Thoughts on A hero's legacy ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Thoughts on A hero's legacy ?

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:32 pm

Hey I'm making another topic about GT :lol: anyway what do people feel about A hero's legacy ? Personally I thought it was good and is in my top 7 Dragon Ball movies.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

precita
Banned

Re: Thoughts on A hero's legacy ?

Post by precita » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:48 pm

I liked it a lot. A great epilogue for the series after the last GT episode.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:02 pm

I really liked it. It's a good way to think about what would have happened in the future. The only issue I have is that it takes place 100 years later. That would mean either Pan was a senior citizen when she had a kid, or her kid was a senior citizen when having Goku Jr.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:42 pm

It's actually a TV special, for what that matters, despite the way it was marketed in its eventual U.S. release.

I wish I liked it more than I did, as I really find large stretches quite boring. I love, love, love the idea of the real world having caught up with Dragon Ball, though. It's a solid setup for the epilogue of the series, and something I have a lot of fondness for even if I don't always find it fun to watch. I definitely enjoy how subdued its approach is.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:07 pm

Cipher wrote:It's actually a TV special, for what that matters, despite the way it was marketed in its eventual U.S. release.
Damn it that's what I thought but I wasn't 100 percent sure :cry: .
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:33 pm

Elderly Pan was pretty cool, Gokû Jr wasn't that interesting, the original Gokû was adorable with his 'trying to figure out how many greats' distance he is from Gokû Jr. It seems suspect that there'd also be a "Vegeta Jr" in the same generation. I liked how not!Bulma had slightly more saiyajin-ish hair.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:39 pm

The fact that the Son and Briefs family grew distant to the point where Goku Jr and Vegeta Jr don't know each other has always struck me as pretty disheartening. I mean I thought Goku not seeing his friends in five whole years at the end of Z was sad, but this takes it to a whole new level. I mean I get that Goku is more of a loner than some people think, but c'mon.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:44 pm

Honestly, just the last 5 minutes of this special is one of the best moments in the entire Dragon Ball franchise. Everything else is so boring to me. The villains and Puck aren't very interesting. The Super Saiyan Resolution is so forced and out place with the rest of the special that it really brings it down. Honestly, remove the 3 henchman villains and just have Goku Jr. have hidden power instead of SSJ power and the TV special would be a masterpiece imo.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:21 am

Had a lot more heart put into it than most of GT.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:43 am

It's a pretty good "series finale." The dub, as it is wont to do, did its own thing, but shockingly I don't hate their version of the final scene. If there's any argument that Menza was a better composer than Faulconer, it ends with that scene. Funnily enough, but not at all surprising, the tone is completely different than the original with Tokunaga's score.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:19 pm

That's how you end a series.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:06 pm

I like it better then most of GT. A bit sappy at points, but overall I like it. I didn't see it until Funimation put it out on DVD in 2004 because I never had any luck on tracking down subs for it back in the day.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:50 pm

I thought it was a very well done story. And Goku Jr. meeting Goku is just so wonderful on so many levels.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:40 pm

Yes, that special is definitely overloaded with nostalgia which I absolutely love. Time has caught up and the world changed. I like that they went so far into the future, it really conveys that sad tone when they show how Goku Jr. struggles with his self-confidence as a regular human citizen. Him meeting his ancestor who reassures him that everything will be okay is like a subtle nod or farewell to the audience, reassuring us that Dragon Ball will never die. Goku's spirit is eternal.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:35 pm

I haven't seen it in a while, but I just remember despising the entire special. All the characters were lame... The heroes bland. The villains forgettable. The stupid Super Saiyan transformation made me face palm. It just flat out sucked for me. I should probably give it a rewatch just to be fair as I've only seen the English version as a kid, but honestly even back then when I thought Dragon Ball GT was pretty cool, I think it's just alright now and that it's hate is often unwarranted, I utterly loathed this special. I bought the tape when it came out as a kid, watched it once, and never watched it again.

Scarlet Spider
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scarlet Spider » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:52 pm

It was a damn tear jerker. Other than that, I never watched it again.

GTX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GTX » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:32 pm

soppa saia people wrote:Hey I'm making another topic about GT :lol: anyway what do people feel about A hero's legacy ? Personally I thought it was good and is in my top 7 Dragon Ball movies.
It's contradicting the dragon saga arc so it's non canon to GT's
The movie probably been made before the 24 episode of GT anime extrension was greenlited.
So the movie didn't cover the last 2 sagas.
The question has been asked by you 10000000000 times and we have become very efficient.
I don't care about non canon stuffs like game, guide book, movie, etc
Spare the trouble because GT is CANON
Be quick and be done with it
inactive :P

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:49 pm

precita wrote:I liked it a lot. A great epilogue for the series after the last GT episode.
But it is not really the epilogue. The epilogue is the final scene of Episode 64 - and will probably always stay the epilogue of the franchise because even sequels that would come after GT would surely never make it past the 100 years.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:07 pm

GTX wrote:
soppa saia people wrote:Hey I'm making another topic about GT :lol: anyway what do people feel about A hero's legacy ? Personally I thought it was good and is in my top 7 Dragon Ball movies.
The movie probably been made before the 24 episode of GT anime extrension was greenlited.
And your point is ?

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

GTX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GTX » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:35 pm

soppa saia people wrote:
GTX wrote:
And your point is ?
What did you mean?
You asked about someone's feel so that was my point and answer.
The question has been asked by you 10000000000 times and we have become very efficient.
I don't care about non canon stuffs like game, guide book, movie, etc
Spare the trouble because GT is CANON
Be quick and be done with it
inactive :P