Cell: Truly evil or a product of his genetics?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:32 pm

*PINHEAD* wrote:...a universe that is ultimately amoral.
You're certainly very eloquent on this matter, but what you claim here can't be substantiated. You can't say that there's an absolute good or evil, just as you can't say there's not an absolute good or evil. All that left's for you is the choice whether to believe in a sick, cruel world without morals or values, or to believe in a world that leaves room for a little optimism.

Anyway, I'm probably not learned or well-spoken enough to debate with you on this subject, so I'm just gonna leave it at this. Not to mention that such debates are generally without end - that is, until it ends with flaming and other bad stuff :)
It's all GOOD

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:40 pm

Storm wrote:Cell had no reason to kill anyone other than Goku after he became complete, but vowed to anyway. Why? Because he's evil. His programming code only went so far as "absorb 17 and 18, absorb any humans necessary for life force, and kill Goku." But he went beyond that. He had very strict guidelines, and because he was sentient and had free will, he went beyond them.

He's not "misunderstood" or "given a different minset": the dude's just evil.
After he killed Goku, he wanted to blow up the Earth and even the solar system. Cell is evil and he knows it.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:58 pm

I really like ramen. I didn't choose to like ramen. I consciously go into my pantry, take out a packet of instant noodles, boil water in a stove, and cook the ramen. Sometimes I eat more than I really need to eat. But I didn't will my liking of ramen.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Kroni_Hunter
Regular

Post by Kroni_Hunter » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:55 pm

Le't's say you have Hitler and the Pope. If you were to clone them, taking traits from both of their DNAs and combining them into one, you would have a cloned human that was neither Hitler nor the Pope. This clone would have his own soul and would be capable of good or evil just as Hitler and the Pope were. Given the right conditioning, this clone could be raised to become more like Hitler, or become more like the Pope. Did Hitler know what he did was wrong? Maybe, but he didn't care. He had a set of ideals that impacted him more than absolute truth, which was that he was a murderer. That doesn't mean Hitler is a creature of pure evil, he was a human just like us. He made bad choices. Given the way Cell comes into this world, I think it's perfectly understandable why he turned out so evil and misguided. He had ideals just as Hitler did and the only way to really understand what goes through a killer's mind is to be a killer. (If Bulma had found embryo cell, she could have probably raised him to be a creature of good) Once again, Cell is NOT a creature of pure evil. He is a living being and there is no reason why he would not possess a soul. Piccolo Diamyo did not go to hell when he died, he bore a son and his evil spirit stayed with his son. When Buu dies, he does not go to hell. His essence is changed from evil to good and he becomes a living person. You only go to hell if you have a choice to be good or evil.
"An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world; a pessimest fears that this is true."