Herms' Guide Guide (Collection of Information Awesomeness)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Herms' Guide Guide (Collection of Information Awesomenes

Post by Herms » Sun May 24, 2015 12:05 am

xmysticgohanx wrote:@herms how literal are your translations?
Stuff in the Strength Checker was done to be as painfully, crushingly literal as possible (though some quotes are ones I translated myself, while others are lines from the Viz or Glenat translations that I looked over and made whatever adjustments I felt were necessary to make them more literal). My approach with interviews, staff comments, or those Bulma blog posts from a ways back is a bit different though. I keep the meaning the same, but I don't focus on making a word-for-word, letter-for-letter mega-literal translation. I mean, it's not like I'm taking big liberties or anything, but I'm also not counting the exact number of times somebody says "very" and making sure it remains the same in the translation, which is the sort of crap I paid attention to for the Strength Checker.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Tue May 26, 2015 11:24 pm

Chapter: 508 (DBZ 314), P4.2-7
Kaioshin: “In m…my era there were five Kaioshins…until they were defeated by the Majin Boo that the wizard Babidi created…I was the youngest and most powerless one, but I somehow survived, with only heavy injuries…But the other four fell to Boo…First, two were killed…the North Kaioshin and the West Kaioshin….And then the South Kaioshin, the burliest and strongest one, was…somehow absorbed by Boo….. “
Elder Kaioshin: …And he became that huge Boo from before? “
Kaioshin: “…Yes…Next to be absorbed was the fat but kind and gentle Dai-Kaioshin….The Majin Boo that Bibidi created was evil itself, a failed creation that even Bibidi himself couldn’t handle, but by absorbing the Dai-Kaioshin, he somehow become controllable…. “
Elder Kaioshin: “…So he was finally completed…Which is to say…that this current…small Majin Boo…is the initial…mo…most troublesome one…”
Kaioshin: “….Yes…the heart which he gained by going so far as to lower his power through absorption…has returned once again to the way it was…he has no self-control whatsoever…he has become evil itself…”
Does the s imply that South Kaioshin also weakened him?
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Tue May 26, 2015 11:41 pm

Super Buu:
Vegeta: “Alright! Let’s blast out of here and escape!”
Goku: “Wait! Even though Boo has returned to normal a whole lot, we’re still simply no match for his strength!"

Buff Buu:
Goku: “H-hey…Vegeta…His ki is increasing, ain’t it…!?”

Pure Buu:
Goku: “We did it! This way, we might be able to manage something.”

Does that imply South Kaioshin weakened Buu? Also, Buu's Daizenshuu entry only mentions Dai Kaioshin weakened him despite talking about South Kaioshin in the same sentence.

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Wed May 27, 2015 12:13 am

I'm aware, I just wanted to know about that particular sentence
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:29 am

xmysticgohanx wrote:I'm aware, I just wanted to know about that particular sentence
It doesn't imply anything. The way the Japanese language works, it's impossible to differentiate between singular and plural nouns without the proper context, and this particular statement on its own doesn't have the necessary context.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Wed May 27, 2015 12:34 am

Thanks fam
Kai >>> Z

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:39 pm

Something odd I found on another forum:
Chapter: 377 (DBZ 183), P8.3-5
Context: as Goku and Gohan start training in the Room of Spirit and Time
Gohan: “Dad, am I going to get in the way of your training?”
Goku: “At first, yeah. But once you’re able to become a Super Saiyan, you’ll really come in handy as a training partner, Gohan. That’s my ideal, anyway. Obviously I intend to obtain power surpassing Super Saiyan. I want to be stronger than anyone, after all. But Gohan, I intend for you to even further surpass me.
"Further" surpass? Wouldn't that mean Gohan was already stronger than Goku, in equal forms at least?

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:49 pm

"I intend for you" means it's not yet the case. Basically, Goku's saying he wants to become stronger than Super Saiyan, and for Gohan to become even stronger than that.

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:51 pm

Ah. Thank you for clearing that up.

Lord Gogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lord Gogeta » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:21 pm

Does anyone has info on DBS Guide?:

Dragon Ball Super: Super Start Guide" Cover Revealed

The upcoming Dragon Ball Super TV series will receive a “Super Start Guide” courtesy of V-Jump just in time for its debut. Very little is known about the magazine-style guide book, but the official website for Dragon Ball Heroes has revealed a small image of its cover

The book will contain information on the “mysterious characters” (one of whom we know is “Champa”), will include a “super comment” from Akira Toriyama, as well as more information about the series’ production. The guide will also come packed with a Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan (SSGSS) Son Goku card (GDPJ-06) for the arcade version of Dragon Ball Heroes

"The Saiyans, they're here, I am they, We are one! Unfortunately for you Omega" ~ Gogeta

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:33 pm

Yes. We all own it. We just haven't gotten around to much from it yet. Jake dropped a few tidbits during the latest podcast episode, though. Honestly, there's truly not a whole lot of interest in there.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Lord Gogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lord Gogeta » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:56 am

VegettoEX wrote:Yes. We all own it. We just haven't gotten around to much from it yet. Jake dropped a few tidbits during the latest podcast episode, though. Honestly, there's truly not a whole lot of interest in there.
Are you talking about my post? Because if so, that's a bit disappointing. I hope you guys one day find the answer I've been looking for: Who is stronger SSG or SSJ4 Gogeta.
I bet that info is or will be in one of the many guides of dragonball
"The Saiyans, they're here, I am they, We are one! Unfortunately for you Omega" ~ Gogeta

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:45 pm

Lord Gogeta wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Yes. We all own it. We just haven't gotten around to much from it yet. Jake dropped a few tidbits during the latest podcast episode, though. Honestly, there's truly not a whole lot of interest in there.
Are you talking about my post? Because if so, that's a bit disappointing. I hope you guys one day find the answer I've been looking for: Who is stronger SSG or SSJ4 Gogeta.
Probably shouldn't hold your breath for that, since it's generally been quite rare for them to outright make such statements in the guide books. When it comes to characters like that, where there's no real way to compare their strength, they tend to keep comparisons vague.

Lord Gogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lord Gogeta » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:59 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:
Lord Gogeta wrote:
Probably shouldn't hold your breath for that, since it's generally been quite rare for them to outright make such statements in the guide books. When it comes to characters like that, where there's no real way to compare their strength, they tend to keep comparisons vague.
That's a damn shame, would'nt you like to now for sure ?

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:04 pm

Oh, part of me would like to definitively know, but I just know with the track record of the guide books, that statements related to character strength, when not something that's absolutely certain, tend to be overwhelmingly vague.

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:29 pm

There definitely has not been any statement in any current guidebook directly comparing Super Saiyan God to Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta or any other GT characters. Maybe there will be in a future guide, but as already said, I wouldn't expect it. I honestly think the closest thing we'll ever get to an official take on GT characters in comparison to SSG/Beerus etc is with the video games.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:01 pm

Herms wrote:There definitely has not been any statement in any current guidebook directly comparing Super Saiyan God to Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta or any other GT characters. Maybe there will be in a future guide, but as already said, I wouldn't expect it. I honestly think the closest thing we'll ever get to an official take on GT characters in comparison to SSG/Beerus etc is with the video games.
The only things I can think that may compare them are these:
  • Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z promotional stuff call Super Saiyan God as Goku's strongest form, which could mean that it's stronger than his Super Saiyan 4, or even Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta, since it can be considered a form of Goku. However, BoZ doesn't have SS4 Goku or Gogeta in the game, or any of the GT characters, so they may not be included in the statement.
  • Dragon Ball XenoVerse promotional stuff call SS4 Gogeta & Super Xi Xing Long the most powerful fighters in GT, not the most powerful fighters in the series, so take that as you will.
The Chozenshuu descriptions (SS4 surpasses SS3, while SSG far surpasses SS3) could be taken as an implication that SSG is stronger than SS4, but I don't think we should take this supposed implication as a fact.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:52 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote: [*]Dragon Ball XenoVerse promotional stuff call SS4 Gogeta & Super Xi Xing Long the most powerful fighters in GT, not the most powerful fighters in the series, so take that as you will.[/list]
One could potentially make the argument then that Ssj4 Gogeta's in-game statement in Xenoverse at the start of a fight against Beerus, which is "Maybe I can win against Lord Beerus now" could be used as evidence to show where Ssj4 Goku and Ssj God Goku stand in comparison to one another.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:02 am

Darkprince410 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote: [*]Dragon Ball XenoVerse promotional stuff call SS4 Gogeta & Super Xi Xing Long the most powerful fighters in GT, not the most powerful fighters in the series, so take that as you will.[/list]
One could potentially make the argument then that Ssj4 Gogeta's in-game statement in Xenoverse at the start of a fight against Beerus, which is "Maybe I can win against Lord Beerus now" could be used as evidence to show where Ssj4 Goku and Ssj God Goku stand in comparison to one another.
If this a statement in the series, it could be taken as SS4 Gogeta being stronger than SSG Goku, but not by much, since he isn't sure if he can beat Beerus. But this is a video-game, so I'm not sure if it can be taken seriously. But then again, if SS4 Gogeta was stronger in the XV writers' eyes, or if they didn't want to make any comparison, maybe they would have given him a more confident statement.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:57 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote: If this a statement in the series, it could be taken as SS4 Gogeta being stronger than SSG Goku, but not by much, since he isn't sure if he can beat Beerus. But this is a video-game, so I'm not sure if it can be taken seriously. But then again, if SS4 Gogeta was stronger in the XV writers' eyes, or if they didn't want to make any comparison, maybe they would have given him a more confident statement.
Well, I'm just saying if you're using Xenoverse promotional material as potential evidence, then having the in-game dialogue would probably fall under the same general category, that's all.