Battle of Gods in Portugal

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Puto
I Live Here

Battle of Gods in Portugal

Post by Puto » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:35 am

Netflix Portugal just launched this week. Among many other titles it includes that we've never had here in Portugal before is Battle of Gods. It's in Japanese with Portuguese subtitles; the subtitles match the terminology used in our Dragon Ball Z dub (guerreiros do espaço, superguerreiros, etc.) plus "Bills" (ugh) and "Kai Supremo" (why?!). They do seem to otherwise be a pretty straight translation of the Japanese audio. Another odd thing is that though the ending song is the Engrish version of Flow's head cha-la, the subtitles playing with it are actually a translation of the Japanese song. So go figure.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: Battle of Gods in Portugal

Post by LightBing » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:37 am

They're smart enough to cash in a country that loves Dragon Ball. Although it's very late to the party. I wonder if they will stream Super in the future. Shame Netflix doesn't release their numbers, I would be curious to know how many will watch BoG.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:10 am

They're still using the old terminology? And Bills as well? :| Well, at least I'm happy there's finally a legal way to watch Battle of Gods. I'd appreciate it more if it was a physical release with a dubbed version also included, but that will probably never happen at this point. Hopefully they'll dub Super, though.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:24 am

Thanks for the heads-up. I don't use that kind of services, So I would never know.
Its better than anything, I guess.

Portuguese fans deserve much more though.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:41 pm

Is all the terminology the one used in our dub or is it just the "known terms"? I assume Vegeta doesn't actually use "Cachalote" like in the old days (I would love it if it did, please let it be real) and that the fusion of Goten and Trunks isn't "Gotrunks" (is it said in the movie? I can't remember), GT also used Kaioh when talking about Elder Kai (Z used Grand Elder) so it's wierd to see them not going all the way, also, how is Tarble handled?

I don't really plan to use Netflix until the beggining of 2016 but it's nice to see that Portugal has the movie in some form or another. What's stopping them for showing it on TV on a channel like BIGGS, even if subtitled?

Fuck Bills tho.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:43 pm

"Bills" is not a wrong term. All the dubs that were did before the english dub(and some that were did after too, but not all of them) used "Bills" and not "Beerus".

About the old terminology, they still using it in the catalan dub too.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:47 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:"Bills" is not a wrong term. All the dubs that were did before the english dub(and some that were did after too, but not all of them) used "Bills" and not "Beerus".

About the old terminology, they still using it in the catalan dub too.
I would even prefer "Cervejas" to Bills, It's 2015 and it's disgusting that it's still appearing on official releases, don't want to use "Beerus"? Fine, use "Beers" instead.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Tumblr

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:05 pm

Man, first Kai, now even Battle of Gods? They're just not making European Portuguese dubs for Dragon Ball shows nowadays, huh?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:47 pm

Quebaz wrote:Is all the terminology the one used in our dub or is it just the "known terms"?
So far, I've seen: Teletransporte instantâneo, Freezer, Wiss (ugh), Kaíbe, Cachalote, guerreiro do espaço, Superguerreiro, Dragão Sagrado, bolas de cristal, Satã, Guerreiro Intergalático, Krilin.

They used 'Superguerreiro 3' though, not the old dub's absurd 'Supersuperguerreiro', and Gotenks rather than Gotrunks.

P.S. This is not the extended edition.

Tarble was never mentioned by name in Battle of Gods.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:01 pm

So it's GT levels of acurracy It seems (would have prefered "Movimento Instantâneo" from Movie 8 instead of what we got), well I'm okay with it. Seeing "Guerreiro do Espaço" not capitalized and "Super Guerreiro" as a single word is bugging me out tho. God I really wish we had a dubbed version of this, COME ON PORTUGAL, I just want to hear Henrique Feist as Goku once again!
A LUZ INFINITA!
Tumblr

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:35 pm

Puto wrote:
Quebaz wrote:Is all the terminology the one used in our dub or is it just the "known terms"?
So far, I've seen: Teletransporte instantâneo, Freezer, Wiss (ugh), Kaíbe, Cachalote, guerreiro do espaço, Superguerreiro, Dragão Sagrado, bolas de cristal, Satã, Guerreiro Intergalático, Krilin.

They used 'Superguerreiro 3' though, not the old dub's absurd 'Supersuperguerreiro', and Gotenks rather than Gotrunks.

"Bills" and "Wiss" were the names that were announced in ALL media before the english dub was did. EVERYONE called them "Bills" and "Wiss" before the release of english BOG dub. It's not wrong call them like that. Stopping saying "ugh", guys.

The old european terminology is much worse than "Bills" and "Wiss".

And for what I know, the old AB Group term in the portuguese dub for "Super Saiyan 3" was not "Super Super Guerreiro", but "Mega Guerreiro"(Mega Warrior). Good that at least they used "Super Warrior 3" instead of "Mega Warrior".

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:49 pm

Out of curiosity, what do they call Super Saiyan God? Super Guerreiro Deus?

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:36 am

Yes, "Superguerreiro Deus" to be exact. Also, there's a few instances of "Bills, o Destruidor".

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:46 am

SaintEvolution wrote:
Puto wrote:

"Bills" and "Wiss" were the names that were announced in ALL media before the english dub was did. EVERYONE called them "Bills" and "Wiss" before the release of english BOG dub. It's not wrong call them like that. Stopping saying "ugh", guys.

And for what I know, the old AB Group term in the portuguese dub for "Super Saiyan 3" was not "Super Super Guerreiro", but "Mega Guerreiro"(Mega Warrior). Good that at least they used "Super Warrior 3" instead of "Mega Warrior".
The Portuguese dub used 'Mega Guerreiro' only for one episode, after which it was always 'Super Super Guerreiro'.

And no, a lot of people here were using Beerus even before the dub—Kanzenshuu were the ones who first made use of that spelling, even. And all of Toei's Japanese merchandise had 'Beers' except a third-party Nintendo 3DS case, which was the only thing to say 'Bills' in Japan. Just a lot of less-knowledgeable people used Bills because that's what DB Wikia happened to have.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:14 am

SaintEvolution wrote:"Bills" and "Wiss" were the names that were announced in ALL media before the english dub was did. EVERYONE called them "Bills" and "Wiss" before the release of english BOG dub. It's not wrong call them like that. Stopping saying "ugh", guys.
Except that we know what their names were derived from: "Beer/Virus", and "Whiskey". Neither "Bills" nor "Wiss" make any sense considering the origins of their names. Calling them that makes as much sense as, say, calling the girl who lives with the Turtle Sage in the first DB-series "Launch". Sure it's used in one or more officially translated versions... but it's still plainly a mistranslation.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:22 am

Who did the translation? Same guy that did DB Kai?
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:57 am

Puto wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:
Puto wrote: So far, I've seen: Teletransporte instantâneo, Freezer, Wiss (ugh), Kaíbe, Cachalote, guerreiro do espaço, Superguerreiro, Dragão Sagrado, bolas de cristal, Satã, Guerreiro Intergalático, Krilin.

The Portuguese dub used 'Mega Guerreiro' only for one episode, after which it was always 'Super Super Guerreiro'.

And no, a lot of people here were using Beerus even before the dub—Kanzenshuu were the ones who first made use of that spelling, even. And all of Toei's Japanese merchandise had 'Beers' except a third-party Nintendo 3DS case, which was the only thing to say 'Bills' in Japan. Just a lot of less-knowledgeable people used Bills because that's what DB Wikia happened to have.
Not everybody was here that time. And the DB Wikia have a bigger audience.
Vegard Aune wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:"Bills" and "Wiss" were the names that were announced in ALL media before the english dub was did. EVERYONE called them "Bills" and "Wiss" before the release of english BOG dub. It's not wrong call them like that. Stopping saying "ugh", guys.
Except that we know what their names were derived from: "Beer/Virus", and "Whiskey". Neither "Bills" nor "Wiss" make any sense considering the origins of their names. Calling them that makes as much sense as, say, calling the girl who lives with the Turtle Sage in the first DB-series "Launch". Sure it's used in one or more officially translated versions... but it's still plainly a mistranslation.
"Bills" and "Wiss" are romanizations of "Birusu" and "Wiszu". Just that, it's not really incorrect.

If it's to consider "the origin of the name", it would be incorrect refering to Goku as "goku" for example, 'cause the character was based in the "Sun Wukong" from that chinese story.

And yeah, "Lunch" is not incorrect too.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:19 pm

Bummer that they went full-on with the dubisms, urgh. At this point, I'm okay with not getting a dub, considering the treatment it'd get. AND the reaction from both sides of the fandom, which Sailor Moon Crystal clearly showed.
SaintEvolution wrote:"Bills" and "Wiss" are romanizations of "Birusu" and "Wiszu". Just that, it's not really incorrect.
Except it is. You could romanize Super Saiyan Blue as Super Saiyan Buruu all day, but it'd still be wrong no matter how many times you wrote it. And it's still a romanization sooooo if you don't wanna accept it, more power to ya?
SaintEvolution wrote:And yeah, "Lunch" is not incorrect too.
It's not incorrect because it's in line with the pun. You're basically proving yourself wrong on the Beerus and Whis front.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:23 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Who did the translation? Same guy that did DB Kai?
I would assume it's not him because his Kai subs didn't have the dubisms (well except "Feijões Mágicos" and "Tartaruga Genial").
A LUZ INFINITA!
Tumblr

danielsan_190196
Beyond Newbie

Post by danielsan_190196 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:28 pm

It doesn't matter if it's Whis/Wiss/Bills/Beerus or cachalote do espaço, it's great to see that Portuguese fans can watch Battle of Gods legally.