Why do lots of people like Cell and Broly?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ultimatedbzfan

Why do lots of people like Cell and Broly?

Post by ultimatedbzfan » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:02 am

Hi. I'm new to this site and I want to know why everybody likes Cell and Broly some much. In my opinion they're two of DBZ's most overrated villains.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:21 am

Broli is a muscly insane powerhouse that likes to kill things. For some reason those tend to be popular... *shrug*.
Cell? This one's new to me. XD
With Cell, there's a degree of personality, a vaguely Shang Tsung-esque power coupled with an opponent who regenerates (and it was kinda new for a villain at this point, despite Piccolo having it before). And cell kinda develops and falls... and ... Awe, people probably just like him because he's a jerk. :P.

Though, I didn't notice any overwhelming Cell popularity before. But ... I don't look for these things...
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:21 am

Just a friendly reminder, grammar counts here, so get it right. Broly appeals to 9 years olds and Cell really isn't all too popular so I don't know where you got that from. Besides, who else is there, Freeza and Nappa? :lol:
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:23 am

First off, welcome to the forums. :D

Actually, Freeza's my favorite villain (I'd say Vegeta, but he's more in that grey area between good and evil) and I only really enjoyed Brolli in Movie 8.

I think things would've worked out better for Brolli if they didn't have him magically come back for two more movies and thought up different villains instead.

As for Cell....eh. Not my favorite, but I do like his dub voice (Dameon Clarke).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:11 am

SSJ2bardock wrote:...Broly appeals to 9 years olds...
9 year olds, come on is that fair? I am way past 9 years of age and I really like the character. Can you explain to me why you have to insult individual’s intelligence because they prefer a character that the mob does not like?
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:23 am

Cell is totally my favorite. Most people love to hate him though. I was rooting for Cell. :P

He's the smartest. The entire saga was like DBZ for the good guys, but reversed. Cell was the one who was always behind, then he'd find some way to weasel his way on top only to get smacked back down and have to find another way to win.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

ultimatedbzfan

Post by ultimatedbzfan » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:29 am

Okay, I'm going to explain myself more clearly. I think they are both overrated, because every time I go on YouTube, I read crazy comments like, "omg broly is the strongest dbz villain ever, like he can beat ssj3 goku or mystic gohan." I think Cell is just a very unoriginal villain. I mean, he can't even use his own fighting techniques. His character is plain boring and he is too cocky. That's why DBZ should have ended with Freeza, because he was the last original villain.

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:34 am

Cell uses other people's moves, but he uses it better than they do. He's still truly skilled. I'd say he's about the best fighter in the series, right behind Goku.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

ultimatedbzfan

Post by ultimatedbzfan » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:47 am

mAcChaos wrote:Cell uses other people's moves, but he uses it better than they do. He's still truly skilled. I'd say he's about the best fighter in the series, right behind Goku.
You know what, I was just joking about cell being overrated. I think he is the third best dbz villain ever, second being kid buu, and frieza being first. Broly was alright in movie 8, but in movie 10, especially movie 11, he became so lame.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:51 am

Cell is voiced by Norio Wakamoto. That alone makes him awesome. Seriously, that guy has an awesome voice.

Cell is definitely my brother's favorite Dragon Ball character, but I don't see an abnormal amount of Cell fans out there.

And anyway, Brolly probably could fight SSJ3 Goku. To be honest I don't like him that much, but you can't deny that he's one strong character.

Super 17
Regular

Post by Super 17 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:03 am

My favorite characer is Vegeta, but since he is in the good and bad side, I guess my favorite evil characer is Cell and Bebi from GT, but that's another story. As for me, the reason I like cell is because he fits perfect for a villain character. Freeza has some women looks and some women voices (English Dub). As for Majin Buu he is just not smart until he absorbs everyone, plus I don't like the color pink. Cell has a perfect villain look (Perfect form obviously), the color suits him very good, and plus he is very smart.

ultimatedbzfan

Post by ultimatedbzfan » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:13 am

People, I was just kidding about the Cell being overrated comment. I do that to see what kind of reaction I get from DBZ fans. My best friend is a Cell fan. When (I told him I thought) Cell sucked he got pissed. :evil:

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:40 am

ultimatedbzfan

Post by ultimatedbzfan » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:54 am

Bussani wrote:Image
lol

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:05 am

ultimatedbzfan wrote:People, I was just kidding about the Cell being overrated comment. I do that to see what kind of reaction I get from DBZ fans. My best friend is a Cell fan. When (I told him I thought) Cell sucked he got pissed. :evil:
Please refrain from making comments and threads just for the sake of making comments and threads, then. You may also want to review the forum rules, specifically for the items of grammar and "Essential Posting".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:38 am

Bussani wrote:And anyway, Brolly probably could fight SSJ3 Goku. To be honest I don't like him that much, but you can't deny that he's one strong character.
Yes I can. Broly would be obliterated by SSJ2 Goku, much less SSJ3.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:46 am

Rocketman wrote:Yes I can. Broly would be obliterated by SSJ2 Goku, much less SSJ3.
Using logic I would agree with you. But Broly just strikes me as a very illogical character. He just seems to be as strong as whatever situation needs him to be.

That's probably why I don't like him actually. He's a pretty shallow villain. He's just a Saiyajin version of the Hulk. =/

Horgus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Horgus » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:27 am

But.. but..

He was actually able to knock Gogeta back in one of those 'video game/commercial only' clips I saw recently!

>.>

<.<

ultimatedbzfan

Post by ultimatedbzfan » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:45 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
ultimatedbzfan wrote:People, I was just kidding about the Cell being overrated comment. I do that to see what kind of reaction I get from DBZ fans. My best friend is a Cell fan. When (I told him I thought) Cell sucked he got pissed. :evil:
Please refrain from making comments and threads just for the sake of making comments and threads, then. You may also want to review the forum rules, specifically for the items of grammar and "Essential Posting".
Sorry about that.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:47 pm

Horgus wrote:But.. but..

He was actually able to knock Gogeta back in one of those 'video game/commercial only' clips I saw recently!

>.>

<.<

hahaha What really should have happened: Broly explodes as soon as he makes contact with Gogeta.
Trans rights, now!