Herms' Guide Guide (Collection of Information Awesomeness)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Re: Herms' Guide Guide (Collection of Information Awesomenes

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:07 pm

Teen GohanZ wrote:Do you think you would ever considering continuing with the "Viz translation review"? It's really interesting to see how much got lost, changed or even added (like Bulma's insults in the early chapters) by Viz. I'd understand if it's too much work, I just think it's a good way for non-Japanese readers to get the true intentions behind Toriyama's writing that can't be found elsewhere.

I 100% agree with this. Great idea.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:42 am

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:In the buu arc,especially In the anime it's shown buu is a weakling. He is only 2x the power o ssj2 gohan. 3x if you count when he ate dabura. We see gohan and gotenks and piccolo all standing no match for a shrunken goku and vegeta at ssj1's and base forms. Also the buu saga is the most inconsistent thing in dragonbal. all the plot holes of ball and GT and the first 13 films COMBINED don't add up to how weird the saga is.
If you exclude filler content, it's not anywhere near as "weird" as you claim it to be. It's when you try to incorporate the inconsistencies of filler that you get instances of Goku and Vegeta being able to hold off Gotenks and Gohan.

Also, nothing is expressly stated that the dial for Buu's ball was an indicator of his strength, so much as just the amount of ki needed to revive him. For all we know, given what's said, it could be the amount of ki needed to "jump start" him, and not indicative of his true power.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:35 am

Darkprince410 wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:In the buu arc,especially In the anime it's shown buu is a weakling. He is only 2x the power o ssj2 gohan. 3x if you count when he ate dabura. We see gohan and gotenks and piccolo all standing no match for a shrunken goku and vegeta at ssj1's and base forms. Also the buu saga is the most inconsistent thing in dragonbal. all the plot holes of ball and GT and the first 13 films COMBINED don't add up to how weird the saga is.
If you exclude filler content, it's not anywhere near as "weird" as you claim it to be. It's when you try to incorporate the inconsistencies of filler that you get instances of Goku and Vegeta being able to hold off Gotenks and Gohan.

Also, nothing is expressly stated that the dial for Buu's ball was an indicator of his strength, so much as just the amount of ki needed to revive him. For all we know, given what's said, it could be the amount of ki needed to "jump start" him, and not indicative of his true power.
I think you're reading to much into it. Also goku and vegeta>gohan and gotenks honestly. Even with the manga only used.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:06 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:
I think you're reading to much into it. Also goku and vegeta>gohan and gotenks honestly. Even with the manga only used.
Not to derail the topic or start up the debate again, but going by the manga, Goku and Vegeta pale in comparison to either of them. Enough evidence within the manga that even regular Ssj Gotenks was above Ssj3 Goku.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:47 pm

Herms, I might have a contribution for the Name Pun Guide.

In Movie 8 you have Moa (モア), who is the guy Paragus kills after he reveals to the audience he's waiting for the comet to come and destroy New Vegeta. While this doesn't give us a clue about the name origin, you asked in that thread for us to remind you who this guy was :P

Anyway, Heroes comes into play. There, they added Moa and one of the soldiers that were making the slaves work and then got scared off by Gohan and Kuririn. His name is Angol (アンゴル).

Now, if you join both names, you get Angolmois (アンゴルモア), which, supposedly, is a Great King that would have been ressurected by another Great King that came from the heavens to bring war, as predicted by Nostradamus. This might vary depending on translation and interpretation, of course.

So... he might be Mois? It kinda fits with the comet coming to destroy the planet and maybe with Koyama's interests.

Keroro Gunsou and other series also use this name.

Edit: Sorry, this has already been discussed. :oops:

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:27 pm

Hey, I have a request and I'm not too sure where to put it. I don't want to make a whole thread just for this one question so I figured this would be the place to put it, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

But can anybody source the guidebook(s) where it is mentioned that the Super Saiyan form draws out the latent power from within the user? I've been able to find this small quote about SSJ3, I believe it comes from Daizenshuu 7, it says "The strongest form of Super Saiya-jin, which draws the hidden power of a Saiya-jin out to its limits." But is there any source more deliberately stating that Super Saiyan works by drawing out a portion of the user's latent potential, or something like that? Basically any statement on where the new power actually comes from?

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:46 pm

Anyone have any supplemental info that tells us the time gap between the 21st TB and the Uranai Baba arc? It would be much appreciated.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:11 pm

You're already in the thread. Why didn't you just check the timeline guide?

The 21st Tenka'ichi Budokai is held on May 7th, AGE 750 and they end up at Uranai Baba's on May 12th.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:14 pm

Must've missed it. Thank you.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:03 am

nickzambuto wrote:Hey, I have a request and I'm not too sure where to put it. I don't want to make a whole thread just for this one question so I figured this would be the place to put it, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

But can anybody source the guidebook(s) where it is mentioned that the Super Saiyan form draws out the latent power from within the user? I've been able to find this small quote about SSJ3, I believe it comes from Daizenshuu 7, it says "The strongest form of Super Saiya-jin, which draws the hidden power of a Saiya-jin out to its limits." But is there any source more deliberately stating that Super Saiyan works by drawing out a portion of the user's latent potential, or something like that? Basically any statement on where the new power actually comes from?

I've always felt to get ot a new form you need emotion and to tape into latent powers, that's how it's always been when we see it.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:20 pm

nickzambuto wrote:But can anybody source the guidebook(s) where it is mentioned that the Super Saiyan form draws out the latent power from within the user? I've been able to find this small quote about SSJ3, I believe it comes from Daizenshuu 7, it says "The strongest form of Super Saiya-jin, which draws the hidden power of a Saiya-jin out to its limits." But is there any source more deliberately stating that Super Saiyan works by drawing out a portion of the user's latent potential, or something like that? Basically any statement on where the new power actually comes from?
The quote about Super Saiyan 3 is indeed from Daizenshuu 7, and Perfect Files have a similar quote about SS4 drawing out a Saiyan's latent power to its limit. In the main series there's the Elder Kaioshin's power-up, which draws out (supposedly) all of Gohan's dormant power and apparently gets rid of the need for him to become a Super Saiyan (but that's a whole different can of worms in itself). Offhand I don't think there's anything directly stating regular Super Saiyan draws out a specific portion of hidden power; it's just implied by those other things.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:54 pm

Herms wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:But can anybody source the guidebook(s) where it is mentioned that the Super Saiyan form draws out the latent power from within the user? I've been able to find this small quote about SSJ3, I believe it comes from Daizenshuu 7, it says "The strongest form of Super Saiya-jin, which draws the hidden power of a Saiya-jin out to its limits." But is there any source more deliberately stating that Super Saiyan works by drawing out a portion of the user's latent potential, or something like that? Basically any statement on where the new power actually comes from?
The quote about Super Saiyan 3 is indeed from Daizenshuu 7, and Perfect Files have a similar quote about SS4 drawing out a Saiyan's latent power to its limit. In the main series there's the Elder Kaioshin's power-up, which draws out (supposedly) all of Gohan's dormant power and apparently gets rid of the need for him to become a Super Saiyan (but that's a whole different can of worms in itself).
Goku specifically asks EK if it's just another "draw out your dormant power to its limits" power-up, and EK corrects him by saying what it actually does is draw someone's dormant power way beyond its limits.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

VegetaSSJG

Post by VegetaSSJG » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:49 am

About the "Human Condition" guide,I think the problem is that fans generally apply the biological definition of "human" in the DBZ world.Whereas in the Japanese language,the word "human" itself is a very generic term,one that can be used to describe anything with human characteristics(morality,emotions,thought,etc)

So really,you can't say fans that say "Saiyans aren't human" are completely wrong.It depends on how you look at it and what definition you are basing it on,imo.
(I know my profile picture doesn't match my account name, now go away)

My pages-YouTube, Tumblr, DeviantArt, Twitter:
https://elink.io/p/booyacy

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:36 am

Herms,don't you think you should add your translation for Daizenshuu 7 : Character Dictionary ?

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:58 pm

Where do you have those Dragon Ball's manga? In your computer/tablet?

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:37 am

ahill1 wrote:Where do you have those Dragon Ball's manga? In your computer/tablet?
He bought them. Like many of us did.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:00 am

DNA wrote:
ahill1 wrote:Where do you have those Dragon Ball's manga? In your computer/tablet?
You can also buy digital versions of the manga.

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:08 pm

DNA wrote:
But I think you can also buy digital versions of the manga.

When do you buy the Viz manga, do you receive the concrete manga or is all digital?

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:42 pm

ahill1 wrote:
DNA wrote:
But I think you can also buy digital versions of the manga.

When do you buy the Viz manga, do you receive the concrete manga or is all digital?
You use kind of a digital bookshelf. You never really "own" them, it's not like you can put those digital comics in a sd card and read them in your pc, for example.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:35 pm

Shouldn't you add this to the guide as well Herms?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.