Herms' Guide Guide (Collection of Information Awesomeness)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Herms' Guide Guide (Collection of Information Awesomenes

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:39 am

DNA wrote:You use kind of a digital bookshelf. You never really "own" them, it's not like you can put those digital comics in a sd card and read them in your pc, for example.
That's the problem with a lot of digital services. Most of the time, you own the material you purchase...for as long as the service remains in business. It's one of the reasons I vastly prefer physical media. If one is smart though, you protect your investment when at all possible. In a case like this, though it can be tedious, you screenshot the hell out of all of the pages in the volume(s) as you read.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: Herms' Guide Guide (Collection of Information Awesomenes

Post by rereboy » Wed May 25, 2016 12:21 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote: That's the problem with a lot of digital services. Most of the time, you own the material you purchase...for as long as the service remains in business. It's one of the reasons I vastly prefer physical media. If one is smart though, you protect your investment when at all possible. In a case like this, though it can be tedious, you screenshot the hell out of all of the pages in the volume(s) as you read.
It's all a matter of price, really. As long as the price is right, it doesn't matter much. For example, if it's 3 times cheaper than physical media, the business could go under, you could buy it again from another business, that business could go under, and only at your third time you would have matched the price of the physical product. By that time, probably enough years would have passed to even make your physical product kind of old. If we are talking about something like a DVD, it might even be outdated (bluray). If it's a book, it probably will hold up better to the test of time, but even books have different, newer versions coming out, and they can get kind of damaged over the years.

Not to mention that it has specific advantages, like not taking up storage, and the ease to access.

That being said, if it's not significantly cheaper, I also prefer physical.

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Herms' Guide Guide (Collection of Information Awesomeness)

Post by Shoryuken » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:02 am

In your pronoun guide you mention that Kid Trunks uses boku, but doesn't he use ore for the most of the series, he certainly seems to do so in video games and in Dragon Ball Super. Also correct me if I am wrong, but during his confrontation with Muten Roushi, doesn't Piccolo Sr. refer to himself as oresama?
これはシグネチャではない
Personal blog - myriadleaves.eu

Speedster
Regular

Post by Speedster » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:50 pm

Herms - History of Ever guide wrote: December 24th, Age 762
The battle with Freeza
[Ref: Date from Daizenshuu 7. In Chapter 250 it says Goku will reach Namek in 6 days, so this is that long after the 18th. In Chapter 270, after Goku’s training scene, Freeza says that Zarbon has been gone for 4 days, and Kuririn says it’s been 4 days too, so this is also 4 days after the 20th. Goku healing for 40~50 minutes is from Chapter 291. These events occurring on Christmas Eve may be a reference to a short (5 panels) side manga by Toriyama featured in Weekly Jump No.3-4, 1991, which shows the characters celebrating Christmas in various ways, all where they would be during this point in the Namek/Freeza arc.
Actually it was featured in Weekly Jump No.3-4, 1990. Not 1991. By the way all these dates of events in the Namek and Saiyan arcs are derived relative to the battle of Goku with Freeza which supposedly takes place on Christmas eve (December 24th). And that because of that completely irrelevant to the story Christmas special which was published when the story was still in the fight of Vegeta with Dodoria! That was a major ASSumption by the Daizenshuu guys!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:50 pm

Forum posts are not official website sections, and have not been fact-checked and proofed by the rest of the staff.

Thanks for your incredibly polite response and note, though. We'll definitely take that into consideration.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Speedster
Regular

Post by Speedster » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:57 pm

Just to clarify (in case it wasn't clear) that my critical tone in my previous post was not about Herms or Kanzenshuu for the error in the publication year of the Christmas' Jump issue (that's just a human mistake/typo) but about the random assumptions made by Shueisha/Daizenshuu 7 in deriving the official timeline.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:29 pm

Bit of miscommunication both ways then. Sorry and thanks!
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:03 am

Speedster wrote:Actually it was featured in Weekly Jump No.3-4, 1990. Not 1991.
Hm, really? Your link doesn't seem to say anything about it, so where are you getting this information? I certainly could have made a typo when writing that, but I'd want confirmation before I change anything.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Speedster
Regular

Post by Speedster » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:32 am

Herms wrote:
Hm, really? Your link doesn't seem to say anything about it, so where are you getting this information? I certainly could have made a typo when writing that, but I'd want confirmation before I change anything.
Both 1990 and 1991 issues were published during the Namek/Freeza arc: the former with manga chapter 254 and the latter with chapter 306. However it is the Weekly Jump No. 3-4, 1990 (issue #1091) that features a cover showing the Dragonball characters dressed in Christmas clothes. Given its uniqueness I would think that the Christmas side-manga panels are inside this issue, instead of the Weekly Jump No. 3-4, 1991 (issue # 1991) which has nothing Christmas-related on it (picture-wise at least). But if that is not the case I stand to be corrected for correcting you incorrectly! Do you possess these Jump issues?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:12 pm

Speedster wrote:
Herms wrote:
Both 1990 and 1991 issues were published during the Namek/Freeza arc: the former with manga chapter 254 and the latter with chapter 306. However it is the Weekly Jump No. 3-4, 1990 (issue #1091) that features a cover showing the Dragonball characters dressed in Christmas clothes. Given its uniqueness I would think that the Christmas side-manga panels are inside this issue, instead of the Weekly Jump No. 3-4, 1991 (issue # 1991) which has nothing Christmas-related on it (picture-wise at least). But if that is not the case I stand to be corrected for correcting you incorrectly! Do you possess these Jump issues?
This is one of those times, I'm grateful I know exactly where to go to, to uncover the truth and provide scans from the databooks.
I knew fucking Daizenshuu 7(DB's encyclopedia at the time. Ah, if only we had an official wiki for the series!) would have it and here it is with the release date corresponding to Herms' claim.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:19 pm

My understanding now is that Speedster is making the claim/guess that it's a typo in the Daizenshuu listing.

We... probably have the actual issue in question...? One of us...? Maybe...?

Speedster
Regular

Post by Speedster » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:51 pm

The panels show Yamcha, Tenshinhan and Chiaotzu training on Kaio’s planet by playing hide and seek and Bulma watching TV on Namek awaiting the others. Now Yamcha, Tenshinhan and Chiaotzu (and Piccolo) were first revealed that they had arrived on Kaio’s planet in chapter 260 which is six chapters after chapter 254 (Weekly Jump No. 3-4, 1990) was released. That coupled with the absence of Piccolo in the Kaio's planet scene (although he might just didn't want to play the silly game) suggests that it was indeed in Weekly Jump No. 3-4, 1991 and not 1990.

By the way what does the text in these panels say? (Muten Roshi's in particular)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:51 am

Speedster wrote:Both 1990 and 1991 issues were published during the Namek/Freeza arc: the former with manga chapter 254 and the latter with chapter 306. However it is the Weekly Jump No. 3-4, 1990 (issue #1091) that features a cover showing the Dragonball characters dressed in Christmas clothes. Given its uniqueness I would think that the Christmas side-manga panels are inside this issue, instead of the Weekly Jump No. 3-4, 1991 (issue # 1991) which has nothing Christmas-related on it (picture-wise at least). But if that is not the case I stand to be corrected for correcting you incorrectly! Do you possess these Jump issues?
The comic in question was part of a year's end special feature showcasing several such short comics with characters from different Jump series, not just DB. In that context, you wouldn't actually expect the cover to be purely dominated by DB. Rather, you'd expect the cover to be crammed with characters from all sorts of different series...as the 1991 No.3-4 issue indeed is.
Speedster wrote:The panels show Yamcha, Tenshinhan and Chiaotzu training on Kaio’s planet by playing hide and seek and Bulma watching TV on Namek awaiting the others. Now Yamcha, Tenshinhan and Chiaotzu (and Piccolo) were first revealed that they had arrived on Kaio’s planet in chapter 260 which is six chapters after chapter 254 (Weekly Jump No. 3-4, 1990) was released. That coupled with the absence of Piccolo in the Kaio's planet scene (although he might just didn't want to play the silly game) suggests that it was indeed in Weekly Jump No. 3-4, 1991 and not 1990.
Yeah, when you actually look at the comic in question, the idea that it came out around the Dodoria fight seems like a real stretch.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:01 am

This may be a bit off topic, but where do you guys get the time and dedication to do this stuff?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:55 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:This may be a bit off topic, but where do you guys get the time and dedication to do this stuff?
All of us wish we had more.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:57 am

VegettoEX wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:This may be a bit off topic, but where do you guys get the time and dedication to do this stuff?
All of us wish we had more.
Ain't that the truth.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:17 pm

The images on the Son Goku clothes guide no longer works, and it has been like that for a long time. Any chance of it being updated ?

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:22 pm

Herms wrote:
Speedster wrote:Yeah, when you actually look at the comic in question, the idea that it came out around the Dodoria fight seems like a real stretch.
I had a question Herms....Can you give me the complete info [verbatim if possible] from the Daizenshuu on Mr. Popo and Kami, the god of earth he served?

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:16 am

Miracles wrote:I had a question Herms....Can you give me the complete info [verbatim if possible] from the Daizenshuu on Mr. Popo and Kami, the god of earth he served?
if you're referring to Daizenshuu 7's Character Dictionary, he translated it.
Daizenshuu 7: Character Dictionary wrote:Mister Popo
God’s attendant
History:His exact age is unknown, but he has lived for over 1,000 years.
First Appearance: chapter 163
Special Characteristics: A mysterious being who has served as the attendant to the Earth’s Gods since long, loo~oong ago, back before the time of the God who ultimately fused with Piccolo. He’s a martial arts master, and at first Goku was absolutely no match for him, even having defeated Piccolo. The way God makes his creations is that first Popo creates a model, which God then blows life into. To get around, he uses a flying carpet.
Techniques:Simply for training Goku, his specialty techniques are to erase his own ki, and sense his opponent’s ki.
Anime: When Goku came to the Heavenly Realm, Popo made a doll with Goku’s same appearance and abilities, to serve as his training partner (Daizenshuu 3, p.100). Before the battle with Vegeta, he sent Krillin and co. out on a journey through time, making them train with some Saiyans. In the Garlic Jr. arc, he poured the Super God Water down from the Divine Sage Realm, saving the Earth (Daizenshuu 5, p.40).
Daizenshuu 7: Character Dictionary wrote:God
A god who watched over the Earth
History:Born the child of a Dragon Clan Namekian, his real name is unknown. Around Age 250, due to a weather anomaly he escaped Planet Namek and came to Earth. After training as a martial artist, he apprenticed himself to the previous God, and succeeded in becoming the God of Earth after casting off the evil portions of himself. From then on he served as God of Earth until merging with Piccolo and abandoning his throne in Age 767.
First Appearance: chapter 164
Special Characteristics: As the god who governed Earth before Dende became God, he is the creator of the Earth’s dragonballs. He has a gentle heart, and Goku and his friends are indebted to him for training them and introducing them to Enma in the afterlife. Though he’s a Namekian who came to Earth long ago, he himself had forgotten who he was. Piccolo Daimao is the materialization of the evil heart which he expelled during his training before he became God, and because he himself would die if Piccolo were to be wiped out, he left this evil alone. (Daizenshuu 2, p.123, p.174/Daizenshuu 4, p.55)
Techniques:He can breathe a soul into Shenlong, create clothes, and travel between this world and the afterlife.
Battles: He tried to fight Ma Junior, but was stopped by Goku.
Tenkaichi Budoukai: He entered the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai as Shen, by borrowing an Earthling’s body. Though his goal was to defeat Ma Junior, he instead lost by being sealed within a bottle. (Daizenshuu 4, p.122)
Anime: The movie “Return My Gohan!” depicts his past where he contended with Garlic for the throne of God (Daizenshuu 6, p.44). In the Garlic Jr. arc he went into the Divine Sage Realm to spread the Super God Water and remove the effects of the Aqua Mist, but things got to be a mess when he ended up fighting the gods of past generations, who blocked his way for some reason. (Daizenshuu 5, p.42)

*God of the Previous Generation
The God of Earth prior to the God who was one with Piccolo Daimao.
History:He exists in the Divine Sage Realm, a place in the bottom of the Heavenly Realm where the graves of the gods of generations past are located. In the movies, he gained Garlic’s enmity when he didn’t give Garlic his position as god.
Special Characteristics: Being dead, he has no physical body. He appears as a shadow draped in a cloak and holding a staff.
Techniques: Electric shock. Changing his form to twine around his opponent, and removing their soul, etc.
Battles: He tried to remove God’s soul when he came to the Divine Sage Realm, perhaps because it is a sacred place. However, he seemed to forgive God, returning his soul to him and sending him from the bottom of the Heavenly Realm back to the surface. (Daizenshuu 5, p.42)

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:25 pm

Nejishiki wrote:
Miracles wrote:I had a question Herms....Can you give me the complete info [verbatim if possible] from the Daizenshuu on Mr. Popo and Kami, the god of earth he served?
if you're referring to Daizenshuu 7's Character Dictionary, he translated it.
Daizenshuu 7: Character Dictionary wrote:Mister Popo
God’s attendant
History:His exact age is unknown, but he has lived for over 1,000 years.
First Appearance: chapter 163
Special Characteristics: A mysterious being who has served as the attendant to the Earth’s Gods since long, loo~oong ago, back before the time of the God who ultimately fused with Piccolo. He’s a martial arts master, and at first Goku was absolutely no match for him, even having defeated Piccolo. The way God makes his creations is that first Popo creates a model, which God then blows life into. To get around, he uses a flying carpet.
Techniques:Simply for training Goku, his specialty techniques are to erase his own ki, and sense his opponent’s ki.
Anime: When Goku came to the Heavenly Realm, Popo made a doll with Goku’s same appearance and abilities, to serve as his training partner (Daizenshuu 3, p.100). Before the battle with Vegeta, he sent Krillin and co. out on a journey through time, making them train with some Saiyans. In the Garlic Jr. arc, he poured the Super God Water down from the Divine Sage Realm, saving the Earth (Daizenshuu 5, p.40).
Daizenshuu 7: Character Dictionary wrote:God
A god who watched over the Earth
History:Born the child of a Dragon Clan Namekian, his real name is unknown. Around Age 250, due to a weather anomaly he escaped Planet Namek and came to Earth. After training as a martial artist, he apprenticed himself to the previous God, and succeeded in becoming the God of Earth after casting off the evil portions of himself. From then on he served as God of Earth until merging with Piccolo and abandoning his throne in Age 767.
First Appearance: chapter 164
Special Characteristics: As the god who governed Earth before Dende became God, he is the creator of the Earth’s dragonballs. He has a gentle heart, and Goku and his friends are indebted to him for training them and introducing them to Enma in the afterlife. Though he’s a Namekian who came to Earth long ago, he himself had forgotten who he was. Piccolo Daimao is the materialization of the evil heart which he expelled during his training before he became God, and because he himself would die if Piccolo were to be wiped out, he left this evil alone. (Daizenshuu 2, p.123, p.174/Daizenshuu 4, p.55)
Techniques:He can breathe a soul into Shenlong, create clothes, and travel between this world and the afterlife.
Battles: He tried to fight Ma Junior, but was stopped by Goku.
Tenkaichi Budoukai: He entered the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai as Shen, by borrowing an Earthling’s body. Though his goal was to defeat Ma Junior, he instead lost by being sealed within a bottle. (Daizenshuu 4, p.122)
Anime: The movie “Return My Gohan!” depicts his past where he contended with Garlic for the throne of God (Daizenshuu 6, p.44). In the Garlic Jr. arc he went into the Divine Sage Realm to spread the Super God Water and remove the effects of the Aqua Mist, but things got to be a mess when he ended up fighting the gods of past generations, who blocked his way for some reason. (Daizenshuu 5, p.42)

*God of the Previous Generation
The God of Earth prior to the God who was one with Piccolo Daimao.
History:He exists in the Divine Sage Realm, a place in the bottom of the Heavenly Realm where the graves of the gods of generations past are located. In the movies, he gained Garlic’s enmity when he didn’t give Garlic his position as god.
Special Characteristics: Being dead, he has no physical body. He appears as a shadow draped in a cloak and holding a staff.
Techniques: Electric shock. Changing his form to twine around his opponent, and removing their soul, etc.
Battles: He tried to remove God’s soul when he came to the Divine Sage Realm, perhaps because it is a sacred place. However, he seemed to forgive God, returning his soul to him and sending him from the bottom of the Heavenly Realm back to the surface. (Daizenshuu 5, p.42)
Thank you.