Super - will you buy it for DVD/BD with bad animation left?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Super - will you buy it for DVD/BD with bad animation left?

Post by coola » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:47 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSkcav5LYIU After watching that video, and some episodes, i seriously doubt that, it is scandal, that Japanese animators have to work in such conditions, and anime producers treat anime more and more often as just advertisement for figures, for Sailor Moon Crystal and Saint Seiya, they at least fix errors, but, if Super episodes will continue to look that bad as now, I'm not sure if i will suport such badly designed product.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

TripleRach

Re: Super - will you buy it for DVD/BD with bad animation le

Post by TripleRach » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:16 am

Well, I already have the first two Blu-ray boxes preordered, though I may have to cancel them if financial problems crop up before the release dates.

I may not be the best example, since I'm a completionist and collector nerd who likes supporting the franchise, so I would buy Super either way. But I will be very disappointed if there are no corrections for some of the worst shots.

I am hopeful that they will fix at least a few things though, especially after all the outrage over Episode 5.

EDIT: I realized the opening line makes me sound kind of irresponsible. The "financial problems" in question would be like "too many Figuarts I want to preorder next month." I have a fairly strict entertainment budget...
-Rachel

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:26 am

Episode 5 is the only real bad one that needs correcting I can live with the other eps we have. And considering 5 can be skipped (watch the BoG fight instead). I will still buy Super once FUNi license it, no way I can afford the Japanese set at this current time. Animation isn't make or break for me if the story is good that's all I care about ultimately.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:50 pm

I'm buying it because it's DragonBall

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:06 pm

There's no way I'm paying the high price they've put on the box sets unless they clean up the animation.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:09 pm

I'll buy once it's release it here. I'm also waiting for the Boo saga of Kai.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:12 pm

I still plan on getting the show on blu-ray no matter how bad the animation is.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:14 pm

I'll buy it for conventional reasons.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:30 pm

Since I'm not watching it digitally, yeah.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:36 pm

You sound like you just watched that video and no episode at all, as episode 5 is no fair representation of the show, nothing looked remotely close to it, or even to Soul of Gold and Sailormoon's standards.
That one will definitely be fixed. And it was an accident that was not supposed to happen, as part of the same staff made the very popular episode 11.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:51 pm

The bad animation of episode 5 is incredible, you'd be nuts not to want to purchase that! And I'm dead fucking serious when I say this, it's easily the Batman & Robin of the franchise bar none.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:52 pm

I'll start picking up the Blu-ray boxes when they hit the end of the "Ressurection F" arc. No sense buying an inferior version of something I already own.
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:59 pm

Bad animation aside, I'd still buy Super on Blu-Ray, just to support the franchise I love dearly.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:09 pm

I'm the minority here being a dub fan, but I'm waiting for the FUNi release. I'll be getting that regardless of what they fix.
I have no interest in buying the subless overpriced Toei ones straight from Japan, with or without improved animation

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:28 am

Zombie wrote:I'll buy once it's release it here. I'm also waiting for the Boo saga of Kai.
Speaking of Kai, what happened to the Dub? Are they just going to stop at Cell?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:37 am

I will buy the series, regardless of whether the animation is fixed or not. But I won't be purchasing the Japanese releases when they don't have subs for me to understand the material, as well as being ~three times the price of Funimation's eventual release. So I'll just wait until they get around to it, whenever that is.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:43 am

Araki wrote:You sound like you just watched that video and no episode at all, as episode 5 is no fair representation of the show, nothing looked remotely close to it, or even to Soul of Gold and Sailormoon's standards.
That one will definitely be fixed. And it was an accident that was not supposed to happen, as part of the same staff made the very popular episode 11.
I think the animation has looked poor throughout the whole series so far, it's not just episode 5 that is bad.

No way would i buy Dragon Ball Super in it's current state, it looks and is a really poor anime as it is.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:58 am

Episode #5 is what happens when your animation supervisor has no time to polish the episode, let alone do key animation for it. The other episodes of the series, bar the outstanding Episode #4, are what happen when your animation supervisors have next to no time to polish the episode.

I'm not sure if I will buy them. Box #1 might be worth it just to see how Tate tries to salvage Episode #5, if at all.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:38 am

I will buy all the sets, if someone here confirms that the animation has been fixed(even if a little bit).

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:38 am

I'll buy a future French release.