Black's rank

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Adamant
I Live Here

Black's rank

Post by Adamant » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:38 am

Quick question:
What was Black's rank in the Red Ribbon Army? I need both the original japanese word and the english translation.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Black's rank

Post by SaiyaJedi » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:25 am

Adamant wrote:Quick question:
What was Black's rank in the Red Ribbon Army? I need both the original japanese word and the english translation.
"Hosa." Its closest military equivalent in English would be "Adjutant" (a direct subordinate to the commanding officer, who assists him/her in communication and in carrying out orders).
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:03 pm

Now, I'm no army expert, so I'll just ask... is Adjuntant a good position, or is it just bitchwork for the big man?

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:12 pm

It's what Sisko was (briefly) promoted to at one point during DS9, if that's any help.

It's not, is it?
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:27 am

PsyLiam wrote:It's what Sisko was (briefly) promoted to at one point during DS9, if that's any help.

It's not, is it?
Nope, I'm afraid not... What is DS9? Is it Star Trek Deep Space 9? Because I'm not much of a Trekkie.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:03 am

Yes, that is Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. I don't know if it's the same thing, but in the finale of season 3, Commander Sisko was promoted to captain.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:28 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:
"Hosa." Its closest military equivalent in English would be "Adjutant" (a direct subordinate to the commanding officer, who assists him/her in communication and in carrying out orders).
Ah, thank you. I needed this for a write-up I'm doing on how bad the norwegian translation of the DB manga is (very bad. Much worse than early american DBZ).

In this case, the translation was actually spot-on, as the Black is indeed known as "Adjutant Black". Then again, the names of the Red Ribbon guys is pretty much the only thing they do right.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:08 pm

except for General Tao! *cough*cough*cough*

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:09 pm

Adamant wrote:
SaiyaJedi wrote:
Ah, thank you. I needed this for a write-up I'm doing on how bad the norwegian translation of the DB manga is (very bad. Much worse than early american DBZ).

In this case, the translation was actually spot-on, as the Black is indeed known as "Adjutant Black". Then again, the names of the Red Ribbon guys is pretty much the only thing they do right.
Can't wait to read your write-up!

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:24 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Yes, that is Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. I don't know if it's the same thing, but in the finale of season 3, Commander Sisko was promoted to captain.
No, it's not. At the beginning of season 6, all the Starfleet bods were kicked off the station and ended up working out of some Starbase for Admiral Ross. At that point, Sisko was "promoted" to Adjutant. He didn't get any new pips, and he had to stay behind when the Defiant went off on missions, but maybe he got bigger quarters, or nicer dinners, or something.

Doesn't really matter anyway, since they got the station back 4 episodes later and his promotion was never mentioned again.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:51 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:except for General Tao! *cough*cough*cough*
I think you mean Mercenary Tao.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:47 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
SonGokuGT wrote:except for General Tao! *cough*cough*cough*
I think you mean Mercenary Tao.
I think you missed the joke. :wink:

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:12 pm

PsyLiam wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:Yes, that is Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. I don't know if it's the same thing, but in the finale of season 3, Commander Sisko was promoted to captain.
No, it's not. At the beginning of season 6, all the Starfleet bods were kicked off the station and ended up working out of some Starbase for Admiral Ross. At that point, Sisko was "promoted" to Adjutant. He didn't get any new pips, and he had to stay behind when the Defiant went off on missions, but maybe he got bigger quarters, or nicer dinners, or something.

Doesn't really matter anyway, since they got the station back 4 episodes later and his promotion was never mentioned again.
Actually, Sisko tends to make his own dinners, his father being a New Orleans chef and all. ...oh, right, missing the point..
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:04 pm

Mugenmidget wrote: Can't wait to read your write-up!
Well.. the fact that it's in norwegian makes it kinda uninteresting unless you know the language. And norwegians are those who'd be the most interested in knowing how badly the manga they read is butchered.

Toninjinka/Boss Rabbit is called "Master Lamp" for some reason. No, I have no idea why.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:07 pm

Adamant wrote:
Mugenmidget wrote: Can't wait to read your write-up!
Well.. the fact that it's in norwegian makes it kinda uninteresting unless you know the language. And norwegians are those who'd be the most interested in knowing how badly the manga they read is butchered.

Toninjinka/Boss Rabbit is called "Master Lamp" for some reason. No, I have no idea why.
Too bad...but I'll still stab at it if you'll allow me to.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:48 pm

In the anime his character is usually creditted as Black Sanbou.

ブラック参謀 - 佐藤正治
Burakku Sanbou - Satou Masaharu

I looked it up and 'Sanbou' seems to mean "staff officer; participating in planning." Although sometimes he's simply creditted as "Black".

I suppose it's the same idea as hosa, although that only really means assistant, counselor, aide, etc. The actual word for adjutant is fukkan 副官

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:00 pm

DBW wrote:In the anime his character is usually creditted as Black Sanbou.

ブラック参謀 - 佐藤正治
Aw, Jesus. (this coming from a non-Christian)... don't tell me they actually made a pun on "Sambo" in the anime...?! :shock:

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:27 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
DBW wrote:In the anime his character is usually creditted as Black Sanbou.

ブラック参謀 - 佐藤正治
Aw, Jesus. (this coming from a non-Christian)... don't tell me they actually made a pun on "Sambo" in the anime...?! :shock:
Heh, I don't think that was their intention (at least I'd assume not...). The closest translation for his name would probably just be Staff Officer Black. I checked Dragonball Tenka'ichi Densetsu as well (the new DB anime guide) and they have him listed as Black Sanbou in there as well, so I'm guessing that is his official title.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:58 pm

Good thing the dub referred to him as Officer Black before he promoted himself.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:34 am

DBW wrote:Heh, I don't think that was their intention (at least I'd assume not...). The closest translation for his name would probably just be Staff Officer Black. I checked Dragonball Tenka'ichi Densetsu as well (the new DB anime guide) and they have him listed as Black Sanbou in there as well, so I'm guessing that is his official title.
In the manga, he's most definitely Black Hosa. So this is unique to the anime. :?