Piccolo Daimao Question

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Piccolo Daimao Question

Post by Tyro » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:20 pm

One simple question. Why did he blow up after Goku punched through him?

Maker777
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Piccolo Daimao Question

Post by Maker777 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:31 pm

Tyro wrote:One simple question. Why did he blow up after Goku punched through him?
Because its a cartoon.
[b]Mr.Pedestrian[/b]
[url=http://www.users.on.net/~mateen/][b]Shnay Krew[/b][/url]
[url=http://mrpedestrian.deviantart.com/][b]DeviArt[/b][/url] || [url=http://www.myspace.com/_1_a][b]MySpace[/b][/url]

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:24 pm

Umm... kamikaze? Creating his egg required that his body be destroyed? ... ... dramatic effect? If it was an attack, it wasn't expected to kill Goku, I think... umm... pyrotechnics?
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Lobster_Rage155
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lobster_Rage155 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:06 pm

Goku must have tried using a Hokuto Shinken technique as his last resort. :P

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:11 pm

Probably for the same reason Freeza blows up when Gohan punches him in movie 12. :)

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:29 pm

caejones wrote:Creating his egg required that his body be destroyed?
I like that option. Making a reincarnation of himself somehow related to his exploding death.

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:58 pm

Could be that Toriyama had the idea after seeing Return of the Jedi and thoght the whole idea of the villan exploding to be a cool thing. Or not. Maybe he just thought that it would make the whole ¨piccolo is still alive¨ all the more shocking to the audiance.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

Dragon Ball Daisuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon Ball Daisuki » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:54 am

I like this idea a lot. After all, Daimao wasn't simply cloning himself, or copying himself, he was transferring himself, from one body to the next. I suppose when the ghost goes out of the shell, so to speak, the body (especially one with a gaping hole) would have trouble keeping all that ki together? I mean, if Goku was worried about Kaiou-ken blowing him up, because he couldn't control it... imagine someone without a freaking soul, am I right? The idea has merit.

The common theory, I'm told, is that Goku's technique (typically referred to as "Ozaru-ken") could be considered an early version of the technique he used in Movie 13 (whatever the hell it was called ... I don't want to risk calling it something ridiculous like say... Wrath of the Dragon :wink: ). The two moves are aethsetically similar: leaping forward with one fist, accompanied by the image of an immense monster (meant to represent ultimate power?), resulting in the penetration and ultimately, spontaneous combustion of the enemy. Is the explosion a side-effect, or part of the attack? We may never know.

What we do know is that these attacks are strikingly similar and differ in one major way. In the case of the latter, Goku actually seems to become a golden dragon; whereas in the former, Goku is more or less accompanied by the Ozaru. But this could be a stylistic choice.

Unless of course, you are of the train of thought that when Yamucha uses Rougafufu-ken, he transforms into a literal wolf. :D
Last edited by Dragon Ball Daisuki on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:01 am

Dragon Ball Daisuki wrote:The common theory, I'm told, is that Goku's technique (typically referred to as "Ozaru-ken") could be considered an early version of the technique he used in Movie 13 (whatever the hell it was called ... I don't want to risk calling it something ridiculous like say... Wrath of the Dragon :wink: ).
It was 'ryu-ken', literally, 'dragon fist'.

Dragon Ball Daisuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon Ball Daisuki » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:16 am

A lot of people seem to include the Japanese word for 'explosion' in there as well, though this may have developed from the title of the film? At any rate, "Ryu-ken" is infinitely more convenient, and its slight nod to Street Fighter makes me smile.

:]

gohanku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by gohanku » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:32 am

Maybe Piccolo Daimao exploded due to the fact that the punch Goku gave had a heck lot of ki in it...
[quote="SSj Kaboom talking about Future Gohan in BT3"]I feel sorry for Future Gohan.

Everyone's like, "What?! What are you doing with [b][i]two[/i][/b] arms?! You tear that off right now, mister!"

Poor guy.[/quote]
Lol'ed.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:48 am

Dragon Ball Daisuki wrote:A lot of people seem to include the Japanese word for 'explosion' in there as well, though this may have developed from the title of the film? At any rate, "Ryu-ken" is infinitely more convenient, and its slight nod to Street Fighter makes me smile.

:]
Well, sometimes he actually says "Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu", in GT anyway.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:58 pm

Lobster_Rage155 wrote:Goku must have tried using a Hokuto Shinken technique as his last resort. :P
(Dies laughing)

Anyway, the thirteenth movie was called Ryuken Bakuhatsu!! Goku ga Yaraneba Dare ga Yaru
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!