Let's Appreciate the Faulconer Score

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Let's Appreciate the Faulconer Score

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:18 pm

I feel like the Faulconer music gets way too much flack among the elitist Dragon Ball fans. I mean some of these tracks are just phenomenal, and they capture an aspect of the series and characters that is unique from what the Japanese score succeeds in. Not every track is out of place or unfitting like some people claim, for instance;

Perfect Cell's theme-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpkeAQG6kQw
This theme encapsulates several aspects of Cell's character, particularly in his Perfect form. The slow buildup with those sound effects instills a sense of mystery and dread, with the sudden base sound effects dropping (I don't know anything about instruments so I'm not sure how to properly describe the DUNDUNs. You know what I'm talking about) giving the impression of a horror. Like something is coming, and it's dangerous.

The tension and dread continues to build up as the sound continues, until finally that techno beat hits. But this isn't a generic unfitting techno beat like many claim, this sound is still keeping the fearfulness and mystery, but now the music suddenly becomes synthesized and technological as well.

Cell is a monster. He is an artificial being, created with possessing the ultimate, unstoppable power. The feelings that this theme conjures up in me, personally, are those of something monstrous and evil, hunting and following, but possessing tremendous power, and the theme also reminds you that this monster is an android. It's just a spectacular mix of two different tones if you ask me, and REALLY fun to listen to. To my memory this theme rarely played within the show proper, I only discovered it some time later while browsing YouTube videos, meaning I am not simply blinded by nostalgia when I say that listening to this theme absolutely SCREAMS Perfect Cell to me.

Gohan's Anger-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmU9e67EfmI

And who CAN'T love Gohan's Anger? How can anybody POSSIBLY say this theme does not capture everything about Gohan, his character, his history and development, all culminating in his fight with Cell? The theme is gentle, but powerful - not unlike Gohan himself. And it will suddenly explode at points when the guitar kicks in - that is Gohan's anger right there.

To me, this theme says, "This is it. Everything has led up to this, after everything we've been through, Gohan's emotions explode and he achieves his destiny. Gohan becomes the mightiest warrior in the universe, but his emotions are still guiding him. He is still Gohan, but now he has become unbeatable."

Gogeta's Theme-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQAfdeffrvM

This is an underrated one. Like with Cell's theme it starts off slow, but it inspires a completely different tone. This one is a lot harder for me to describe, but it gives me the strongest feelings and the clearest image of what it is portraying - the godliest, most unstoppable power has been formed. Now it is time. Time for what exactly? I haven't a clue. But this theme exactly describes what the fusion of Goku and Vegeta would be like.

I have to say that, regardless of your thoughts on the characters, if we're talking about music Gogeta's theme takes a dump on Vegetto's. It conjures a true godly feeling of ultimate power, something new that that has never been witnessed before, the two strongest warriors fusing makes a warrior who is completely unstoppable. Vegetto's theme just sounds like Faulconer was drunk when he composed it.

Vegeta's Theme is another that perfectly defines its character. The theme sounds like destruction, and pure malevolence. But the dings in the background (what is that a piano?) is enough to give it an elegance, it inspires an image of royalty in my head. Fitting for a dark prince. The destruction isn't chaotic like Boo's theme, it's calm and cool, but possesses the same pure evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M954D_jyJbQ

Vegeta's Super Saiyan theme is the same way. Think of it this way; Goku was the TRUE Super Saiyan. It was his destiny to rise among his people and claim that birthright. That's why his theme becomes smooth after initially beginning with a callback to Goku's childlike and innocent nature. With Goku's theme starting out that way and then going into the mystical, badass Super Saiyan tones, it tells us that Goku is losing innocence, the days of the lovable monkey tailed boy are gone -- now he has become the Super Saiyan, mightiest warrior in the universe. The theme speaks of "fate" and "destiny", Goku has changed. The FUNi dub might not have included the correct "I Am" speech, but damn if this theme isn't a good substitute to flat out screaming "I am Son Goku, the Super Saiyan!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU5EMlT3Uzw

Compare this with Vegeta. He was NOT the legendary Super Saiyan, he was NOT meant to ascend and that was NOT his destiny. Vegeta basically just forced the transformation onto himself through sheer force of will, his theme is a twisted version of the godliness and mysticism that Goku's theme possesses. Like, this is unnatural, this is not supposed to be real, yet here it is. And it retains the malevolence and elegance of his normal theme, as if saying "The Prince of all Saiyans has returned! Now I have achieved the godly power too and I have become the strongest!" It reminds me of one of my favorite lines, when Krillin says "Wait, I thought you had to be pure of heart to become a Super Saiyan?" And Vegeta explains that he was able to transform because he is pure EVIL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lGuDTRilKQ

What are some of your favorite Faulconer tracks? Any opinions on the supposed rightful credit debate on whether Bruce Faulconer is actually the man behind these themes, or if it was really guys like Mike Smith?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Let's Appreciate the Faulconer Score

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:30 pm

The various Buu themes make up a leitmotif that I feel is the best in the dub.

Also, this should be in the Music subforum.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:33 pm

There are individual themes that I like and maybe even think fits, but overall, the score doesn't fit DBZ. I don't feel that DBZ is so disconnected from its roots that it justifies a wholesale change of score, and I find it mostly cheap and hollow.

Regarding the issue of who to credit, I hope whoever wrote the music gets proper credit, but I don't care enough to get upset about it. When I write Falconer, I'm talking about the studio or the individually because I don't know or care enough to be specific about who wrote the tracks.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:07 pm

ABED wrote:There are individual themes that I like and maybe even think fits, but overall, the score doesn't fit DBZ. I don't feel that DBZ is so disconnected from its roots that it justifies a wholesale change of score, and I find it mostly cheap and hollow.

Regarding the issue of who to credit, I hope whoever wrote the music gets proper credit, but I don't care enough to get upset about it. When I write Falconer, I'm talking about the studio or the individually because I don't know or care enough to be specific about who wrote the tracks.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Everything here is exactly how I feel.

Now don't me wrong, nickzambuto, I know what you mean by an "elitist" attitude: I too am annoyed by the elitist attitude that I see every once in a while, and I never look down upon somebody for having a different opinion than mine. However, there's a difference between being an elitist and simply preferring one thing over the other. I don't begrudge anybody for liking the Faulconer score, but at the same time, I don't think it's that good, and it sounds even worse when put up against Dragon Ball Z's visuals...the two just don't mesh most of the time, in my opinion.

Furthering the problem is that the placement is often inappropriate. I would actually point to Goku's Super Saiyan theme you listed as being an excellent example of this. His transformation was not supposed to be a "badass," or "heroic," or a "the chosen one has come"-type moment (although one could argue that that's exactly what his "I Am" speech was supposed to be), it was meant to be a rather terrifying moment. In that moment, something is overcoming Goku that he can't control. He learns to control it later, of course, but in the moment when he becomes a Super Saiyan for the first time, it's almost Hulk-like (as in the green giant, not the pro wrestler) in how he unwittingly achieves a greater power by letting his anger consume him. His ascension to Super Saiyan was not a choice, it was a natural but involuntary reaction. And remember, we know the blonde hair and green eyes as being the marks of a Super Saiyan now...but back when it was first happened, it was not meant to be so clear. It was more of a, "What the hell's happening to good ol' Goku?"-type moment. In Kikuchi's DBZ score and both of Kai's scores, that feeling is appropriately communicated.

I also happen to think that Faulconer's score overall sounds very dated, even more so than Kikuchi's score. That's the good thing about orchestral music--it's the one genre of music (other than singing, perhaps) that has stood the test of time for literally centuries.

Now, credit where credit's due...I think that Faulconer probably did the best job out of all the replacement scores that the Dragon Ball animes have received. At least some of his tunes are memorable. Levy, Menza, and Johnson's scores all kind of blur together for me, and unlike any of those scores, I can actually hum two or three tunes from Faulconer's score.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:22 pm

For the record, the Gogeta theme wasn't made by Faulconer.

As I mentioned in my topic, these are my favorite tracks from Faulconer:
1. Gohan Angers
2. Episodic Trunks
3. Pikkon Theme
4. Gohan Powers Up
5. Super Saiyan Transformation

Honorable mentions: Hell's Bells, SSJ3 theme, Heroic Trunks, Ginyu theme, Super Buu theme, Perfect Cell theme, SSJ Vegeta theme, Vegeta Knows His Son, Time Chamber, Droids vs Bikers, Goku's Sacrifice, and the list goes on and on.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Furthering the problem is that the placement is often inappropriate. I would actually point to Goku's Super Saiyan theme you listed as being an excellent example of this. His transformation was not supposed to be a "badass," or "heroic," or a "the chosen one has come"-type moment (although one could argue that that's exactly what his "I Am" speech was supposed to be), it was meant to be a rather terrifying moment.
Honestly, this is up for interpretation. This SSJ form is foreshadowed earlier in the arc, and in this scene, the chosen one really has come. Faulconer's theme as he is transforming perfectly captures the mystery of the form, imo. It's how the music changes after he goes blond that comes across as "badass." And hell, it is.
I also happen to think that Faulconer's score overall sounds very dated, even more so than Kikuchi's score. That's the good thing about orchestral music--it's the one genre of music (other than singing, perhaps) that has stood the test of time for literally centuries.
I'm sure any music critic would probably agree with you. However, I heard Kikuchi's score before I ever heard Faulconer (i.e. prior to season 3 of the dub). I figured the soundtrack was like that because of how old the Japanese version of the show was. Funi and Ocean's soundtrack felt much more modern.

Likewise, when I was little, I thought Tenchi in Tokyo was a much older series than the other two ones that aired before it because of the music. I just recently found out Kikuchi composed it.

His style is so '60's to me. Not my cup of tea. Though there are several gems I do really like, and his overall OST is recognizable.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:04 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Furthering the problem is that the placement is often inappropriate. I would actually point to Goku's Super Saiyan theme you listed as being an excellent example of this. His transformation was not supposed to be a "badass," or "heroic," or a "the chosen one has come"-type moment (although one could argue that that's exactly what his "I Am" speech was supposed to be), it was meant to be a rather terrifying moment.
Honestly, this is up for interpretation. This SSJ form is foreshadowed earlier in the arc, and in this scene, the chosen one really has come. Faulconer's theme as he is transforming perfectly captures the mystery of the form, imo. It's how the music changes after he goes blond that comes across as "badass." And hell, it is.
It certainly is up for interpretation in some respects, but I prefer the interpretation that Toei and Toriyama came up with. Firstly because it was closer to the vision of the original creators, secondly because I find it more interesting regardless of that fact, and thirdly because Faulconer's score didn't really mesh with the scene. It's only "badass" if the characters around understand what happened, and initially, they don't.

It's not really supposed to hit home that Goku's transformation is necessarily a good thing until a little while later. Notice that when Goku becomes a Super Saiyan for the first time, Gohan has a terrified look on his face. He has no idea what the hell just happened, and is frightened almost beyond speaking, he's not jubilant or happy about this at all. On top of that, the first thing Goku says after the transformation is an angry order (not a gentle request, but an angry order) for Gohan to leave, even following it up with "Go now, before I lose what little sense of reason I have left!" So Faulconer's somewhat heroic, "the chosen one has arrived"-type music doesn't really match any of the facial expressions or words of the characters, in my observation.

The first half of Faulconer's theme--which is to say, before Goku's hair finally becomes blonde--does have a sense of mystery, but it's more a sense of intruging mystery, like something good is about to happen. Conversely, the Japanese scores seem to indicate a more scary mystery, which pairs very effectively with what's happening at the moment. From a certain angle, it's kind of badass that Goku is transforming into the Super Saiyan who will ultimately defeat Freeza, but that's not info that's supposed to be known at that time. As such, it's emphasizing the wrong emotions, in my opinion. The Japanese scores communicated the feelings that the characters were feeling in that moment, but it seems the Faulconer score communicated the feelings that FUNimation was hoping the viewers would have. Put another way, I feel like the Japanese scores were in sync with what was going on on screen, whereas with Faulconer's score, I feel like FUNimation is breaking the fourth wall and saying to the viewers, "Aaaalll right, he's gonna do it, he's gonna go Super Saiyan kids, isn't it cool!? Please keep watching the show, we've been cancelled twice and we may not get another shot at this!"

For that reason, it just takes me out of the moment, that's all. *Shrug*
fadeddreams5 wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:I also happen to think that Faulconer's score overall sounds very dated, even more so than Kikuchi's score. That's the good thing about orchestral music--it's the one genre of music (other than singing, perhaps) that has stood the test of time for literally centuries.
I'm sure any music critic would probably agree with you. However, I heard Kikuchi's score before I ever heard Faulconer (i.e. prior to season 3 of the dub). I figured the soundtrack was like that because of how old the Japanese version of the show was. Funi and Ocean's soundtrack felt much more modern.

Likewise, when I was little, I thought Tenchi in Tokyo was a much older series than the other two ones that aired before it because of the music. I just recently found out Kikuchi composed it.

His style is so '60's to me. Not my cup of tea. Though there are several gems I do really like, and his overall OST is recognizable.
I would agree with this. I think Faulconer's score is more dated by comparison, but Kikuchi's still feels somewhat dated. This is particularly evident when it's put up against the other Japanese scores that have come out. I mean, with Kenji Yamamoto's score--well, OK, one of the problems is that his score is not technically his score, but you know what I mean--the music felt modern, like what you'd hear in....heheh.....Hollywood movies. :lol:

Part of me wonders if that's Kikuchi's style or the orchestra he was dealing with, though. His score didn't sound like it was recorded by a particularly big orchestra.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:33 pm

I enjoy a lot of Faulconer Productions' music and I like watching the dub with that music. However, there are some problems:

1.) Mickey-mousing (a result of wall-to-wall music)
I know this was mandated by FUNimation, but it can be quite off-putting. Like when something funny happens, the music has to quickly play something "silly" as if to let the audience know that they now have permission to laugh. The music should be enhancing the scene, not spoon-feeding us the emotions we should be feeling.

2.) Repetitive notes
Some of the themes have a sequence of notes that play over and over again. They seem almost like unfinished compositions. Take the Dragon Theme. It's catchy, sure. But after the 15 second mark, it just gets so repetitive. Like the same few notes on the guitar are playing over and over again.

My theory is that this was done so that different themes could be seamlessly strung together to create a piece that fit the scene. Kind of like a Build-a-Bear workshop, but for music....so a Build-a-dbz-theme workshop. If the individual themes were too complicated, this would be tough to do. But they're instead like LEGO blocks (sorry about all the analogies haha); individually the themes are simple. But when combined with others in unique ways, they can be pretty cool. Take Kid Buu's death scene for example. There are segments of multiple themes strung together to make a pretty cool moment. I've also kind of realized that this is exactly what I was criticizing about the mickey-mousing since the music quickly changes from theme to theme depending on what we're seeing, but I think it actually works well here since it's more of a tense fast-paced scene.

And although I've criticized a lot of the themes for being too simple and repetitive, I don't think they're all like that. There are a good handful that seem complete and actually have enough variety to have a beginning, middle, and end. Ginyu Transformation and Pikkon's Theme come to mind.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:46 pm

I said it before, and I'll say it again. The only bad thing about Faulconer's score is that it didn't know when. To. STOP! And be silent during certain scenes.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:09 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:For the record, the Gogeta theme wasn't made by Faulconer.
You mean it wasn't Bruce Faulconer himself who composed it, or it was a different company all together? If the former, when I type "Faulconer" I am referring to the studio as a whole, Mike Smith and all them included. If the latter, I'm gonna be surprised and rather disappointed.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
ABED wrote:There are individual themes that I like and maybe even think fits, but overall, the score doesn't fit DBZ. I don't feel that DBZ is so disconnected from its roots that it justifies a wholesale change of score, and I find it mostly cheap and hollow.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Everything here is exactly how I feel.

Now don't me wrong, nickzambuto, I know what you mean by an "elitist" attitude: I too am annoyed by the elitist attitude that I see every once in a while, and I never look down upon somebody for having a different opinion than mine. However, there's a difference between being an elitist and simply preferring one thing over the other. I don't begrudge anybody for liking the Faulconer score, but at the same time, I don't think it's that good, and it sounds even worse when put up against Dragon Ball Z's visuals...the two just don't mesh most of the time, in my opinion.

Furthering the problem is that the placement is often inappropriate. I would actually point to Goku's Super Saiyan theme you listed as being an excellent example of this. His transformation was not supposed to be a "badass," or "heroic," or a "the chosen one has come"-type moment (although one could argue that that's exactly what his "I Am" speech was supposed to be), it was meant to be a rather terrifying moment. In that moment, something is overcoming Goku that he can't control. He learns to control it later, of course, but in the moment when he becomes a Super Saiyan for the first time, it's almost Hulk-like (as in the green giant, not the pro wrestler) in how he unwittingly achieves a greater power by letting his anger consume him. His ascension to Super Saiyan was not a choice, it was a natural but involuntary reaction. And remember, we know the blonde hair and green eyes as being the marks of a Super Saiyan now...but back when it was first happened, it was not meant to be so clear. It was more of a, "What the hell's happening to good ol' Goku?"-type moment. In Kikuchi's DBZ score and both of Kai's scores, that feeling is appropriately communicated.

Now, credit where credit's due...I think that Faulconer probably did the best job out of all the replacement scores that the Dragon Ball animes have received. At least some of his tunes are memorable. Levy, Menza, and Johnson's scores all kind of blur together for me, and unlike any of those scores, I can actually hum two or three tunes from Faulconer's score.
I see what you're saying here and I definitely appreciate the input. To be clear, this thread was not meant to be a statement that the Kikuchi score is bad, or even that they are both good but the Faulconer score is better; I was just saying that the Faulconer score is good in its own right. I do enjoy the differing emotions and tones the two scores can conjure up in the same scene, as you are describing with the Super Saiyan transformation. Regardless of which tone you prefer, that of "the chosen one has arrived" or "something terrifying and unknown is happening to Goku in his rage" I think it's really cool how we Dragon Ball fans get to experience BOTH, and it's differing things like that which has allowed the series to live this long and for discussions between fans to always remain fresh, I hope I'm making sense.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:46 am

nickzambuto wrote: You mean it wasn't Bruce Faulconer himself who composed it, or it was a different company all together? If the former, when I type "Faulconer" I am referring to the studio as a whole, Mike Smith and all them included. If the latter, I'm gonna be surprised and rather disappointed.
I believe it was Nathan Johnson who scored that movie and so he made that Gogeta theme.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:06 pm

thaman91 wrote:
nickzambuto wrote: You mean it wasn't Bruce Faulconer himself who composed it, or it was a different company all together? If the former, when I type "Faulconer" I am referring to the studio as a whole, Mike Smith and all them included. If the latter, I'm gonna be surprised and rather disappointed.
I believe it was Nathan Johnson who scored that movie and so he made that Gogeta theme.
And he was not a part of Faulconer's studio?

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:18 pm

nickzambuto wrote: And he was not a part of Faulconer's studio?
Nope, he was the guy FUNi brought in to score the in house re-dub of Seasons 1 and 2. He also scored some of the movies (Fusion Reborn, Wrath of the Dragon, and some others I think). He wasn't associated with Faulconer in any way.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:37 pm

thaman91 wrote:
nickzambuto wrote: And he was not a part of Faulconer's studio?
Nope, he was the guy FUNi brought in to score the in house re-dub of Seasons 1 and 2. He also scored some of the movies (Fusion Reborn, Wrath of the Dragon, and some others I think). He wasn't associated with Faulconer in any way.
Darn, that's one point against my argument. All well, I congratulate Nathan Johnson on a badass theme in that case.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:17 pm

nickzambuto wrote:I do enjoy the differing emotions and tones the two scores can conjure up in the same scene, as you are describing with the Super Saiyan transformation. Regardless of which tone you prefer, that of "the chosen one has arrived" or "something terrifying and unknown is happening to Goku in his rage" I think it's really cool how we Dragon Ball fans get to experience BOTH, and it's differing things like that which has allowed the series to live this long and for discussions between fans to always remain fresh, I hope I'm making sense.
You're absolutely making sense! And I agree, Faulconer's score isn't nearly as big a problem with me as it used to be, back when listening to the dub with the original score was not an option. Now that it is, I do think it's cool that fans can experience the English dub in a multitude of ways. At times it can be a tad frustrating, because some fans are so in love with that score and that dub's inaccuracies that they refuse to consider the newer stuff (which is dubbed faithfully this time around and with the original music), but that's more a problem with stubborn fans than a problem with the alternative musical score. I totally agree with you about how cool it is that we have the option to experience something in two different ways...that's one of the reasons, after all, that I love the Sonic CD release that came out a few years ago, which included both the original Japanese score and the revised North American score.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:12 pm

Thanks! Just a couple corrections:
nickzambuto wrote:I feel like the Faulconer music gets way too much flack among the elitist Dragon Ball fans. I mean some of these tracks are just phenomenal, and they capture an aspect of the series and characters that is unique from what the Japanese score succeeds in. Not every track is out of place or unfitting like some people claim, for instance;

Perfect Cell's theme-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpkeAQG6kQw
This theme encapsulates several aspects of Cell's character, particularly in his Perfect form. The slow buildup with those sound effects instills a sense of mystery and dread, with the sudden base sound effects dropping (I don't know anything about instruments so I'm not sure how to properly describe the DUNDUNs. You know what I'm talking about) giving the impression of a horror. Like something is coming, and it's dangerous.

The tension and dread continues to build up as the sound continues, until finally that techno beat hits. But this isn't a generic unfitting techno beat like many claim, this sound is still keeping the fearfulness and mystery, but now the music suddenly becomes synthesized and technological as well.

Cell is a monster. He is an artificial being, created with possessing the ultimate, unstoppable power. The feelings that this theme conjures up in me, personally, are those of something monstrous and evil, hunting and following, but possessing tremendous power, and the theme also reminds you that this monster is an android. It's just a spectacular mix of two different tones if you ask me, and REALLY fun to listen to. To my memory this theme rarely played within the show proper, I only discovered it some time later while browsing YouTube videos, meaning I am not simply blinded by nostalgia when I say that listening to this theme absolutely SCREAMS Perfect Cell to me.
Just FYI, this version wasn't made by Faulconer Productions. It's a fan remix.
These are the two versions Mike made at FP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zefLAYM7XQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIgLSNY5PDQ
Gogeta's Theme-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQAfdeffrvM

This is an underrated one. Like with Cell's theme it starts off slow, but it inspires a completely different tone. This one is a lot harder for me to describe, but it gives me the strongest feelings and the clearest image of what it is portraying - the godliest, most unstoppable power has been formed. Now it is time. Time for what exactly? I haven't a clue. But this theme exactly describes what the fusion of Goku and Vegeta would be like.

I have to say that, regardless of your thoughts on the characters, if we're talking about music Gogeta's theme takes a dump on Vegetto's. It conjures a true godly feeling of ultimate power, something new that that has never been witnessed before, the two strongest warriors fusing makes a warrior who is completely unstoppable. Vegetto's theme just sounds like Faulconer was drunk when he composed it.
This track is by Nathan Johnson. I finally tracked it down ^^ He scored the movie it came from. People often credit it to Menza apparently (it sounds like something Menza might have done). It's definitely different sounds than FP used. (lol and I now I see this has already been brought up)
Any opinions on the supposed rightful credit debate on whether Bruce Faulconer is actually the man behind these themes, or if it was really guys like Mike Smith?
I'm the primary one who's been spreading the word about this since 2007 so you can guess my stance. :) I'll spare you my passionate speech. Basically, I was there and participated. I know what I know like I know the sky is blue and the grass is green.
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

T Pac
Not-So-Newbie

Post by T Pac » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:19 pm

I agree with the OP. The composition, imo, of a lot of the Faulconer score is excellent. As mentioned, I'm quite surprised as to how well the themes/leitmotifs fit in with various characters and situations, which speaks to the team actually doing a lot of research into the story and characters. Another one I like was the mysterious, industrial themes that were used during Trunks first appearance.

Where the original Funi dub failed was in the arrangement / mixing into the show itself. But I think the material was there for a good score. I watched a fandub of BoG which used Faulconer music in a pretty good way that I really enjoyed.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:50 pm

I like the majority of the serious and heroic music. I can't stand the "comedic" music and the little in-between stuff. I really like the original Freeza arc. I like Trunks' theme. I like Earth music both early on and in the Great Saiyaman arc. The Super Saiyan 3 music was good.

For whoever has Spotify, all of Faulconer's Z albums are up there.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:57 pm

I really like the Super Saiyan 3 ascension theme, Heroic Trunks (and the Episodic Trunks variation), Gohan's Anger and the Boo themes. And that's about it really... I honestly can't point out other themes I enjoy, the good ones are a drop of water in an ocean of mediocrity.

One thing I have to say about Faulconer Productions' score is that it makes great video-game music, and the Legend of Goku series proves this.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:13 am

Doctor. wrote:I really like the Super Saiyan 3 ascension theme, Heroic Trunks (and the Episodic Trunks variation), Gohan's Anger and the Boo themes. And that's about it really... I honestly can't point out other themes I enjoy, the good ones are a drop of water in an ocean of mediocrity.

One thing I have to say about Faulconer Productions' score is that it makes great video-game music, and the Legend of Goku series proves this.
If you like SSJ3 and Buu music in particular you should definitely give Julius Dobos a listen if you haven't already: http://www.juliusdobos.com/
He has a newish album out: http://forgottenfuture.bandcamp.com/alb ... dio-master
It's bit more chill than the DBZ music.
Julius of course is the true composer of SSJ3 and the Buu themes.
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:11 pm

I do like certain select tracks from Faulconer's OST, such as the SSJ Theme, Vegeta's SSJ Theme, Gohan Power's Up and the SSJ3 Ascension Theme. But like Doctor. commented, Faulconer's OST would be best suited for a video game than animated show.