Why didn't Goten have any hidden powers?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gogeta 00
Beyond Newbie

Why didn't Goten have any hidden powers?

Post by Gogeta 00 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:10 pm

Gohan did,so why didn't Goten?

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:28 pm

Being able to turn Super Saiyan at the age of 7 seems like a hidden power to me.
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

Gogeta 00
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta 00 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:38 pm

Well obviously that wasn't hidden since he already knew how to use it and had control over it.That was also probably inherited as a result of goku being a super saiyan at the time of Goten's conception.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:45 pm

Honestly, I don't think Goten and Trunks are nearly as powerful as people make them out to be. Sure they were super saiya-jins but they had very little training, well maybe Trunks had a decent amount, so why would they be uber-strong? I just can't imagine them beating Freeza, even if they teamed, not counting Gotenks.

Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:50 pm

Probably a result of the fact that the series at that point was drawing to a close and both Goten and Trunks kinda got gypped in the development department. Guess their inexplicable abilities to become Super Saiyajin and break the canon by not achieving the required emotional trauma makes that unimportant, though.
Steam Name: SG2
Discord Tag: Esjitu#4064

"I came to save you thanks to a magic bean. And if you think it was easy to find that bean, you're wrong."
--'Big Green' Yajirobe

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:50 pm

Well... Goten's never experienced the emotions to bring out any hidden powers. He didn't even need anger for Super Saiyan, so it's possible that Goten still has all his hidden powers. Have you ever seen Goten angry? He's too Goten to be angry :P

EDIT: Now that I think of it: when Chichi got egged by Buu, he suddenly got all fired up to train in the RoSaT. Trunks had trouble keeping up in that little scene.
It's all GOOD

Gogeta 00
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta 00 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:57 pm

omegacwa wrote:Honestly, I don't think Goten and Trunks are nearly as powerful as people make them out to be. Sure they were super saiya-jins but they had very little training, well maybe Trunks had a decent amount, so why would they be uber-strong? I just can't imagine them beating Freeza, even if they teamed, not counting Gotenks.
I agree(with the exception of mirai trunks),especially in gt,trunks and goten became two great big piles of wasted potential in dbgt.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:59 pm

I only meant current Trunks, not Mirai, sorry if that was confusing at all.

Gogeta 00
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta 00 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:41 pm

omegacwa wrote:I only meant current Trunks, not Mirai, sorry if that was confusing at all.
Yeah I figured you meant that,but just in case I pointed it out anyway

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:34 pm

The thing is, it's not like the characters in-universe were like, "Oh whatever. No big deal!" They were pretty suprised about it, too! So, we could come up with all the explinations we want about Trunks and Goten's abilities but it won't really matter. They're so young that they don't really remember it. Nobody was around to see it.

To me, that's part of the fun of it! It's part of the innocent charm of the characters themselves that they're so superpowered but they don't even really care as long as they get to spar eith each other on a normal basis.

As for the GT comment, the only time I don't disregard GT is when reading Toyble's DBAF fanmanga. Other than that, Goten and Trunks weren't as interested in training anymore when they were teenagers so they were wasted potential even in DBZ.