Name Origins

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:34 pm

Daimao wrote:"Chichin Puipui" and "Tekumaku mayakon" are the two chants in question for Puipui and Yakon, respectively.
Not to necro-post, but are these commonly used magical phrases, or are they inspired by pop-culture?

When I searched for "tekumaku mayakon," all I got was hits for "Himitsu no Akko-chan" by Fujio Akatsuka. While this appears to be the very first-ever magical-girl manga (and therefore around long enough for Toriyama to make use of it), is it really the origin of this phrase?

The same goes for "chichin puipui." There seems to be a manga with that title, but is that also the origin?

Thanks for the help.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:55 am

Wowwww Necro-post. Sorry. Just want to say that I read once that chichin puipui is a spell chanted when kids get hurt. I dont know the validity of that, and any search I run just seems to get me hits for some news show with phrase as its name... so I dunno.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:05 am

That's correct.

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:43 pm

What about Tao Pai Pai? it's sounds very Chinese.
Just Saiyan...

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:17 pm

SaiyaMel wrote:What about Tao Pai Pai? it's sounds very Chinese.
I think that means Pink White White, which fits with the abundancy of colour puns during the Red Ribbon Arc.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:27 pm

I could buy that. I always wondered why there was two Pai Pai's in his name.

I hope this hasn't been asked before - are Dodoria and Zarbon puns for anything?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:30 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I could buy that. I always wondered why there was two Pai Pai's in his name.

I hope this hasn't been asked before - are Dodoria and Zarbon puns for anything?
Pai-pai is also a slang term for breasts, which I believe was intended as an additional pun in Taopaipai's name. The mermaid that Goku brings to Kame Sen'nin's house has 'pai pai' written on her shirt.

Dodoria's name is derived from the durian fruit, which is as spikey as he is. Zarbon's name is derived, I think, from 'zabon', which is a kind of pomelo.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:34 am

...Do I even want to know what Tao has to do with those? No, on second thought, please don't answer. :shock:

Ah, wait - so are all of Frieza's men (outside the dairy-punned Ginyu Force) puns off of some kind of fruit, as a counter-part to the Vegetable-punned Saiyans? I mean he has a soldier named Appule, so...

On that frame of mind, what is Cui a pun of then?
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:50 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:On that frame of mind, what is Cui a pun of then?
I believe it's a pun on the Kiwi fruit.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:02 am

Oh...yeah, do I feel stupid. I knew that one. :oops:

So am I right in assuming all of Frieza's henchmen, disregarding the Ginyu Force and Saiyans, are puns off of fruits?
Twitter

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:58 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Oh...yeah, do I feel stupid. I knew that one. :oops:

So am I right in assuming all of Freeza's henchmen, disregarding the Ginyu Force and Saiyans, are puns off of fruits?
Yep.

In anime filler stuff, there are even soldiers named after "blueberry" and "raspberry" in the Buruma vs the crab episode, the guys in the fake Namek episodes are named after "litchi" and "zakuro", and I think there was another random anime-only soldier named after "orange" somewhere.

(They'll all be in Sparking! FIVE.)
-Rachel

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:04 am

Heh, I forgot about old Blueberry and Raspberry. Might be me trying to block those two episodes from my memory though - they almost made me not get into DBZ.

LMAO, probably so, along with 10 more Oozarus. :?
Twitter

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:25 am

TripleRach wrote:I think there was another random anime-only soldier named after "orange" somewhere.
I recall seeing a character named "Orin" or "Oran" credited in an episode of the season sets. I believe he was the orange version of Appule.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:00 am

Yeah, he was more or less like Appule, only he had fangs. He was the one that went to the Namekian village where Vegeta had hidden the Dragon Ball, and when a Namekian was crawling towards him and the DB, he killed the Namekian. When he returned to Frieza to tell him that Vegeta had the DB and that he (Orin) had killed the only surviving witness, he himself was killed.
Twitter