Does Buu say "Saiya-jin"?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Does Buu say "Saiya-jin"?

Post by KillerCory » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:05 pm

I was just watching dub episode 230 in which Goku transforms into SSJ3. Well when Goku explaining the different levels it really sounds like Buu says Saiya-jin!

Am I just hearing things?
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Re: Does Buu say "Saiya-jin"?

Post by Conan the SSJ » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:09 pm

KillerCory wrote:I was just watching dub episode 230 in which Goku transforms into SSJ3. Well when Goku explaining the different levels it really sounds like Buu says Saiya-jin!

You're not hearing things, he said it, though with the obvious syllable pronunciation of "Say" rather than "Sai". I guess they couldn't just dub him saying "A Super Saiyan?" It'll probably be fixed in its season set like Vegeta's "Kayoken" was in Season 1.
14 years later

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:07 am

I didn't catch that episode, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone on FUNi's writing team slipped that in as an "Easter Egg."
Trunks & Goten forever

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:49 am

In the Ocean dub, it sounds like he says "Say yay yan"

DemonKingPiccolo
Beyond Newbie

Post by DemonKingPiccolo » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:12 am

It's true, I've heard him say "Saiya-jin" in that episode as well. Since his mouth flaps ("flaps", an official word used by voice actors) five syllables at that part, in the new box set, they could always re-dub that to "What's Super Saiyan?" or something along those lines. That's five syllables as well, and it roughly means the same thing.
"There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
And it's filled with people who are filled with shit
And the vermin of the world inhabit it."
~Sweeney Todd

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:18 pm

When I first saw the episode, which was 6+ years ago, when I heard Buu say "Super Saiya-jin?" I was really confused. I had no clue what he said, because I didn't know that I was watching a Japanese show.:P I think it's a really cool little Easter egg that they probably put in on purpose for the fans of the Japanese version to pick out. :)
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Does Buu say "Saiya-jin"?

Post by Anonymous Friend » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:31 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:
KillerCory wrote:I was just watching dub episode 230 in which Goku transforms into SSJ3. Well when Goku explaining the different levels it really sounds like Buu says Saiya-jin!

You're not hearing things, he said it, though with the obvious syllable pronunciation of "Say" rather than "Sai". I guess they couldn't just dub him saying "A Super Saiyan?" It'll probably be fixed in its season set like Vegeta's "Kayoken" was in Season 1.
I noticed that some people seem to point out that “AI” sounds like eye instead of a long vowel 'a', why is that? I always thought of it as the same way it sounds in 'pain'.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Toniofalcon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Toniofalcon » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:21 pm

Ai is pronounced eye in the Japanese language and people want everything to be faithful to the Japanese version.

LSSJ4
Beyond Newbie

Post by LSSJ4 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:25 pm

Well, In the GBA game Buu's Fury, When you face Majin Buu before Goku's SSJ3 transformation, he also uses this line. In the game, if i remember correctly (tell me if i'm wrong), when Buu says his part, it is written as "Saiya-Jin" or something similar, what i remember is that "Saiya" and "Jin" were written seperately.

Since the game is based off the dub, i think its accurate to what the characters said.
Last edited by LSSJ4 on Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:30 am

Toniofalcon wrote:Ai is pronounced eye in the Japanese language and people want everything to be faithful to the Japanese version.
There's also the fact that the dub pronounces the "Kai" in "King Kai" correctly. Kaiouken is named after him, but you'd never know it in FUNi's version.
-Rachel

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:55 am

Toniofalcon wrote:Ai is pronounced eye in the Japanese language and people want everything to be faithful to the Japanese version.
Is Saiya-jin pronounced like say or like sigh in the japanese version?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Toniofalcon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Toniofalcon » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:12 am

Anonymous Friend wrote:
Is Saiya-jin pronounced like say or like sigh in the japanese version?
Sigh.

Oh, and Sigh-on just sounds weird. I figure that's why they say " Say an".

And I think I've heard K-eye oh-ken in the dub before a few times. I've always pronounced it that way. Never quite figured out why it was named that. :P

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:46 pm

Toniofalcon wrote:And I think I've heard K-eye oh-ken in the dub before a few times. I've always pronounced it that way. Never quite figured out why it was named that. :P
Kaio (As in Kaio-sama/King Kai) = Lord of Worlds.

Ken = Fist.

Kaio + ken = Kaioken (Fist of the Lord Of Worlds).

And I finally got used to using K-eye-Oh-Ken... Now Kayoken sounds funny...

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:58 pm

Toniofalcon wrote: Oh, and Sigh-on just sounds weird. I figure that's why they say " Say an".
I remember coming across the word "Saiyan" in writing years ago, before I heard it pronounced on the show. "Sigh-on" was the pronunciation that came to mind.
The best of both worlds would have been "Sigh-en," with a long I sound in the first syllable, and the second syllable being the equivalent to English words for nationalities: American, German, Italian, etc. That's just hypothetical, though, as if it had been the pronunciation originally chosen for the dub. "Sey-en" is already a part of dub-DBZ culture, and it's how I always say the word anyway.
I can see their parachutes.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:24 am

Heh heh, recall the commercial for SSJ Goku Vs Freeza toys, I think involving Gohan and the Nimbus and such... and how the narrator pronounced it Sigh'n, and then they eventually made a new version to pronounce it like the dub?
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

TheJoo87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheJoo87 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:01 pm

caejones wrote:Heh heh, recall the commercial for SSJ Goku Vs Freeza toys, I think involving Gohan and the Nimbus and such... and how the narrator pronounced it Sigh'n, and then they eventually made a new version to pronounce it like the dub?
This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0OJF2e6PWE

What's funny is they say the announcer is pronouncing Saiyan incorectly when in reality that should have been the way to pronounce it originally.
"What do you get when you cross an owl with a bungee cord? My Ass... ah ha ha ha."-Master Pain (Betty)

"Remember children, if you are walking on your way home and you see a downed power line, eat a lot of hot dogs very quickly." - Takeru Kobayashi on snl.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:12 pm

TheJoo87 wrote:What's funny is they say the announcer is pronouncing Saiyan incorectly when in reality that should have been the way to pronounce it originally.
Words change when they move from language to language. Just look what happened to "Ouranos".

TheJoo87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheJoo87 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:27 pm

Rocketman wrote:
TheJoo87 wrote:What's funny is they say the announcer is pronouncing Saiyan incorectly when in reality that should have been the way to pronounce it originally.
Words change when they move from language to language. Just look what happened to "Ouranos".
I'm aware of that yes. I'm just saying that the way it's pronounced in Funi's version is completely incorrect. I don't really care what they do in their version, I'm just pointing that out.
"What do you get when you cross an owl with a bungee cord? My Ass... ah ha ha ha."-Master Pain (Betty)

"Remember children, if you are walking on your way home and you see a downed power line, eat a lot of hot dogs very quickly." - Takeru Kobayashi on snl.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:41 pm

It's was obviously on purpose. There are other times, like Vegeta's pronunciation of Kaioken, and even in the new set, Gohan called Goku's Spirit Bomb, an "energy ball" which is the direct translation. I put on subtitles actually and it says, "Saiya-yin?" Anyways, I'm fine with the US pronunciations really. I mean I don't want to call Goku a Scion, :) Way I look at it, the pronunciations are justified. People are selective. Lots complain about the pronunciation of words like "Saiyan" and "Kaioken"...but they're fine calling the series Dragon Ball as opposed to Duragon Boro, and they're fine calling Krillin Krillin, as opposed to actually pronouncing his name Kuririn. Turanksu anyone?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:26 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Lots complain about the pronunciation of words like "Saiyan" and "Kaioken"...but they're fine calling the series Dragon Ball as opposed to Duragon Boro, and they're fine calling Krillin Krillin, as opposed to actually pronouncing his name Kuririn. Turanksu anyone?
"Dragon" and "Ball" are English words, written in English by the original author in the Japanese version. "Kaio-Ken" has no basis what-so-ever in the English language.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::