Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection '

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:25 pm

ABED wrote:I've finally seen the movie and the fight against Freeza's army makes ZERO sense. Unless Roshi has been training for years, he shouldn't be able to fight against Freeza's soldiers, and even Tenshinhan shouldn't be having trouble against them, much less Kuririn and Gohan. What's worse is that Piccolo has trouble against one of Freeza's goons
Roshi beating them can be somewhat excused since it's implied Freeza basically had to scrape the bottom of the shit barrel just to bring as many guys as he has now plus the movie does show Roshi quite tired after fighting. The others have no excuse, it doesn't make sense.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:31 pm

It also doesn't make sense that Goku could've been shot through the chest by a mere ray gun.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ss4songoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ss4songoku » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:05 pm

I understand Roshi not making sense but I don't see any issue with the other Z fighters. Frieza's solders for the most part are incredibly weak. As for Goku being taken down by a ray gun I have no clue XD

KonohaKillas

Post by KonohaKillas » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:11 pm

ss4songoku wrote:I understand Roshi not making sense but I don't see any issue with the other Z fighters. Freeza's solders for the most part are incredibly weak. As for Goku being taken down by a ray gun I have no clue XD
I see where you are having trouble with this, however the world of Dragon Ball is chock full of little inconsistencies, you just have to go along with it, the fact is that if it happened in the film then the new fact is set that if his guard is down then a ray gun can do this. It doesn't really have to make sense in comparison to previous notions.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:39 pm

The ray gun only works if you are a good guy. If you are a bad guy, you are invulnerable to such a peashooter.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:21 pm

Just like most of you guys, today I picked up my copy of Revival of "F" and got a chance to watch it in Japanese for the first time. Well... Did anyone else pick up weird vibes from FUNi's subtitles? Some things were strangely/poorly worded, the word "earth" wasn't capitalized in many instances when it should have been ("the earth" vs. "Earth"), and Kame-sennin even says "senzu beans" when he and Kuririn arrive (though it's properly referred to as just "senzu" the rest of the time). Oh, and Beerus is still "Beers" even though I thought Sabat said FUNimation chose to use "Beerus" for searchability.

KonohaKillas

Post by KonohaKillas » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:55 pm

I have relevant information for everyone who may have not checked yet, the funimationdigitalcopy.com is now up and running. All of you guys that pre-ordered Resurrection F and have the code in hand are entitled to access to the film digitally and i was pleasantly suprised that it even lets you download for offline viewing through their app on iphone. Just a heads up as i was messaged that some people were still confused. :thumbup:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:10 pm

After what feels like forever, I finally got to see this movie with my own eyes today.

The verdict? Pretty much exactly as I already thought I'd feel. I enjoyed it, but it was definitely no Battle of Gods. Some of the best stuff was easily the fight between the rest of the heroes and the soldiers Freeza brought along, but there was some pretty good stuff in SSGSS Goku's fight with Golden Freeza too. Jaco totally stole the scenes he was in too, to the point that I kind of wish he was in more of them, though it fits perfectly with his character to just kind of sit on the sidelines and not get super involved in things, as well as pretending not to see things that he'd normally have to try and take action over. I can't wait to see what more they do with him in Super.

While I didn't enjoy it as much as the last movie, I do still feel that a lot of the gripes against the movie are made a bit over the top. Even the infamous laser ring is no more out of place than any other time a stronger character has been injured by a well placed strike by a weaker character. I do still kind of question the idea that Vegeta of all people overthinks things though...if anything, he's the one that runs in head first without thinking, waaaaayyy more than Goku does. I guess they just wanted to more so express that Goku needed to learn again when to take things more seriously, whereas Vegeta needs to learn to mellow out more, though, or something.

Definitely interested to see how Super is going to handle this arc. There's a lot more that could be (and arguably needs to be) fleshed out here than there was in Battle of Gods, so here's to hoping some issues that really are issues are addressed.

Oh, and since I was watching this with my girlfriend today, we watched it dubbed. I'll get around to a re-watch of it subbed by myself pretty soon, as well as the extras.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:24 pm

FUNimation voice actors recording their lines ! Enjoy guys ;) Hey FUNi, please keep Chris Ayres forever, this guy IS freeza. :clap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA5br3F2_Ts

ss4songoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ss4songoku » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:25 pm

KonohaKillas wrote:
ss4songoku wrote:I understand Roshi not making sense but I don't see any issue with the other Z fighters. Freeza's solders for the most part are incredibly weak. As for Goku being taken down by a ray gun I have no clue XD
I see where you are having trouble with this, however the world of Dragon Ball is chock full of little inconsistencies, you just have to go along with it, the fact is that if it happened in the film then the new fact is set that if his guard is down then a ray gun can do this. It doesn't really have to make sense in comparison to previous notions.
I realize that but I think the ray gun thing was insane even for dragon ball. I think a more plausible scenario would be the ray gun blast distracting Goku for an instant and Frieza shooting him with a death beam.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:23 am

Bullza wrote:Sold about 50,000 copies in two weeks compared to 64,000 copies for Battle of Gods.
More like 51,000 x 63,000 according to the sources i've saw.

Anyway, RoF retelling aside, the fact RoF was fairly more viewed in theaters made it to be expected. And 51,000 is still awesome, few franchises break that number these days.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:51 am

Anybody else having trouble with the digital copy? Mine is showing up in Vudu but not in my Ultraviolet Library even though the two are linked. My phone's a Windows Phone so I was hoping to use Flixster to play it, but it won't work unless it's in my UV library... Anybody know how to work this stuff?
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Thedoctor2016

Post by Thedoctor2016 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:40 am

My only problem they should have brought all the Z fighters including Yamacha and Goten and Trunks well they could also add them in Super i hope at least as it would make the film perfection in my eyes

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:32 am

That's one area that I do hope Super expands on more, is including some of the missing characters that I can't help but think were cut out for time more than anything else, especially since our background crew actually did stuff for a bit in this one. My girlfriend threw her hands up in the air in defeat as soon as Yamcha being left behind was mentioned. :lol: With a TV adaptation, outside of just playing it way too safe and keeping things the same, there's no reason not to let Yamcha, Goten, Trunks, and Boo get in on the action too. Hell, not involving Trunks was already a bit of a travesty given the comedy gold waiting to be tapped with Freeza kinda/sorta/not really recognizing him.

Oh yeah, and speaking of, was it just me, or did the dub not have the line about Majin Boo sleeping and Goten and Trunks being left behind so they didn't get into trouble? I remember hearing Kuririn mention that they still have Boo and Gohan so they can stall for a while, but that was the last mention I remember being made of them.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:09 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:That's one area that I do hope Super expands on more, is including some of the missing characters that I can't help but think were cut out for time more than anything else, especially since our background crew actually did stuff for a bit in this one. My girlfriend threw her hands up in the air in defeat as soon as Yamcha being left behind was mentioned. :lol: With a TV adaptation, outside of just playing it way too safe and keeping things the same, there's no reason not to let Yamcha, Goten, Trunks, and Boo get in on the action too. Hell, not involving Trunks was already a bit of a travesty given the comedy gold waiting to be tapped with Freeza kinda/sorta/not really recognizing him.

Oh yeah, and speaking of, was it just me, or did the dub not have the line about Majin Boo sleeping and Goten and Trunks being left behind so they didn't get into trouble? I remember hearing Kuririn mention that they still have Boo and Gohan so they can stall for a while, but that was the last mention I remember being made of them.
The dub has the line about Goten and Trunks, it goes something like this: "My mom (Chi-Chi) made me promise not to tell Goten or Trunks. Knowing those two they'd challenge Freeza to a duel." Still doesn't explain why they wouldn't just ignore his warning and go to fight anyway but whatever. Boo sleeping was cut out though.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:10 am

Huh, I must've missed that line somehow. Still curious as to why they'd leave out Boo sleeping since Kuririn still mentions wanting him to come along. Ah well, there've been worse flubs over the years.
Twitter

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:24 am

I really liked the movie. Yeah, damn near everything in it was stupid, but I enjoyed it. Definitely liked it more than Battle pf Gods, I wasn't too impressed with. Maybe that was because of its over hype that didn't live up to it.

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:45 am

One thought that crawled into my mind while watching it again last night: How would this movie sound with a high-budget score by Yamamoto be?

It really is a shame that he had to stoop to plagiarization because I really enjoyed what he brought to the table for modern Dragon Ball. Sumitomo wasn't horrendous in this film like he was in Kai or continues to be in Super, thankfully. I just wish someone else would take over.
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:30 pm

I know DB has a bunch of inconsistencies, but Shisami only has a power on par with Dodoria and Zarbon. Piccolo's DWARFS all of them, but he needs Gohan's help? That took me completely out of the movie.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:36 pm

At least Piccolo got pressured by an actual opponent as opposed to the LOLaser that almost killed Goku.