Herms' Guide Guide (Collection of Information Awesomeness)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Re: Herms' Guide Guide (Collection of Information Awesomeness)

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:30 pm

Would Herms be done translating everything by the year 2030?

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:24 am

Steven Bloodriver wrote:Would Herms be done translating everything by the year 2030?
I don't know about that. If there is more Dragon Ball, then Herms's job will never be done.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Ash57
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash57 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:09 am

I think it would be good if Herms clarified the Kaioshin Realm is actually a fifth of Universe 7's size. The Daizenshuu states it is a tenth of the combined scope of the Living World and the Afterlife, which would make it a fifth of the size of the material universe.
"No matter how many times you spend on these forums. No matter how arrogant you are, you'll eventually lose a debate. So stop and admit that you're not omniscient"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:18 pm

Perhaps it'd be appropriate to update the pronoun guide with Super. I noticed Freeza has started using "Watashi" as his main pronoun and wonder if there are any other changes.

King13s

Post by King13s » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:34 pm

Doctor. wrote:Perhaps it'd be appropriate to update the pronoun guide with Super. I noticed Freeza has started using "Watashi" as his main pronoun and wonder if there are any other changes.
Oh man if they release something that explains Freeza is an asexual gender nuetral species, I can't imagine the west handling that well.

thezander

Post by thezander » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:21 am

Does he ever cover what the 'z' in DBZ means?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:25 am

thezander wrote:Does he ever cover what the 'z' in DBZ means?
This is already covered in our "Production Guide" on the website (pasting below):

-------------------------

The "Z" Title
Probably Toriyama’s most notable contribution to the Dragon Ball Z anime series is that he coined the title "Dragon Ball Z" itself. In pages 92 and 93 of the TV anime guide Son Goku Densetsu, Toriyama explains the origin of the name:
Son Goku Densetsu wrote:— I heard a rumor that you added the "Z" to the title because of an energy supplement that had "Z" in its name.

Toriyama: Well, that's wrong (laughs). "Z" is the last letter in the alphabet, right? So, at the time I already really wanted to end the series, and so I made the title "Z" to say "Hey, this is the end!" I don't remember saying a single thing about any energy supplement. You really can't go by rumors (laughs).

Nakatsuru: Did you imagine anything else besides "Z"?

Toriyama: No, I don't think so. Personally I thought that the title was fine the way it was, but the people on the anime staff said they wanted an image change, so I figured "well, this should be OK".
It is interesting to note that Daizenshuu 10 also mentions that, prior to Toriyama coming up with the title "Dragon Ball Z", the anime staff had been considering such names as "New Dragon Ball", "Dragon Ball 2", "Dragon Ball 90", "Dragon Ball: Wonder Boy", and "Dragon Ball: Gohan's Big Adventure".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

thezander

Post by thezander » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:18 am

VegettoEX wrote:
thezander wrote:Does he ever cover what the 'z' in DBZ means?
This is already covered in our "Production Guide" on the website (pasting below):

-------------------------

The "Z" Title
Probably Toriyama’s most notable contribution to the Dragon Ball Z anime series is that he coined the title "Dragon Ball Z" itself. In pages 92 and 93 of the TV anime guide Son Goku Densetsu, Toriyama explains the origin of the name:
Son Goku Densetsu wrote:— I heard a rumor that you added the "Z" to the title because of an energy supplement that had "Z" in its name.

Toriyama: Well, that's wrong (laughs). "Z" is the last letter in the alphabet, right? So, at the time I already really wanted to end the series, and so I made the title "Z" to say "Hey, this is the end!" I don't remember saying a single thing about any energy supplement. You really can't go by rumors (laughs).

Nakatsuru: Did you imagine anything else besides "Z"?

Toriyama: No, I don't think so. Personally I thought that the title was fine the way it was, but the people on the anime staff said they wanted an image change, so I figured "well, this should be OK".
It is interesting to note that Daizenshuu 10 also mentions that, prior to Toriyama coming up with the title "Dragon Ball Z", the anime staff had been considering such names as "New Dragon Ball", "Dragon Ball 2", "Dragon Ball 90", "Dragon Ball: Wonder Boy", and "Dragon Ball: Gohan's Big Adventure".
That is cool, I like toriyama just does things without all this thought that people put in it themselves.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:35 pm

King13s wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Perhaps it'd be appropriate to update the pronoun guide with Super. I noticed Freeza has started using "Watashi" as his main pronoun and wonder if there are any other changes.
Oh man if they release something that explains Freeza is an asexual gender nuetral species, I can't imagine the west handling that well.
I'm from the west. And I'm ok with the idea.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:59 am

I'm from the west and I always assumed that to be the case.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:16 pm

DNA wrote:I'm from the west and I always assumed that to be the case.
Yeah we westerners might be more open to the idea than others might think
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.