Saiyan Payment?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

missyv

Saiyan Payment?

Post by missyv » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:37 am

I was wondering what form of payment Freeza would give to his "workers" when they did their planet destroying?
Money? Or the joy of not being killed ?
Somehow i can't picture Vegeta going shopping with his spending money. :D

jda95
Advanced Regular

Re: Saiyan Payment?

Post by jda95 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:42 am

I think Freeza would have paid them. But as seen from the Bardock special, they probably just blow it all in Saiyan bars. :lol:

missyv

Post by missyv » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:50 am

But what about after Freeza blow's up planet Vegeta? Do you think it would have been the same...?

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:57 am

I always figured that Freeza gave his employers stock in his galactic empire (That is, they could own portions of the planets he conquered). Many of Freeza's henchmen seemed too zealous and fond of their leader to be operating under nothing but the fear of death.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:06 am

missyv wrote:But what about after Freeza blow's up planet Vegeta? Do you think it would have been the same...?
What do you mean? They would have got paid for death? I am confused.

missyv

Post by missyv » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:11 am

jda95 wrote:
missyv wrote:But what about after Freeza blow's up planet Vegeta? Do you think it would have been the same...?
No lol, i meant that they can't go to saiyan bars when there are no saiyan bars to go to.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:14 am

Saiyans have an aversion to alcohol. You remember when Goku refused to drink that beer while on the way to Namek, opting for a sports drink instead? Their instincts cause them to avoid alcohol or any other substance which might impair their fighting abilities. So, there won't be any Saiyan bars unless they're going there to drink juice or something.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:38 am

Dr. Casey wrote:Their instincts cause them to avoid alcohol
Alcohol isn't a naturally-occurring substance. Instincts wouldn't develop to include it.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:29 am

Rocketman wrote:
Ethanol isn't a naturally-occurring substance. Instincts wouldn't develop to include it.
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:49 pm

missyv wrote:
jda95 wrote:
No lol, i meant that they can't go to saiyan bars when there are no saiyan bars to go to.
Radditz, Vegeta and Nappa were essentially refugees, so that added to the few and simple desires of Saiyans tells me they were most likely paid via free equipment (scouters, armor, uniforms, saiyan pods), food, and lodging.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:34 pm

Dayspring wrote:
missyv wrote:
jda95 wrote: What do you mean? They would have got paid for death? I am confused.
Radditz, Vegeta and Nappa were essentially refugees, so that added to the few and simple desires of Saiyans tells me they were most likely paid via free equipment (scouters, armor, uniforms, saiyan pods), food, and lodging.
I agree, in the anime, we see that the Saiyans sought technology that would assist them in their pursuit of battle. In the Pendulum Room filler scene, we see a trashed out planet Vegeta most likely following one of or the last Saiyan Civil Wars and then later during the Bardock TV Special they had adapted Freeza Planet architecture and technology. Therefore, their payment was anything that would assist them in seeking out battles and things that would make the process easier.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:50 pm

jda95:
I think Freeza would have paid them. But as seen from the Bardock special, they probably just blow it all in Saiyan bars. :lol:
Not to mention on food too.

Dr. Casey:
Saiyans have an aversion to alcohol. You remember when Goku refused to drink that beer while on the way to Namek, opting for a sports drink instead? Their instincts cause them to avoid alcohol or any other substance which might impair their fighting abilities. So, there won't be any Saiyan bars unless they're going there to drink juice or something.
I think not.
Last edited by SaiyaMel on Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just Saiyan...

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:55 pm

They probably also did trades for agricultural and slavery needs, again working with the "simplify everything to focus on fighting" theme. Need a shitload of food but have nobody to grow it because they're all in the army? Payment = said food. Want janitorial and architectural work done in the palace but have nobody to do it? Payment = send a bunch of servants and/or slaves to work on planet Vegeta for X years.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:05 pm

Dayspring wrote:They probably also did trades for agricultural and slavery needs, again working with the "simplify everything to focus on fighting" theme. Need a shitload of food but have nobody to grow it because they're all in the army? Payment = said food. Want janitorial and architectural work done in the palace but have nobody to do it? Payment = send a bunch of servants and/or slaves to work on planet Vegeta for X years.
Well we did see many fodder soldiers and other aliens associated with Freeza’s Empire around like that doctor person in my avatar. I am pretty sure other aliens were provided to take care of the Saiyans other needs like food and maintenance. The only thing that we know that the Saiyans handled themselves was research and development for military weaponry. The Daizenshuu states that it was Saiyan scientists that created the Cultivars/Saibaimen.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:51 pm

Dr. Casey wrote:Saiyans have an aversion to alcohol. You remember when Goku refused to drink that beer while on the way to Namek, opting for a sports drink instead? Their instincts cause them to avoid alcohol or any other substance which might impair their fighting abilities. So, there won't be any Saiyan bars unless they're going there to drink juice or something.
So....that scene in the Bardock Special where Bardock goes to try and warn the others about Freeza coming took place at Chuck E. Cheese's? :?
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:53 pm

I'm assuming it was some sort of alien currency. Raditz says "profit" but that could be anything.

I'm not sure what money would be needed for, though. All the aliens in Dragon Ball do is kill each other for what they want.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Kroni_Hunter
Regular

Post by Kroni_Hunter » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:56 pm

The Saiyan's didn't care about ownership or stocks or money for that matter. They worked for Frieza for 3 reasons.
1. Frieza would have killed them otherwise
2. Frieza provided them with technology and other necessities to continue their fighting obsession.
3. (In Vegeta's case)It allowed him to keep his enemy close until the time came to strike against him.
"An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world; a pessimest fears that this is true."

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:45 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Alcohol isn't a naturally-occurring substance. Instincts wouldn't develop to include it.
So you're saying that the fermenting of fruit is not a natural occurring event then? Interesting, that's news to me.

On a serious note, I think you should do some research before you post your "scientific facts".

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:00 pm

Kroni_Hunter wrote:The Saiyan's didn't care about ownership or stocks or money for that matter. They worked for Freeza for 3 reasons.
1. Freeza would have killed them otherwise
2. Freeza provided them with technology and other necessities to continue their fighting obsession.
3. (In Vegeta's case)It allowed him to keep his enemy close until the time came to strike against him.
I think the currency would have to be #2 for the Saiyans. As long as Freeza and his empire would support their lives (you know, taking care of such things as food, shelter... normal stuff), they'd be happy to just go to fights all over the Universe. It'd have to be a dream come true for the Saiyans to fight strong beings all over the Universe wouldn't it?
It's all GOOD

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:21 pm

Countries don't deal in JUST currencies, they deal mostly in goods and services WORTH that amount of currency. EX: "You owe us $520 Million. We have a grain shortage. You're the #1 supplier of the world's grain, so pay us back in $20 Million and $500 Million worth of grain."

Most likely SOME currency is given to Saiyans (as is seen in some filler-flashbacks during the Saiyan saga), but most likely something of universal intrinsic value (like gold coins, also seen in the filler-flashback) as opposed to paper money. Even then, probably just so they can spend it offworld and acquire small-time goods (like beer) on their homeworld.