Is the DB Super 100 episode rumor false?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Araki
Advanced Regular

Re: Is the DB Super 100 episode rumor false?

Post by Araki » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:16 pm

I think it's arrogant, to say the least, to think a series that became a worldwide phenomenon, using its original soundtrack and following the original script everywhere, was "saved" by changes like a questionable translation and a different soundtrack one company made thinking of one country.

Because for people outside America, with no nostalgic attachments to Bruce Faulconer (who frankly, is a nobody for foreign viewers), Funi or whatever, you'll be in trouble trying to find a fan of that work...

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:55 am

DragonHermit wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:The original FUNi dub had a "so bad, it's good" charm to it, but Kai has made the original FUNi dub of Z obsolete and at the same time proved that underneath the bad acting, awful script and unfitting soundtrack, there was a damn good shonen action anime to be watched.
wth? you realize that was the #1 cartoon for many years in US when it first aired? it was the most watched show on cartoon network history at that time.
A lot of people who watched DBZ at the time on Toonami was around the ages of 5 - 13. Younger kids watch it because it was cool and awesome. A lot of us didn't know any better when it came to the dub. 1999 - 2003 dub of DBZ was pretty awful and being successful does not mean it's good.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:25 am

Because for people outside America, with no nostalgic attachments to Bruce Faulconer (who frankly, is a nobody for foreign viewers), Funi or whatever, you'll be in trouble trying to find a fan of that work...
I'm from UK and didn't watch the series until long after it finished airing so I didn't have any nostalgic attachment for it and I think the Bruce Faulconer score is 10x better than the original which I think is so bad that I went through all the effort to replace the Kai soundtrack just so I didn't have to listen to it.

I'd never have liked the show half as much if Iit wasn't for the Faulconer score.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:43 am

DragonHermit wrote:I don't think that can be argued for music, seeing the amount of fans Faulconer has, and the millions of views his songs get today.
The same came be said for the original score.
DragonHermit wrote:Kai's music is carnival fair music.
The same can, has been, and still is said about the Faulconer Productions replacement score.

Look, I'm sorry that I'm taking advantage and getting the "last word" here, but none of this has anything to do anymore with Dragon Ball Super and its intended length. These conversations are fine to have, but please have them in another, more-appropriate place.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:39 am

(DELETE))))
Last edited by Ree on Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:53 am

Ree wrote:as far as DB Supers music id rather have Scott Morgan as a composer :D

Did you not see what VegettoEX said about going off-topic regarding musical aspect of the series?

I absolutely have no interest in reading about the music in this thread because it's not the topic we are discussing, so can we please tread back to its original purpose? Thank you.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:57 am

oh sorry about that!
If Super improves then i would like 100 episodes at least.
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:04 pm

I guess it was a tentative number, or maybe the one set by default if they didn't specify the number of episodes.
Since anime series (unless you're working with a fixed episode count from the beginning) don't seem to have a clear division by seasons, I'd find it weird that they had secured 100 episodes before starting.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:03 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: A lot of people who watched DBZ at the time on Toonami was around the ages of 5 - 13. Younger kids watch it because it was cool and awesome. A lot of us didn't know any better when it came to the dub. 1999 - 2003 dub of DBZ was pretty awful and being successful does not mean it's good.
I didn't grow up with the English dub as I was an immigrant from Europe, and I was already a huge fan of DB before I encountered Funi version, and imo original Funimation dub + Bruce Faulconer was the best version out there. I'm not saying it wasn't a good series before, since it was already my favourite anime, but that version blew every other version out of the water.

Anime fans are massive hipsters who hate on anything mainstream, but the reality is what it is. I think the English Kai version improves Goku and Vegeta's voices, due to Schemmel and Sabat gaining more experience, but many characters like Gohan, Cell, etc... get worse. The music is lackluster to say the least. The original Japanese version only had 1 epic moment, which was Gohan going SSJ2. The themes were good, but soundtrack...
UltimateHammerBro wrote:I guess it was a tentative number, or maybe the one set by default if they didn't specify the number of episodes.
Since anime series (unless you're working with a fixed episode count from the beginning) don't seem to have a clear division by seasons, I'd find it weird that they had secured 100 episodes before starting.
Well RoF, Champa, etc.. should add up to at least 50/60 and that won't explore all the 12 universes so I'd be surprised if it didn't pass 100.

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:36 am

Considering the animation quality is more or less at the same level as One Piece, I'd say the rumor is probably true (as in, it will last at least 100 eps). Most shounen series with a relatively low number of episodes (50-60 range or less) tend to have a much superior animation quality than what we're seeing in Super.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:26 am

I think it will be around 100 episodes. The TOEI's Saint Seiya Omega was at the same episode count (97 episodes)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:25 am

I for one HOPE this series is only for 100 episodes, cuz I don't want Toei and Toriyama to milk the hell outta this, they need to have it planned through.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:13 am

EXBadguy wrote:I for one HOPE this series is only for 100 episodes, cuz I don't want Toei and Toriyama to milk the hell outta this, they need to have it planned through.
One of the reasons behind the retellings is probably because they are planning a long way ahead. I mean, assuming RoF ends on episode 28, they obviously don't want to have a fully new arc that will be done in only 20 episodes or so.

If they really went for 100 episodes but it gets an extension, though, i hope the decision happens not too late. In Saint Seiya Omega the second season clearly wasn't as concise as the first, likely because it was greenlighted too late during season 1's run. And we know there will be no time to take a break between seasons.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:22 am

100 episodes is a lot of episodes. Even with the movie retellings that'll be over by episode 30. There's still 70 episodes after that...you really think they can have a story go on for 70 episodes?

Even the Saiyan saga with all the filler had the Vegeta fight over by episode 35. And that's with filler mind you. In fact almost all the individual DBZ sagas were pretty short, with only the Freeza one really extended by pointless fillers.

Ssgvegito30
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssgvegito30 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:36 am

It's not possible there has been no tv show in the history of television series that has been given a green light for 100 episodes it doesn't work that way every show starts off with few episodes if they start off on a good note then the series gets more seasons or episodes.....
"You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there's one thing a Saiyan always keeps! His pride!"

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:02 am

Ssgvegito30 wrote:It's not possible there has been no tv show in the history of television series that has been given a green light for 100 episodes it doesn't work that way every show starts off with few episodes if they start off on a good note then the series gets more seasons or episodes.....
It does work that way because it's Dragon Ball, and it's not late night anime. World Trigger isn't as nearly as big and it was greenlighted for 50 episodes right off the bat last year, because it airs on a 6:30am timeslot. Toei + morning timeslot = long run. If they were not aiming for a long run they wouldn't even start it.

Many people were confused that DB Super would have 26 episodes or so at first because that's how late night anime works, and that's off the table already. A morning series like DB doesn't get breaks or seasons, it will keep airing as long as it does well.
precita wrote:There's still 70 episodes after that...you really think they can have a story go on for 70 episodes?
They had GT going on for 64... :lol:

And that one was harder to do, since they didn't have Toriyama handling them the plot and all the character designs. Once the U6 arc starts, it's gonna be like Super started again. And they'll certainly have a lot of story ready.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:35 am

precita wrote:100 episodes is a lot of episodes. Even with the movie retellings that'll be over by episode 30. There's still 70 episodes after that...you really think they can have a story go on for 70 episodes?

Even the Saiyan saga with all the filler had the Vegeta fight over by episode 35. And that's with filler mind you. In fact almost all the individual DBZ sagas were pretty short, with only the Freeza one really extended by pointless fillers.
The "Buu" saga was like 70 episodes, almost 100 if you include the Gohan intro stuff as part of that "saga" -- to be fair, I find the whole saga division stuff a bit arbitrary -- you can subdivide it into as small or as large pieces as you want. It was written on a week by week basis, may the cards fall where they may, not in a "I want this saga to be this long". My guess the new content will go on for as long as it is reasonable for it to go on.

Consider this: Kai was initially greenlit for about 100 episodes. Toriko that flopped majorly still ran for 140 episodes in that timeslot. They even broadcast the remainder of Kai and that was like what? 80 episodes?

I think it is not unreasonable for Toei to be like: this Super show, it might run a couple of years, right? That is 100 episodes without trying.

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:32 pm

Ssgvegito30 wrote:It's not possible there has been no tv show in the history of television series that has been given a green light for 100 episodes it doesn't work that way every show starts off with few episodes if they start off on a good note then the series gets more seasons or episodes.....
Provided I'm not remembering this incorrectly, when Pocket Monsters (Pokemon) was originally planned out, it was green lighted for 78 episodes from the get go. It's not impossible to think that Toei Animation has at least 100 episodes planned for the series from the start. As to whether or not it actually makes it to that amount, is an entirely different matter altogether. Just because something's planned, doesn't mean it'll go just as planned.

At any rate, the information came from Toei Europe's website, which has a good track record of being accurate enough when it comes to episode counts.