has buried himself underground, and has undergone whatever preliminary evolution is necessary before he can return to his former stature, so that he may absorb unknowing humans, and eventually the Cyborgs. Unfortunately, he meets his end one way or another, but I'll get back to that. Anyhow, the events progress as seen in "Trunks: The Story" or The Trunks Special, whichever you choose (neither matters). Once again, as in the first "Cell's Storyline", Bulma and Trunks in 784 realize life sucks, with the awakened Cyborgs 17 and 18, and he travels to the past twice, creating two new storylines, which just so happen to be the "Unknown Storyline" and "Main Story" referenced in the Daizenshû. The Briefs's see hope in the future, however the time travel they undergo is actually also beneficial to Cell! As Cell did not survive for one reason or another in "Trunks's Storyline", Trunks's intervention in time allows Cell to reach his final evolved state in both of these timelines. In both storylines, there a Cell Games tournament is held, however only the results of the "Main Storyline" are known. After the events of Volume 35 of the Tankôban conclude, Trunks returns to the "Main Storyline", creating a "Storyline Z" alongside the "Main Storyline" to which he does not return for a third time.

There are a few issues I want to quickly address before receiving input. First, the aforementioned query as to why Trunks travelled to the year 763. As Trunks believed he brought peace to Son Gokû and the rest in "Storyline Y", what point was there in returning to a time prior to his first visit, and create a new timeline? This would serve no purpose, as nobody would have previously encountered, and Son Gokû would be on Yardrat. I feel that perhaps Trunks was in the process of setting the time to which he planned to travel, however Cell stopped in the process (or, he lied to Piccolo).

There is also the issue about the Cell present in "Trunks's Storyline". I feel the only possible means of dealing with this, is claiming that he attempted to absorb the Cyborgs, and was killed as he was not yet strong enough. If anybody else has different ideas, feel free to present them, however I feel this is the most likely occurance.

You may also question "Storyline Z", the timeline to which Trunks returns after defeating cell in "Trunks's Storyline". I feel that since Bulma asked Trunks to give her regards to everybody, as he travelled to tell them of his success in battling the Cyborgs and Cell in his time, he indeed intended to return to the "Main Storyline" we see in the Anime and Manga. I just through the year 784 out there as a possibility, as if we want the ninth feature to occur in this continuity, we have to work around Trunks returning to the "Main Storyline" and creating a new timeline after the Cell Games, as the movie presented the universe with such intentions.

Finally, you may ask why I believe this theory to be correct when it presents three more unseen timelines than the Daizenshû? I can rather simply explain all three. "Storyline Z" most likely would not be referenced in the Daizenshû, as it lays the ground for one of the films, which most likely were not under consideration in the timeline page. Additionally, the events are too similar to the "Main Storyline", and mentioning it would be rather redundant. "Storyline X" is not mentioned as there is no way of possibly predicting its results, and it is not very interesting. Likely, Son Gokû and the others defeat the Cyborgs without much difficulty. Finally, "Storyline Y" is not mentioned, however the Daizenshû outline for "Cell's Storyline" demand it exists. For in this timeline, the events with Cell do not occur, so Trunks is not distracted by the sagas of Cell's evolution and the Cell Games. He merely seeks the emergency suspension switch, and Bulma produces it for him to use. He does not utilize the Room of Spirit and Time as the Trunks from "Trunks's Storyline" did in the "Main Storyline", as need for its utilization did not arise, because Cell was not present, and thus is weak enough that Cell is able to kill him with little incident, after Trunks uses the switch to deactivate and kill the Cyborgs.

*phew* Fun read, I'm sure. Again, any comments/questions are appreciated~! 8)

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:43 am

desirecampbell wrote:Okay - so traveling back in time creates a new timeline that is exactly like your own up until the time you left. Okay. That seems odd, but that's not my question.

Where did the Trunks that shows up to warn Goku (ostensibly the Trunks we see in the series) in the new Cell-created timeline come from?.

He has to come from somewhere and the only options I can gather from your theory are:
1. Timeline one - but we know that Trunks already travels to timeline two.
2. Timeline two - but this Trunks is not from a dystopian future so it can't be him.
3. Timeline three - he can't come from here because that would mean he's affecting his own timeline (which is impossible).
4. Nowhere - there are no other timelines, so this Trunks must just show up.

So, again, I ask where does this Trunks come from?
I've explained this numerous times already. As plainly as possible. Either you're not reading my posts, not paying attention, or... something. Either way, I'm tired of talking to someone who's not even paying attention.
<Xyex> Good point.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:08 pm

Analytical Delusion, that's almost exactly like my theory. The only main difference I can spot (I'll have to reread your post again... timelines are hard :P) is that you don't require timejumps to the future to create new timelnes. I feel it's important to include that in my theory, if only for consistency. There are explanations as to why such jumps wouldn't create new timelines, but since we have to evidence that jumps to the future act any differently than jumps to the past, I treat them the same.

Oh, and about the 'lazy Cell'. It's entirely possible (and probably most probable) that he was killed by #16. Even after absorbing many humans, #16 said he could beat first form Cell. In this alternate future, where Cell was weak from lack of humans, #16 could easily have defeated him.
Xyex wrote:I've explained this numerous times already. As plainly as possible. Either you're not reading my posts, not paying attention, or... something. Either way, I'm tired of talking to someone who's not even paying attention.
No, Xyex, you haven't. You've alluded to him coming from timeline one, and kind of implied that he came from timeline four, and somewhat explained that Cell's jump split the original Trunks in two - but you've not stated anything directly.

So, just one sentence, if that's all you can muster, where the hell did that Trunks come from?

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:20 pm

Cool, I'm on the same page as somebody else who's been doing this for a while 8) .

Now, my major question is how would Cyborg 16 be the one to destroy Cell (I'm assuming we're both talking about Cell in "Trunks's Storyline"), when 16 was never reactivated in that timeline? Cyborg 16, as you said, would easily be able to defeat Cell, however Trunks mentioned multiple times that 16 did not exist in his time. Does your theory require that he was deactivated as well? I'm going to watch your youtube video now, maybe that'll shed some light on this. Also, I realize that creating a new timeline upon return is logically equivalent to creating a new timeline in the past, however...um...I don't know yet, but gahhhhhhh! These threads are horrible (they should teach Fictional Universe Time-lines and Time-travel in university). TT_TT