Mu or Myû?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Mu or Myû?

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:55 pm

Hey guys, I was just wondering: the site here spells Baby's creator's name as 'Mu' while the FUNimation dub spells it Myu. I was wondering, is Mu the spelling Daimao uses for the subs?

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:27 pm

Myuu is the correct one. The katakana of his name spells (ミュー).
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:37 pm

I have it on good authority that it's just spelt "μ".

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:12 am

Daimao uses Dr. Mu, although I always found this rather odd considering the way how his name is pronounced in both Japanese and English the same way, whereas "Mu" seems like it would be read as "Moo." o_o;
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:29 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:42 am

Daimao probably chose to spell it "Mu" because the name is a pun on "mutant".

edit: To elaborate on that, the katakana spelling for the English word "mutant" is ミュータント/myuutanto, and the doctor's name comes from just taking that first part, ミュー/myuu.
Last edited by Herms on Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:45 am

Well damn. Leave it to Herms to completely blow my mind. Of all these years, I would have never figured it may have had something to do with that. :shock:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:49 am

I never realized it either until reading the GT Perfect File books. The first one's got a little sidebar on most of the name puns for everything up to Baby.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:51 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:54 am

Herms wrote:Daimao probably chose to spell it "Mu" because the name is a pun on "mutant".

edit: To elaborate on that, the katakana spelling for the English word "mutant" is ミュータント/myuutanto, and the doctor's name comes from just taking that first part, ミュー/myuu.
Ah so I see. I think I still prefer "Myuu" over "Mu" though just because of the fact that I'd probably read it as "Moo" :lol:
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:53 pm

Oh my word, now I'm not sure which to use! Well, I'm using Myû already so I may as well stick with it.

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:37 pm

So, yeah, the mutant thing. Herms has it right.

I was really leaning toward μ though, but then thought better of it.